Civilization VI

Can anyone give me an idiots guide on how to edit a size?

If people are hating the over aggression try the islands setup on create game I went with, you'll have the odd war but with separation it's much more sedate.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide on how to edit a size?

If people are hating the over aggression try the islands setup on create game I went with, you'll have the odd war but with separation it's much more sedate.

Seems it's as straightforwards as editing a text file. It's always smart to make a copy of these files saved as "Maps.xml.backup" or something similar just in case you ever need to go back to the default settings.

1) Open up the folder which you installed Civ 6 into. For Steam this will be [Drive]/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI
2) Inside the Civ 6 folder navigate to Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data. There should be a load of text files in there.
3) Find the text file called "Maps.xml", right click it and open with Notepad.
4) Near the bottom of this file there is a row which starts with "<Maps>" and then has six rows with "<Row MapSizeType=" followed by "MAPSIZE_DUEL", "MAPSIZE_TINY" etc.. These are the presets for each map size you can select when starting a game. Scroll across until you see "GridWidth="X" GridHeight="Y"". These are the width and height of the map, change them to your desired values, then save and close the file.

A few people have said that changing these can drastically increase the time to generate a map.

I hadn't thought about the island thing, I normally loved tiny islands but the districts system could really screw that over. One thing I kind of like about Civ 6 is that it is forcing me to try out new things e.g. building more cities and not being so damn isolated on islands.

Last edited:
So it's the same situation as Civs 3-5: the correct time to buy is after the first (or second) expansion is released.

Not at all, its a very solid release. A few bugs and things people would like balanced, but nothing major or game breaking. I'd say its a massive improvement on what we'd normally expect at launch.

I certainly don't feel the need to wait for a patch before playing further. Also based on their description of the DLC I don't think we should expect any major game changing additions as we had with Civ V.

Has Civ6 stopped loading for any of you? Was playing fine earlier today but now both mine and my wifes PC will not load into a game. Takes about 2-3mins to load menu when before it was about 15seconds, and then never loads a game. Really annoying!

Sort of enjoying it, massive learning curve I think compared to Civ V (or I've forgotten learning it).
Few gripes;
-mini map is ugly af. Really blocky looking.
-no idea how to create missionaries/spread my religion
-production/research in general is sooo slow and I'm playing on 'quick' setting. Might be because I've no real idea what I'm doing.
-made a great artist & writer and have nowhere to place them. Probably another 35 turns to make applicable building.
-unit movement is incredibly slow. Almost any move, even a promotion or pillage and that's that unit useless to next turn.

I just allowed the Civ 6 install directory in Windows Defender and its working again now. :)

Yeah it's a Windows defender issue. Was playing all weekend and booted it up today. Loading took 5 mins which may look like the game has crashed from the normal 5 -10 seconds. Adding to defender as another forum suggested resolved the issue.

I know it may be obvious but it surprises me how much of a struggle it is last game with cities if you don't have an industrial zone, it makes creating anything in them completely pointless.

Back
Top Bottom