Civilization VI

Soldato
OP
Still playing here, I do enjoy it and although it's not as good as 5 at the moment in terms of content and gameplay I'm still playing it more than 5 for all those lovely quality of life enhancements. It's worth picking up for £20, but I'm hoping another expansion "fixes" it and I really hope they do something with loading times as they are crazy long past turn 150. I was at a LAN recently and played it there and turn 150 - 180 took as long as 1 - 150 mostly due to loading between turns.

It's an 8/10 game right now.

Wouldn't bother with any DLC unless they are at least 60% off as they are overpriced and don't offer anywhere near enough. Australia are a really nice powerful civilization though and I've been enjoying playing as them.

Associate
i find my self playing this less lately, for some reason when i'm playing single player. The AI builds right on my boarder and i mean the city is right on my boarder after passing a number of what would be better spots for a city, which peevs me off as i still have to build 3 titles away. Then i'll end up going to war as it will keep complaining then declare war on me,

Soldato
Well 5 hrs played so far and it's pretty good.

My main city is under siege from those damned Barbarians who seem to be able to churn out mounted units at a super fast rate. I just about manage to repel them, heal up my army and it all goes off again which means I'm unable to send my force to destroy their base.

Soldato
Yeah the barbarians are definitely more of a challenge, generally I like that though, but it can be annoying depending on what else is going on. You can get a couple of nice boosts out of it though, one for killing a few of them and one for getting a kill with a slinger. The scout is what you want to be looking out for, once he discovers your city he'll head back to camp, and at that point they spawn a few units to come get you.

Soldato
I've just bought this and started a game. A few things -

What the hell have they done to edge scrolling?!... It's bloody annoying now.
My first unit built was a scout. Sent it out when suddenly after a few moves, two barbarian horsemen came out of nowhere and killed it!.. How come barbarians are so much more advanced than you? How did they get horses and spearmen so quickly?!

Caporegime
My main city is under siege from those damned Barbarians who seem to be able to churn out mounted units at a super fast rate. I just about manage to repel them, heal up my army and it all goes off again which means I'm unable to send my force to destroy their base.

Walls are your friend. Once you've built walls simply keep a 1-left builder around for repairs, and simply let the tides of barbarian's dash themselves against your cities.

Also, barbarians only spawn when their scouts find your cities and return to base camp. You can keep them off by preventing the scouts getting close.

Soldato
Have to say, that whilst I really think the ui is generally atrocious, after getting in to a game I think it is excellent. A few AI missteps, but other than that I like most of the changes, and some of them are a big step forward.

As someone who usually favours a culture victory, I really like the changes to culture. Only things I would change is adding theming bonuses for wonders and making it a bit more transparent. I found it difficult to get great people too. Not in love with the change to that.

Also, really disappointed that they have ruined one-city challenges!

Soldato
So whats the verdict on this now, worth getting yet?
Nope. Worst CIV game ever. I regret buying it, let alone pre-ordering it :( Buying a good tier 8 premium tank for WOT is much better value for money.

CIV 5 with the latest expansion, or BERT if you like future, are far better games.

Also CIV VI doesn't allow any meaningful mods except nations, or cosmetics. Nothing to do with the abysmal AI, which feels a copy from Civ Rev (PS3)

Associate
So I'm majorly disappointed that after 3/4 of a year the game isn't stable.

I'm running a i7 4770k, 16GB of Ram, GTX 1070 and the game sits on a M.2 drive at a 3.2GBs read/1.5Gbs write drive. It takes an age to load a custom game of the largest map (If it doesn't crash) and I get at most 2-3 turns in before crashes every time. Jesus why of why cant they build ******* stable grrrrr"!£!"%$!%!$%"!£"!$£!"$%!"$!"$%!"%!"£$!"£!"£$!"%^T£$%^^^!%!"£

Done all the usual, no defender, reinstall, rebuild of OS components and integrity check, driver updates and nothing.

They cant build a game for crap

Back
Top Bottom