• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

:confused: 3dMark results are lower when i O.C. Asus Turbo GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Associate
OP
I didnt expect so much patience and so much help from forum members to be honest!
THANK YOU, again!
Well...i took off the oc, then i uninstalled the MSI AB as well, now is not any oc soft installed as i am aware :D
Yes, i did DDU in safe mode then after restart i installed the driver again, exactly that one you said, without GeForce Experience.
Yes, the max VDDC during Unigine Heaven is 0.7930. The min VDDC (while browsing, not during Heaven) is 0.65
Have no idea why and also have no idea how to fix it...

l.e. the power plan of Windows is "High Performance"

The power is only 0.700v when running it? Thats idle power draw, its not going up. That would be my guess at the cause. Something is preventing it from drawing full power that it needs. The fan header on the gpu could be limiting the power draw if not attached, i dunno for sure but like the guy above said somewhere it could be that. That or maybe something wrong with the pci-e cables that you attached to the card. There in, arnt they?

You have taken off any overclock now havent you, on core or mem or volts?

If perfcap says idle then its in idle mode the gpu so wont boost.

Also just want to make sure of something, when you did DDU did you do it in safe mode or normal windows mode?

Associate

Nice, we have something clear to work with now. The card is stuck in Idle power mode (and at the idle voltage).

This can be caused by an incorrect PCI-E slot mode setting; as mentioned above, try a different PCI-E slot for the card, if possible.

After a little google around, I did find several people with Asus cards who solved it with a vbios flash. This is also an option (and also a trick that helps 2080Tis for example; Gamer's Nexus had a video about a certain 2080 Ti bug that caused those cards to lock in idle power mode too, solved by a bios flash).

Double check all the external PSU plugs are in, btw.

Did the card come with a waterblock or an aircooler, when you bought it?

Soldato
We are a stubborn lot lol we don't stop until you get sorted

Not sure if it was asked as lot if info in the thread
But have you tried connecting different pci~e cables to the gpu?
I already assumed if it's got 2 connectors you connected both

Soldato
Are you on latest win 10, to check type winver (latest is 1909) in start search box and report back with a screenie unless u wana type it out. I read some guy fixed his issue by updating to a later version of win 10 at least creators edition.

Also some posts i found has said on asus tweak they clicked silent button and it wont boost any more, i think you said you had that on before. If you can, check see if silent button is on still or if you uninstalled it, reinstall and see if its still saying silent mode and try to switch it off then u can remove the software. I wonder if it might be saved as a registry entry. If so maybe a ccleaner run might help i dunno.

Last edited:
Associate
Also some posts i found has said on asus tweak they clicked silent button and it wont boost any more, i think you said you had that on before. If you can, check see if silent button is on still or if you uninstalled it, reinstall and see if its still saying silent mode and try to switch it off then u can remove the software. I wonder if it might be saved as a registry entry. If so maybe a ccleaner run might help i dunno.

That's the part that concerns me with him having 0 rpm on the fan. It may be that the (bad) coding thus defaults to silent mode being active, which on some asus cards is a 0rpm idle clock mode. And as you say, even uninstalled, it could still be buried in the reg somewhere.

Also, the 'Turbo' is something of a budget choice from the high (Ti) range, and sometimes those are the cards where some vbios versions throw a fit when the fan is unplugged. Very silly of course, since often the best cards to cool are the cheap ones where you don't waste more money on an expensive shroud. Nonetheless, it happens sometimes.

Would be good to know if the card was bought air-cooled or watercooled.

Soldato
Now i say this but i dunno if its safe for you to do but here is a reg entry i found on google for asus tweak 2, up to you if u want to try removing it (make sure the software was removed first of course or it will be weird maybe).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\GPU_ T weakII

You can find that using regedit in windows/start/searchbox, navigate to above using menus on the left find the folder GPU_ T weakII then right click on it and remove, if its been uninstalled now.

Backup the reg just incase.

Disclaimer: Dont try this if you dont know about registry editing.

Could take any stuck silent modes off i was thinking.

Associate
OP
I will try a diff PCI slot, it will be a bit difficult, i dont know if the hoses let me but i will try. Also i will buy new cables between PSU and GPU.
The cables are properly attached. Its a 6 pin + 8 pin cables and they are properly attached to GPU and to PSU as well.
I bought the GPU from a friend of a friend and its useless to ask as i dont have any trust on what he can say about.... I bought it with original air cooling system and in same time i bought a waterblock from china (Byksky or something like that) because this was my intentions from the begining when i start to build this rig but in the past the prices of 1080 Ti was too high for me. With the original air cooling (what i keep it just 1 week till my waterblock arrived) the temps go too high (constant 80-84 in games, but im playing at 3440x1440) and i didnt try to oc, not even monitoring frequencies. I can put back the air to see whats happened.

Nice, we have something clear to work with now. The card is stuck in Idle power mode (and at the idle voltage).

This can be caused by an incorrect PCI-E slot mode setting; as mentioned above, try a different PCI-E slot for the card, if possible.

After a little google around, I did find several people with Asus cards who solved it with a vbios flash. This is also an option (and also a trick that helps 2080Tis for example; Gamer's Nexus had a video about a certain 2080 Ti bug that caused those cards to lock in idle power mode too, solved by a bios flash).

Double check all the external PSU plugs are in, btw.

Did the card come with a waterblock or an aircooler, when you bought it?

Nope, i dont have other cables, i will buy these days some. Yes, it have 6+8 connectors / cables, properly attached. Cheers!

We are a stubborn lot lol we don't stop until you get sorted

Not sure if it was asked as lot if info in the thread
But have you tried connecting different pci~e cables to the gpu?
I already assumed if it's got 2 connectors you connected both

I think its the latest Windows version but not sure: https://photos.app.goo.gl/G1mai2cG5DvTYCJU7
Just now i reinstalled the Asus GTweak and hit the OC button then "Apply".
Whats "funny" regarding this is that i start to play a bit with voltage scale and...... ive notice that while in GTweak i increase the voltage the GPU-Z show a decrease of voltage. I added 60 mv in Asus Tweak but GPU-Z shows a decrease from 0.793 to 0.765 or something. Probably that's why i got lower result with the GPU oc.

Are you on latest win 10, to check type winver in start search box and report back with a screenie unless u wana type it out. I read some guy fixed his issue by updating to a later version of win 10 at least creators edition.

Last edited:
Soldato
In task manager, go to the start up tab and see if anything there is loading with windows that shouldnt be. Like tweak 2 or asus stuff or afterburner etc, disable from launching then reboot.

Soldato
Whats "funny" regarding this is that i start to play a bit with voltage scale and...... ive notice that while in GTweak i increase the voltage the GPU-Z show a decrease of voltage. I added 60 mv in Asus Tweak but GPU-Z shows a decrease from 0.793 to 0.765 or something. Probably that's why i got lower result with the GPU oc.

Is that when your benchmarking or doing gpuz or not stressing the card.

----

Also did you say you bought a waterblock before you got the card? Did you know you were defo getting the asus turbo 1080ti and so the waterblock is defo ok with it because ive read some waterblock fitting sites and it says the turbo card has a slightly different pcb design compared to other 1080ti cards and it was difficult to get a waterblock (didnt check the dates as might have been years ago or recent i dunno) for one that fit as intended. Just wondering about this after reading about that.

Do u know the exact name and model of the waterblock so we can google it. I mean i think u probably have done it all correctly getting the right block for the card etc, just thought nice to double check everything incase the waterblock maybe not doing something it suppose to be doing somehow somewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
I will try a diff PCI slot, it will be a bit difficult, i dont know if the hoses let me but i will try. Also i will buy new cables between PSU and GPU.
The cables are properly attached. Its a 6 pin + 8 pin cables and they are properly attached to GPU and to PSU as well.
I bought the GPU from a friend of a friend and its useless to ask as i dont have any trust on what he can say about.... I bought it with original air cooling system and in same time i bought a waterblock from china (Byksky or something like that) because this was my intentions from the begining when i start to build this rig but in the past the prices of 1080 Ti was too high for me. With the original air cooling (what i keep it just 1 week till my waterblock arrived) the temps go too high (constant 80-84 in games, but im playing at 3440x1440) and i didnt try to oc, not even monitoring frequencies. I can put back the air to see whats happened.

Interesting. For the card to hit 80-84 in games on its air cooler, it must have been doing more than 1481mhz/0.7v. Sure the air cooler isn't great on the Turbo but 84C is still fairly high and the temp reductions from Idle power modes are massive.

This reinforces my suspicion that the unplugged/0rpm fan is related to these problems (and/or Asus software associated with 0rpm/idle modes).

Edit - let's keep investigating and see what others think too but my inclination at this point would be to flash to a different vbios, which often fixes 0rpm problems.

Soldato
If its a zero rpm issue

Is the fan connector on the card visible?
Ie not covered by the block

Test by plugging the original heatsink fans into the card
You will just have to hold the heatsink as the cable won't be very long
Or balance it on something

Associate
OP
Is that when your benchmarking or doing gpuz or not stressing the card.

Also did you say you bought a waterblock before you got the card? Did you know you were defo getting the asus turbo 1080ti and so the waterblock is defo ok with it because ive read some waterblock fitting sites and it says the turbo card has a slightly different pcb design compared to other 1080ti cards and it was difficult to get a waterblock (didnt check the dates as might have been years ago or recent i dunno) for one that fit as intended. Just wondering about this after reading about that.

Do u know the exact name and model of the waterblock so we can google it. I mean i think u probably have done it all correctly getting the right block for the card etc, just thought nice to double check everything incase the waterblock maybe not doing something it suppose to be doing somehow somewhere.

Yes, i was trying to play with the voltage then use a benchmark and keep an eye on GPU-Z voltage.
Bought them in the same time, few hours after i bought the card i bought the waterblock. And its a proper one for this card and i fit it myself, using very good quality thermo paste and pads from overclockers.co.uk I bought it from china because i didnt find any here. Now all are focused on RTX's.
The waterblock is this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32836900125.html
The GPU is this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-turbo-gtx-1080-ti.b4307

Interesting. For the card to hit 80-84 in games on its air cooler, it must have been doing more than 1481mhz/0.7v. Sure the air cooler isn't great on the Turbo but 84C is still fairly high and the temp reductions from Idle power modes are massive.

This reinforces my suspicion that the unplugged/0rpm fan is related to these problems (and/or Asus software associated with 0rpm/idle modes).

Edit - let's keep investigating and see what others think too but my inclination at this point would be to flash to a different vbios, which often fixes 0rpm problems.

Yes, more than sure you're wright, make sense!
Do you have any idea where i can find a vbios to flash it? It is difficult?

Its a shame that the card doesnt have a silence mode bios/switch on the pcb like some cards do as then its probs a no brainer that might be it lol.

Maybe have and i dont know....

Last edited:
Soldato
Might want to edit out the A....E link as ocuk dont like links to rivals. My bad as i asked about it. But i did find that page myself in the end after seeing what the brand was but it was nice to confirm it was that one u got.

--

Only thing i can think of is maybe bios for the motherboard, or see if theres newer chipset drivers maybe. If you want you can go to the bios, save ur bios settings as a profile which will be near save and exit somewhere or near that tab/area. Save that then reboot then go back in set everything to default tho u might wana check xmp for ram is on but as were only testing gpu stuff everything could be default tbh or optimized settings one or the other, im sure theres a thing to do that which resets all the bios for u, then u can save and exit then try the gpu again and if nothings changed just go back and load the profile u saved in bios. Up to u but something to try.

I still recon its that tweak software. That or the pci slot. Did you try taking the card out and reinserting to reseat it incase it wasnt in properly somehow?

Last edited:
Associate
The waterblock looks fine. It is a full coverage block though, so it's going to be hard to test the fan thing by simply plugging it in with everything still uninstalled.

Yes, more than sure you're wright, make sense!
Do you have any idea where i can find a vbios to flash it? It is difficult?

I see your for this card on techpowerup:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192698/asus-gtx1080ti-11264-170323

Although techpowerup has two entries, they seem to be the same.

We could flash the same bios back on (sometimes helps to 'reset' a card).

But since this is the default PCB, I'm inclined to think we should flash the normal Nvidia reference bios on it:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190928/nvidia-gtx1080ti-11264-170118

What do you guys think?

(Also before actually doing it, we'll find you a bios flashing guide - just sounding out what bios people think would be sensible).

Usually for a reference PCB, the Nvidia one is a good 'vanilla' bios for troubleshooting.

Soldato
Back up the bios already on your card, i think gpuz can do that im not sure. Never flashed a gpu before, just a mb and a android box. Gluck tho as im off to bed now, ive been on this all evening lol, tried to help but looks like its a picky problem to sort out. Hope it works out in the end beberobu. Might pop by to check how its gone on tomorrow. If all else fails just play as is, even at 14xx its still probs good for gaming till u can find a fix later.

Associate
Might want to edit out the A....E link as ocuk dont like links to rivals. My bad as i asked about it. But i did find that page myself in the end after seeing what the brand was but it was nice to confirm it was that one u got.

--

Only thing i can think of is maybe bios for the motherboard, or see if theres newer chipset drivers maybe. If you want you can go to the bios, save ur bios settings as a profile which will be near save and exit somewhere or near that tab/area. Save that then reboot then go back in set everything to default tho u might wana check xmp for ram is on but as were only testing gpu stuff everything could be default tbh or optimized settings one or the other, im sure theres a thing to do that which resets all the bios for u, then u can save and exit then try the gpu again and if nothings changed just go back and load the profile u saved in bios. Up to u but something to try.

I still recon its that tweak software. That or the pci slot. Did you try taking the card out and reinserting to reseat it incase it wasnt in properly somehow?

The thing I feel about the motherboard is that if it's a MB bios issue, why was the card boosting correctly on the air cooler? Because I can't believe even the rather low-fi Asus Turbo cooler (their budget blower) can hit 84C at 1480mhz/0.7v. That's a massive underclock/undervolt, after all. So I feel the card must have been boosting correctly then (and throttling at 84c, at the normal thermal limit when he hit it). And from what I understand, nothing else on the system changed - just an air cooler going to a waterblock and now he's locked at 1481mhz.

I absolutely agree on the Asus Tweak stuff though - that damn tweak software can be a nightmare to get rid of. I remember trawling through the registry for hours in ages past to fix some misfiring Asus Tweaker software on a Rampage board of old. It made zillions of reg entries all over the place.

Soldato
True about that maldoror. I dunno either why it worked on air cooler the only diff is the fan header which i guess he can hotwire to signal on with some clip or something if he took the cooler off and back on again, i dunno which pins to trigger it tho ud have to google that bit. Lot of fuss for it tho and if it doesnt work all that effort is for nowt. Also you say it was 1480mhz at 0.7v and reaching that temp on air cooler, i think it was reaching the right volts of about 1.5v or whatever it is on them cards to get that temp. But now its not budging from 0.7 which is odd unless something isnt cooling properly and card is thinking throttle for, like vrms or something that u dont usually look at in gpuz.

One thing you can try since you wanted to oc anyhow, it might sorta fix it for you i dunno really but msi afterburner the latest versions apparently support 1080ti cards now not just 2xxx ones for the one click auto oc which a lot i think are happy using and they say its safe so.

https://www.msi.com/blog/get-a-free-performance-boost-with-afterburner-oc-scanner

Follow that maybe, if it doesnt work then no harm i guess.

Last edited:
Associate
The OC scanner thing that Skeet linked is worth a go. If it does come to flashing the vbios (not saying that you should right now), I'll put a little guide here for you (don't want to send you away with the impression you should do it without further instruction).

Basically, you'll need Nvflash. You can get here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

Then you need a copy of the bios to flash to. Make sure it's unzipped. For ease of use, I'd rename to something like "newbios.rom"

Put both nvflash64.exe and newbios.rom into a folder that's easy to find, e.g. C:\vbios

Now go to device manager and disable your graphics card (don't worry, screen will stay on).

Now open an elevated command prompt. Probably in Windows 1909 you can right click your windows key and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)".

Now type:

cd/
cd/vbios

And now you should be in C:\vbios

Then to flash the bios you'd type:

nvflash64 -6 newbios.com

And that's it.

If you want I can hop on to Teamspeak or something with you and talk you through it in real time.

Back
Top Bottom