• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
Ive been chewing at the bit to upgrade from my i7 2600k for a while now and have been holding off until a decent upgrade has come along (i mostly Game on my PC and at 4K).

The 9900k looked like a decent upgrade at last but the chip costs as much as my MoBo, RAM and CPU did 5 years ago. I just cant see the sense in it anymore, i really cant. Now im thinking AMD! :/

Soldato
*********INTEL**********

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £486.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

PLUS £600 for a 8 core 16 thread CPU

= £1086 for a motherboard/cpu/ram/cooler bundle!!!

********AMD**********

Total: £605.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Comes with a cooler

= £605 for a motherboard/cpu/ram/cooler bundle

Just about says it all really £450 difference. That's a new GPU cost!

Last edited:
Associate
Ive been chewing at the bit to upgrade from my i7 2600k for a while now and have been holding off until a decent upgrade has come along (i mostly Game on my PC and at 4K).

The 9900k looked like a decent upgrade at last but the chip costs as much as my MoBo, RAM and CPU did 5 years ago. I just cant see the sense in it anymore, i really cant. Now im thinking AMD! :/

I'm in exactly the same boat - I have an overclocked 2600k, and thinking these prices are ridiculous.

Soldato
*********INTEL**********

Total: £486.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

PLUS £600 for a 8 core 16 thread CPU

= £1086 for a motherboard/cpu/ram/cooler bundle!!!

********AMD**********
Total: £605.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Comes with a cooler

= £605 for a motherboard/cpu/ram/cooler bundle

Just about says it all really £450 difference. That's a new GPU cost!
Ok so we are about to see an AMD price hike?

Soldato
I'm in exactly the same boat - I have an overclocked 2600k, and thinking these prices are ridiculous.

At 4k gaming it's mostly the GPU anyway. Get AMD and save yourself a fortune.

My next upgrade is AMD as I'm fed up with INTEL and price gouging. They are doing a Nvidia, pushing prices up and up and up to see how many will still bite. Hopefully this fiasco makes them change their practices but I doubt it.

Soldato

My next upgrade is AMD as I'm fed up with INTEL and price gouging. They are doing a Nvidia, pushing prices up and up and up to see how many will still bite. Hopefully this fiasco makes them change their practices but I doubt it.
Yes and i have a 1080ti doing most of the work at that res. My 2600K is OCed to 4.6 and temps are under 60 so i guess ill just have to stick with that until games start coming out that force us to upgrade due to lack of support of Sandybridge cores

Associate

Well I'm not gaming at 4k, I'm on 1080p with 144Hz - but I think the issue with ryzen (2700x) has always been that I've never seen it as enough of an upgrade over the 2600k with the overclocking on per core basis.

Soldato
Well I'm not gaming at 4k, I'm on 1080p with 144Hz - but I think the issue with ryzen (2700x) has always been that I've never seen it as enough of an upgrade over the 2600k with the overclocking on per core basis.

Wel.. either pay out for Intel or wait this round out my friend, those are your only options left :)

Soldato
Nah I'm still convinced AMD will drop a 2800x on us in the next few weeks.

The other option of course is a bit more patience to see if prices will drop, as we've seen the US pricing is already 100 cheaper.

The headroom simply isn't there. The 2700X is already at the limit. Not going to happen.

AMD simply didn't call it the 2800X because the could show a price/performance increase by pricing it the same as the 1700X and calling it a 2700X. Something which I think was a smart move.

Associate
Well anyway, it doesn't matter, if you've landed on the fence, most likely people won't do anything - and either AMD will need to release something more tempting, or intel will have to drop prices into the tempting range to push someone over the edge of the fence into whichever territory does something first.

Back
Top Bottom