Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

Soldato
I had a fun time last night opening up 2x delivery boxes containing 150x pods from Nespresso.

I had noticed last week that quite a few pods in two sleeves were damaged, yet the sleeve was fine. I already worked out the method of coffee extraction on these machines so I was concerned about the bottom being dented as per picture below. Contacted Nespresso with advice from the subreddit and Nespresso themselves apologised and asked if I could name ALL the affected sleeves :o They also said they don't recommend using pods with upturned edges or dented undersides.

Some examples:
https://i.imgur.com/tPLGRDY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/svdQdgW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iROfZcO.jpg

Ended up visually examining the pods in some 25+ sleeves and found a 6 sleeves with damaged pods consisting of either upturned foil edges, dented bottoms and dented sides. The latter doesn't matter during extraction but the former two do as the machine has to pierce the underside of the capsule to blast water through - if it the piercing tubes can't make contact then you'll end up with an under-extracted espresso.

I was quite surprised at the amount of dodgy pods, yet they had manufacturing dates of Sept 2018 on the sleeves. Apparently this is quite rare going by what folks have said on the nespresso subreddit. On the upside I've got a sleeve of Paris Black on it's way to me any day now! :D

Soldato
So a rip off really ..
#
nonetheless don't you need a grinder (more expensive than machine) for diy solution, and the lifetime of un-sealed diy capsules must be limited. ?
at the right price Rave could break into the market and pay for their new shiny machine ... I think someone here visited them in the past (Ray?)

and found a 6 sleeves with damaged pods
so - they replaced 6 sleeves , plus something for inconvenience .?

Soldato
so - they replaced 6 sleeves , plus something for inconvenience .?
Would have helped if I had mentioned that but yes I suspect they will given they asked me to name the sleeves that had damaged contents. I don't know if they'll give me a gift or anything for time wasted. I just hope this doesn't turn into a regular occurance when buying stuff from them.

Associate
interesting pioneering from Rave .. they don't announce cost

44364303640_8fe4bf3474_o_d.jpg

£5.73 delivered if using the welcome 20% off first purchase code

Soldato
I've been looking at the Nespressos that are currently on sale. Either the

De'Longhi Lattissima One EN500BW - for £100

or the

De'Longhi Lattissima Touch EN560.B - for £150

Anyone got any suggestions for which is best? The EN560 seems to have a bigger milk frother bit which i think would be handy for latte's etc. Especially as my wife has quite a big cup to fill.

Also how do these built in things compare to a separate milk frother?

Caporegime
I've been looking at the Nespressos that are currently on sale. Either the

De'Longhi Lattissima One EN500BW - for £100

or the

De'Longhi Lattissima Touch EN560.B - for £150

Anyone got any suggestions for which is best? The EN560 seems to have a bigger milk frother bit which i think would be handy for latte's etc. Especially as my wife has quite a big cup to fill.

Also how do these built in things compare to a separate milk frother?

the seperate milk frother uses a heating element and a little frother which spins around at high speed. the built in ones use steam.

both do the job just the built in one looks a lot more up market and fancier. I have the EN500BW.

My advice would be to spend as little as possible on a nespresso machine. they all do the same job essentially. i buy a new one every year when they are on sale and sell the old one.

So I get £30 for old machine. I get new machine for <£100 with £100-£150 worth of coffee free usually. As i'm getting a new machine every year and I live in scotland with clean tap water. I never bother cleaning my machine or descaling it. I will have a new one soon and it's covered by 2 years warranty if buying from john lewis.

Soldato
Yeah i'd thought that. My concern with the En500 was that the milk compartment seems quite small. So when my wife makes a Chai Tea Latte she's likely going to have to fill it up mid cup which is a bit of a pain. Whereas the EN560/aerocini would be more suitable.

Associate
I was torn between the ‘one’ and the ‘plus’ I ended up with the EN520 plus due to the size of the milk compartment and it’s remove-ability and store in the fridge.

Caporegime
Yeah i'd thought that. My concern with the En500 was that the milk compartment seems quite small. So when my wife makes a Chai Tea Latte she's likely going to have to fill it up mid cup which is a bit of a pain. Whereas the EN560/aerocini would be more suitable.

why can't she stick some milk in the cup and stick it in the microwave? then top up the hot milk with the machine?

Caporegime
Is she's going to do that we might as well not bother with a machine that can froth milk. I'd rather just get one what does what we want

The aerocinno can only hold a small amount of milk and it doesn't heat it much either. It is more warm than hot. As in the coffee needs to be drunk straight away rather than over say a 5-10 mins.

Sounds like you would need 2 aerocinnos then. At £60 A pop you get one with some machines.

Or like I said microwave half of it. Does she really need 100% froth? 50% should be more than enough

Associate
Has anyone tried to make iced lattes with their machines?
I know you would have to do it manually but just wandered if anyone has done it, seen myself buying a lot in this hot weather

Associate
I didn’t know you got special pods. I just used a Roma pod shot into a glass of milk and ice turned out not to bad could have been better though. Have to go google your pods

Don
I didn’t know you got special pods. I just used a Roma pod shot into a glass of milk and ice turned out not to bad could have been better though. Have to go google your pods
Doesn't look like they're available on the shop - it might have just been an offer when I registered the machine, I've also got a pod that allows you to just make hot water with the machine, but it also doesn't seem to be available now.

Soldato
Doesn't look like they're available on the shop - it might have just been an offer when I registered the machine, I've also got a pod that allows you to just make hot water with the machine, but it also doesn't seem to be available now.

I assume you're talking about the Tassimo? I don't think David Flett is. Tassimo did briefly supply iced coffee/tea disc inserts with machines quite a while back, not for long though. I think the hot water discs are still available on Amazon etc but I don't know if they'd work with the newer machines.

Associate
Sorry I should have stayed in my first post I have the lassisimo model, I found these going about has anyone tried them?

NESPRESSO ON ICE ISPIRAZIONE SALENTINA SHAKERATO LIMITED EDITION

Soldato
Has anyone tried to make iced lattes with their machines?
I know you would have to do it manually but just wandered if anyone has done it, seen myself buying a lot in this hot weather
Yeh I've done it a few times. Put some ice in a glass, pour the coffee in then top with milk.

If you usually have sugar I would recommend pouring the espresso in on its own first with sugar and a little bit of milk so it can disolve properly.

Back
Top Bottom