Civilization VI

I'm finding this pretty frustrating so far. Even on lower difficulties I'm finding it hard to build enough stuff to stop getting swarmed. Religion is really doing my head in. I keep getting swarmed by missionaries from every other religion before I can even start producing them myself. If I put any sort of focus into faith I'm getting swarmed in something else.

Just finished my first game with a science victory, it was only prince level but still happy with that considering I was still learning a lot of stuff.

Think I got fairly lucky though as I didn't build up much of an army and only had war declared on me once, and they attacked with some old outdated units (well played AI). I was annoyed that my religion got wiped out straight away but I guess that wasn't a massive issue in the end. Finished with 6 turns to go so it was pretty tight.

Think I definitely need to spread out faster next time, I ended up surrounded with no room for expansion and didn't fancy starting a war to take more territory, only have 4 cities.

Not sure I like the leader agendas, its a nice enough idea but I just end up with most of them disliking me for no good reason.

Has anyone tried editing the xml file to make the Huge map bigger, make it the size of the giant earth map on civ 5, (180x96) ?

I'll give it a try when I'm back from working away but just wondered if anyone had tried it already

I finished my first play through with Rome, won with a cultural victory. The barbarians are incredibly aggressive at the start of the game, I was really not expecting that. The map feels more compacted than V and it seems to get crowded quite quickly.

City planning is a lot more important now with the district system, still a lot to learn for me.

I am enjoying the game, I do think the barbarians need a little nerf though as they are quite overpowered IMO.

I may cave and buy this... the price is putting me off big time though. Still can't find for less than £39, but not sure my willpower will hold any longer

I've played 30h now in 3 days lol and the honeymoon is over

Some of the civs agendas are just bs.

Cleopatra, she starts with more units than me because of difficulty level. She warns me on meeting her on turn 5 I have a small military, well no crap... Turn ten I'm denounced. 15 at war... A long drawn out stone age warrior slinger borefest. I turned it off 25 turns later when I couldn't stop a barb scout coming from the other direction.

It's just not great ai...

Also the tech tree.

All games I'm learning AT rocket infantry before even iron casting... What kind of nonsense is this?

Last edited:
Does map size really feel small compared to V? I don't own VI, but I'm playing V a lot. Can't wait until I can afford it though :D.

One thing that amazes me about the Civ community, is the amount of players still actively playing SP. Especially with it being strategic and turn based.

Aircraft carriers, if you put them in Armada's are you getting the issue of still only getting 2 plane hangers? Is that normal, never played Civ 5 in depth so can't recall if it did that or not. Just sucks a tad as I had 12 carriers with 24 bombers from the airbase, but putting them into 4 Armada's meant only 2 hangers per fleet?

Does map size really feel small compared to V? I don't own VI, but I'm playing V a lot. Can't wait until I can afford it though :D.

One thing that amazes me about the Civ community, is the amount of players still actively playing SP. Especially with it being strategic and turn based.
The time commitment to one game is far beyond most normal people's reach

Yes. Even HUGE map setting, the maps feel small and cramped.
An even if you remove 3-4 Civs from the advance settings, it will place you in the middle of 4 Civs. Which the moment they meet you, are ready to declare war on you, and nothing can change.

And by turn 24 on King and higher you will either have lost, or all the surrounding area populated by enemy cities, crippling your expansion.

Regardless if there is a huge empty land between their capital and you.

To put into perspective. On Huge CIV 6, feels like BERT (Beyond Earth Rising Tide) set on Medium.

Here's one thing I didn't know: If a Barbarian scout finds one of your cities it'll head back to a nearby Barbarian camp. If it reaches it, the Barbarian camp will immediately spawn some cavalry units (Horsemen/Horse Archers early game). This explains a lot :p

@Tombstone

I did changes in the file. It feels big bigger on huge by adding a 100 on the vertical, but need to explore the whole continent to count the tiles

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data

Maps is the name of the file, for those interested

Last edited:
Here's one thing I didn't know: If a Barbarian scout finds one of your cities it'll head back to a nearby Barbarian camp. If it reaches it, the Barbarian camp will immediately spawn some cavalry units (Horsemen/Horse Archers early game). This explains a lot :p

You even get a notification on the right side lol.....
Not sure how people are missing this :P

Civ 6 is Civ 5 on coke, all the civs are charged up to death, they think they have one single military unit more than you and its war dec asap. :rolleyes:

Its ridiculous and retarded, the seems to be no continuity at all with the AI. :confused:

I dunno the game itself is sound and I like that it takes time to know things aspect. But the AI is like? ( from my perspective as a player) You can GTF if you think am going to put up with that ****! :mad:

I've landed on the second island, Spain got a bit necky and started a war but i belted them and took their capital and all they have left is a couple of rubbish little towns. Only other Civ I have found is America and we are allies do plenty of time to continue expanding.

Prince difficulty the AI is pathetic. They have 10 units, don't expand and easy to pick with 3 warriors.
On immortal absolutely insane attacking you from the moment they meet you on turn 10, while they spam settlers and warriors

Finally won my first game with a science victory playing for Queen & Country. The game map was two large land masses, both divided into two continents. By the end I had, more or less, the entirety of one land mass, and had begun to occupy parts of the second one following a late war with America ( I did enjoy dropping several thermonuclear ballistic missiles on them as part of my initial "shock and awe" campaign ). Even on standard pace the game took a long time to complete ... about 18hrs. A lot slower than equivalent settings on Civ 5.

Back
Top Bottom