*** Coming soon *** custom built laptops from OcUK

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Also agree price is a little high.
there is not enough customisable options either.

I personally am looking for a 15.4" clevo with 9800gt for approx 1k. I am not bothered about cpu as I would upgrade that later.

what sort of options were you looking for?

Associate
The problem is, you can pick up a 2.1GHz XPS for £670ish.

Compared to your Aero 8400 which has lesser gfx for £330 more.

I personally couldn't justify paying the extra cash for it.

Last edited:

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
The problem is, you can pick up a 2.1GHz XPS for £670ish.

Compared to your Aero 8400 which has lesser gfx for £330 more.

I personally couldn't justify paying the extra cash for it.

Hi,

Difficult to compare the two.

Ours is Centrino 2, DDR3, larger battery, longer warranty - to name but a few

Whilst we sell many Dells the one I think you're referring to is "End of Life" and whilst its a bargain today you're buying a previous model that limits any upgrade potential.

We'll have some £500/£600 solutions with next gen gear that'll compete nicely with the XPS...but at the end of the day you pay for what you get and I am confident our prices will be very competitive.

Afterall I want you guys to buy them :D

Associate
Hi,

The first batch of mid to high end laptops are now on the site - value and higher end to follow within the next couple of days.

We'll have some £500/£600 solutions with next gen gear that'll compete nicely with the XPS...but at the end of the day you pay for what you get and I am confident our prices will be very competitive.
I was disappointed with the range until I read that. If what's up now is only the mid-range stuff then i'm very interested to see what's coming in cheaper.

What about something to compete with Vostros? Obviously don't expect you to beat Dell on price, but close would be nice. Would pay a bit more for quality, or something I had a hand in building.

Options-wise:
more choice of screens, particularly 1440x900
choice of graphics cards,
choice of cpu's,
option for a larger battery.
Colours and patterns :rolleyes: -

It might be worth offering a range of pre-built systems with only a few options, and a fully customised service.
I.e. you pick a chassis (screen resolution might be tied to this, so you'd have say three "Value 15.4" chassis with 1280x800, 1440x900 & 1680x1050 sizes) and then add the options you want- Cpu, GPU, HDD, RAM, OS etc. If you wanted to build some of it yourself, you'd pick the chassis and the parts you want installed already (CPU & GPU, for example) and add the other parts to your basket (RAM, HDD). The charge for construction could scale with the number of items, to reflect the time involved.

Dell currently have 2 week+ extra waiting times on popular models, so waiting a week or two for a full or partial custom build from OCUK isn't necessarily out of the question. Someone has to put it all together after all...

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

Difficult to compare the two.

Ours is Centrino 2, DDR3, larger battery, longer warranty - to name but a few

Whilst we sell many Dells the one I think you're referring to is "End of Life" and whilst its a bargain today you're buying a previous model that limits any upgrade potential.

Afterall I want you guys to buy them :D

I dont want to start a war with you but,

The dell comes with a 9cell battery, larger than yours.

The dell 2 year warranty would still come under your price.

I have no idea about DDR3 but is the performance £200 better? Is the small amount of extra L2 & FSB on the CPU worth all the extra cash? Especially if the gfx are so weak?

As far as i'm aware, people are looking for 'bang for the buck' on mid/high end systems. Which imo the XPS drops into.

The market for extreme performance laptops is pretty small as far as i'm aware as people usually save money and buy a desktop for their high end needs.

I dont mean to come across agressive, i just though i'd express my opinion. Maybe people will agree with me, maybe not. :eek:

But yeah, i would like to know more about DDR3 performance boosts???

Associate
RTB - sorry for delay. With regards to customising, I personally would like to see:

CPU
Gfx
RAM*
HD*
OS* and option of no OS (*as you have done)
Reason being I have a budget of 1k as previously mentioned and I want the best gfx I can get (as this is not easily upgradeable later) and will scrimp everywhere else. Then I can upgrade other components later.
I know the 15.4" is capable of 9800gt so would preferably like this option but it would be nice to see the cost difference with the gts so I can make an informed choice.

If you could offer gfx upgrades in the future too that would be awesome.

Last edited:

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
It's not that much better than DDR2 to be honest.

Look forward to seeing the value range, hopefully something sub £400 that beats the specs of the Lenovo N200.
Please give the value range 2 year warranty as well.

RTB - sorry for delay. With regards to customising, I personally would like to see:

CPU
Gfx
RAM*
HD*
OS* and option of no OS (*as you have done)
Reason being I have a budget of 1k as previously mentioned and I want the best gfx I can get (as this is not easily upgradeable later) and will scrimp everywhere else. Then I can upgrade other components later.
I know the 15.4" is capable of 9800gt so would preferably like this option but it would be nice to see the cost difference with the gts so I can make an informed choice.

If you could offer gfx upgrades in the future too that would be awesome.

Hi all,

Points noted - its very early days - we've put up the mid range product up to get your feedback which we're getting - thanks.

Work to do....watch this space

;)

Soldato
Any chance of some smaller screen sizes too?

I find 15.4" a little cumbersome to use on my lap on a train, so I'm currently looking at either a 13" MacBook or something like a Dell M1330 (13") or a Samsung Q210 (12.1")...

Soldato
The price of the Aero 8600 increases when you click into it?
It's listed in the category view as £1,727.93 (£2,030.32 inc VAT), but then in product view it is £1831.97 (£2152.56 inc VAT).

Apologies if this isn't the sort of feedback you want.

How soon is soon?

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite a bit of negative feedback so far... :(

I don't think the current products look too bad really, price seems a bit high but then again, I don't know what the costs of the components used are...
If the price could come down a little then it could be some OK products.
For the high end of what's up on site at the moment you have to compare it with the XPS M1730 and there's only one way you can go... The Dell way. (An older platform though)

Minor annoyances with the listings. They all seem to default with the SSD which immediately has a large impact on the price, not really a big deal but... <excuse>
Would quite like to see some options to select what CPU is in there, maybe the same for the GPU also. :)

I'd really like to see some benchmarks from the higher end of whats on the site at the moment, particularly focusing on what the 9800 brings to the table (anything?) and the speed increase provided by the DDR3.

More questions just for annoyance... What chipset is used for the Centrino2 platform? I have not done my research...

Associate
I believe the chipset is either GM45 or PM45 depending on onboard or dedicated gfx.

Also I think it has been mostly constructive feedback so far, which I believe is necessary if OCUK are going to pitch these competitively and take some market share.

Associate
Steveo - It totally depends if the game is SLI optimised, and even then dont ever expect to get twice the performance of 1 card.

I wont touch SLI with a barge pole, not just the scores but also:
Extra Heat
Even Less battery life (if ever away from the mains)
Extra Cost
Extra Watts (I think the M1730 is 180w on load, you may as well buy a desktop!)

LPL

LPL

Permabanned
Hurry up with the low priced laptops :p
Was going to get a Dell for parents as much as I would never buy a Dell desktop, they do have some decent prices for the specs.

Are you going to be doing onboard GPU?

Back
Top Bottom