• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

I wanted a Predator myself but with the leakage issues put me off. Also their new line off stuff that replaced the predator they are charging silly moneys and only provide 2 years warranty. Therefore again I stay away. Shame really.

Bought the Predator after the update. Must say it is great. I have replaced numerous GPU blocks, and now using monoblock for it.
The EK MLC is not that expensive for what it it.
Look here
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...mm-all-in-one-cpu-water-cooler-bu-00v-ek.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...-cpu-water-cooler-threadripper-hs-00g-ek.html

Against many AIOs is cheaper than some brands, or just few quid more expensive.
But the point is not there. The point is you can buy the unit on it's own (or smaller one)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...nix-360mm-radiator-core-module-hs-006-ek.html

The CPU block (or monoblock) of your choice. Connect the QDC and fill up with cryofuel
Same applies to GPU blocks.

It has all the performance of a custom loop, without the drawbacks or hassles when you want to replace parts.
Atm I have the Predator 360, with Z370I Strix monoblock and Bykski GPU waterblock for the Vega 64 Nitro. All using the QDCs. Next one up I will get monoblock for the AM4 or TR4 next week, and top up.

Also if your case is small (mITX, mATX) having space only for 2 separated 140mm fans, you can still have CPU & GPU watercooled by buying the 2 140mm and set them up in separate loops. :D

Was all set to buy this as the upgrade itch is strong from my 4770k, but the markup at the moment is nuts. Been toying with Ryzen 2700x instead and just pocketing the cash to replace the CPU when the next gen version comes out. Still works out cheaper than a single 9900k :/ But I'm not really sure upgrading to the 2700x is worth it either! PC building sucks right now, the prices are all just insane for very little gain

Was all set to buy this as the upgrade itch is strong from my 4770k, but the markup at the moment is nuts. Been toying with Ryzen 2700x instead and just pocketing the cash to replace the CPU when the next gen version comes out. Still works out cheaper than a single 9900k :/ But I'm not really sure upgrading to the 2700x is worth it either! PC building sucks right now, the prices are all just insane for very little gain

The 2700X is a great CPU mate, on a better platform.

Bought the Predator after the update. Must say it is great. I have replaced numerous GPU blocks, and now using monoblock for it.
Look here
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...mm-all-in-one-cpu-water-cooler-bu-00v-ek.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...-cpu-water-cooler-threadripper-hs-00g-ek.html

But the point is not there. The point is you can buy the unit on it's own (or smaller one)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...nix-360mm-radiator-core-module-hs-006-ek.html

The CPU block (or monoblock) of your choice. Connect the QDC and fill up with cryofuel

It has all the performance of a custom loop, without the drawbacks or hassles when you want to replace parts.
Atm I have the Predator 360, with Z370I Strix monoblock and Bykski GPU waterblock for the Vega 64 Nitro. All using the QDCs. Next one up I will get monoblock for the AM4 or TR4 next week, and top up.

Also if your case is small (mITX, mATX) having space only for 2 separated 140mm fans, you can still have CPU & GPU watercooled by buying the 2 140mm and set them up in separate loops. :D

As someone not clued into AIO/WC at all, what is the maintainence needed for a EK-MLC for example? I'm trying to build a "set and forget" system for 6+ years like I did with my 2600k so been mainly looking at air but curious to know how things have evolved.

As someone not clued into AIO/WC at all, what is the maintainence needed for a EK-MLC for example? I'm trying to build a "set and forget" system for 6+ years like I did with my 2600k so been mainly looking at air but curious to know how things have evolved.

Assuming you clean the rads from dust every 6 months or so, maybe in 3 years time, unplug, drain everything. Wash the radiator and refill.
Imho go on air if you are not for maintaining your PC.

Assuming you clean the rads from dust every 6 months or so, maybe in 3 years time, unplug, drain everything. Wash the radiator and refill.
Imho go on air if you are not for maintaining your PC.

I generally spend about 1-2hours a year cleaning out my PC case once a year. HafX doesn't do well for keeping dust out. More about leakage and noise. I plan to either have the 8086k or a 9900k at 5 for 24/7 usage.

I suppose I can get something like a EK MLC for the CPU. Vert mount the 2080ti (2 slot cooler) in a Lian Li Dynamic and have 3 side fans that keep the air while the AIO is exhausted at the top. Something like that feasible?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3245-ek-mlc-phoenix-360-cpu-cooler-review-and-benchmark

If I'm understanding this right, I can buy one of these and cool the CPU and GPU with it? Is there a draw back in performance to this since it's soaking up heat from 2 different sources instead of 1?

Last edited:
I generally spend about 1-2hours a year cleaning out my PC case once a year. HafX doesn't do well for keeping dust out. More about leakage and noise. I plan to either have the 8086k or a 9900k at 5 for 24/7 usage.

I suppose I can get something like a EK MLC for the CPU. Vert mount the 2080ti (2 slot cooler) in a Lian Li Dynamic and have 3 side fans that keep the air while the AIO is exhausted at the top. Something like that feasible?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3245-ek-mlc-phoenix-360-cpu-cooler-review-and-benchmark

If I'm understanding this right, I can buy one of these and cool the CPU and GPU with it? Is there a draw back in performance to this since it's soaking up heat from 2 different sources instead of 1?

There is no different than custom watercooling.

Assuming what you cool. 2 2080Tis and a 9900K overclocked, you need 2 x 360s.
All 3 consuming between them overclocked north of 1000W.

There is no different than custom watercooling.

Assuming what you cool. 2 2080Tis and a 9900K overclocked, you need 2 x 360s.
All 3 consuming between them overclocked north of 1000W.

Sorry if my working was confusing, I was saying 2 slot cooler, not 2 2080ti's.

Setup:
8086k/9900k (we'll see which i end up keeping)
2080ti windforce which is a 2 slot cooler
z390 Either ASUS Hero or Asus Gene board. Waiting on Gene reviews
Looking at Lian Li 011 Dynamic case if I go WC

With that setup and a EK-MLC 360, can I just have 1 radiator cooling both the CPU and GPU or would I need 1 per component?
Could I just do 360 for the CPU and exhaust it out the top and then 3x side fans for the GPU if i keep it on air?

Sorry if my working was confusing, I was saying 2 slot cooler, not 2 2080ti's.

Setup:
8086k/9900k (we'll see which i end up keeping)
2080ti windforce which is a 2 slot cooler
z390 Either ASUS Hero or Asus Gene board. Waiting on Gene reviews
Looking at Lian Li 011 Dynamic case if I go WC

With that setup and a EK-MLC 360, can I just have 1 radiator cooling both the CPU and GPU or would I need 1 per component?
Could I just do 360 for the CPU and exhaust it out the top and then 3x side fans for the GPU if i keep it on air?

Single MLC360 is fine :)
Put it on top of the case to pull the air out, and have fans blowind air into the case.

I'm looking at the BeQuiet Silent Loop for my new build, heard a lot of really good things about it and it's got very good reviews.

I currently have an Arctic Freezer 240 on my 1700 and it's been solid. Had 2 Antec AIO prior to that, one of them was a warranty replacement after the first leaked.

I was toying with the idea of getting a swiftech but it seems they are hard to come by and can have issues.

My next CPU will be the AMD 3700x or whatever it will be called. My days of using air coolers are well and truly over, that weight and strain on the motherboard can't be good long term of a heavy air cooler, plus aesthetically an AIO looks better, and I feel it allows air better circulation in a case.

The cool thing about the closed loop is they come with 6 years warranty, which is roughly how long I would use it for before an upgrade. Had my current 280nm Kraken for 5 years or so. Will be using it for at least 1 more year before Ryzen 3700X comes out. But to be honest after looking at all the reviews lately, as a 4K gamer, I am not even sure upgrading even next year will be worth it for me. Might even just wait for AMD's new AMD5 platform and get that at the start, that way I can just pop in a new CPU again 4-5 year down the line if needed without needing a new mobo.

Look here

Damn Panos, those thing have come down a lot since I last looked man. A lot more tempting at that price. That said, warranty is still only 2 years I think, which again is of putting as that means they are not as confident in their product to slap 5-6 years warranty on it.

Also with closed loop there is no maintenance apart from the usual dusting of PC with my compu cleaner where I blast my case with air.

2700x is a great bargin cpu at the moment. its probably the best value cpu highend of choice gaming wise. just if you want the best though you would pick intel for gaming.

thats the problem one person will debate value. one will debate the best. value wise short term you can argue with amd. long term id argue intel is the better option and the fastest. why is the intel better long term ? well for the 3 years average most people keep their cpus. the intel will be quicker in games. so 2700x for eg = £300 no gouged i7 9900k is 490 in uk. so 190 quid difference for 3 years. which to have a faster better pc is not that much. 65 per year extra a year to have a faster gaming pc for 3 years. pretty good value tbh. you could also get the cheaper i9 and do the same with no much difference save even more and still be just as fast.

People need to stop using the word 'BEST'... it isn't the best if it's also the worst value, which it is. For many people, 'best' actually means taking in to account the cost of that performance. If someone wants the FASTEST, then the 9900K meets that criteria, but resolution has to be considered, because especially at 4K, that difference is going to be very marginal. Furthermore, many of those gamers who do actually want the 'best' by your definition of the word will be gaming at those higher resolutions.

It is also important to ask yourself if there is any point being the 'fastest' if you aren't going to notice? Because if you're already achieving a high frame rate with an 8700K at 1440p for example, you aren't going to notice the extra that a 9900K provides. It would be a pointless upgrade for the most part, therefore terrible value, from both the financial point of view and the experience it provides.

Of course, there will be that subset of 1080p gamers whose only consideration is insane FPS, even if they could afford a much more expensive monitor. So for those who want to wring every last frame out of their system and don't care how much it costs, the 9900K is the obvious choice.

Nowhere can you obtain a 9900K for anything close to £490... so that's a dumb argument. It's £600 now and probably will remain so for a while. You can argue for a £490 9900K when you can actually buy one for that price.

Last edited:
Price doesn't matter if you want the best LEDT CPU. It is the best regardless of gaming resolution as games are not the only thing it is good at. Price doesn't change its performance.

Price doesn't matter if you want the best LEDT CPU. It is the best regardless of gaming resolution as games are not the only thing it is good at. Price doesn't change its performance.

No it doesn’t...but is the tiny margin worth it? That’s a personal thing...and it’s got nothing to do with whether you can afford it...

I can't understand why there is so much angst over the price. If there was no other option, like in the recent past, I could understand it more but there is now another option that is cheaper and does all the jobs well. Intel releasing an 8/16 CPU for which should be around $500 (lets not forget the 1800x was $500 on release) is not the end of the world. PC gaming won't suddenly die as if you really want to PC game on a budget you have another option.

Hopefully when more of these start to get into circulation we'll get more actual discussion about the CPU rather than the same grumbling about the price.

I'd like to see a 2080ti on G-Sync with a 9900k setup @ 1440p 144hz Vs a 2700X Vega 64 @ 1440p with Freesync setup blind tested.

No FPS counters blind test, on something like Black Ops 4 or some such recent game that's been engineered well.

I bet it would be hard to tell the difference.

Except one of the rigs would cost more than twice the other.

people who are sensitive or play fps games regular will feel it nevermind see it. you can feel it . character movement other things. racing games everything is more fluid you would feel it. if you a casual gamer probably not.

I can't understand why there is so much angst over the price. If there was no other option, like in the recent past, I could understand it more but there is now another option that is cheaper and does all the jobs well. Intel releasing an 8/16 CPU for which should be around $500 (lets not forget the 1800x was $500 on release) is not the end of the world. PC gaming won't suddenly die as if you really want to PC game on a budget you have another option.

Hopefully when more of these start to get into circulation we'll get more actual discussion about the CPU rather than the same grumbling about the price.
And $500 (still cheaper than £600) was 1,5 years ago when mainstream was on 4 cores (yes we should be forgetting it). If you don't see the difference than I guess it's a victory for the likes of intel/nvidia.

Probably the best thing said in this thread

And $500 (still cheaper than £600) was 1,5 years ago when mainstream was on 4 cores (yes we should be forgetting it). If you don't see the difference than I guess it's a victory for the likes of intel/nvidia.

I don't see the difference sorry. Intel have released a faster CPU for the same MSRP cost. To be fair to the 1800x prices dropped pretty quickly and the 2700x is an amazing value proposition but overall if we weren't being taken for a ride by distributors, retailers, the £ and any other cat that wants some flesh, it's not really expensive for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom