• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
From reading (on this page in fact...) that you need active cooling on the VRMs to get decent high end overclocks. I am yet to see a Z390 WITH active cooling on the VRM's.... Also yes, I expect a high end mobo to handle a high end overclock. Ergo. They are not fit for purpose.

Except you don't. Did you read the review of the Hero on this page?

Soldato
Well to be honest buying a £200+ motherboard just so you can use the 9900k is a joke. Thats £800+ on the cpu and board, if your going to spend that kind of money you may aswel just go the whole way and get a 2066 i9 system?

Soldato
Associate
Good god what is wrong with you? I've only been on the forum a short while and the aggression you are spouting is wild.

I think you are a bit over sensitive friend. Short how, you have 3000 posts. Go and read some motherboard reviews and then come back with some data rather than just making it up.

Soldato
I think you are a bit over sensitive friend. Short how, you have 3000 posts. Go and read some motherboard reviews and then come back with some data rather than just making it up.
I meant this morning! I just walked into the forum, it's not even noon and you are whirling round like a dervish attacking people lol. I've read plenty mobo reviews. Many have limitations that would be resolved with active VRM cooling.

Associate
I meant this morning! I just walked into the forum, it's not even noon and you are whirling round like a dervish attacking people lol. I've read plenty mobo reviews. Many have limitations that would be resolved with active VRM cooling.

Which ones. So far I've read/watched Asus Strix, Hero, Maximus, MSI Ace, Gigabyte Master, Auros Ultra, ASrock Taichi. All fine. Buildzoid did a preview on the Gigabyte range and thought they all looked solid. Which ones have you read with issues?

Soldato
Reviewers always overestimate motherboard requirements, I mean if you listen to buildzoid you'd think there's only one half decent AM4 and Z390 motherboard and the rest are trash for overclocking, which just isn't true. You have to realise their perspective, which is often high-end overclocking which most of us, let alone the general public, are not going to care about. The only real thing you should look out for is getting a board with decent components for future-proofing, particularly on AM4 because of its long life.

Having said that, motherboards have certainly succumbed to the "RGB flashy gamer" syndrome that affects so many designs these days. If they are splashing cash at that rubbish, they have to save it somewhere else - usually the quality of the actually useful components.

Soldato
The main reason I'm using a 8600k over a 2700X at uhd res is the IGP.

The only reliable way of getting Netflix UHD to work on windows in my experience is to use a kaby lake or newer intel cpu.
It's supposed to work on Polaris and Vega but unfortunately it just doesn't.

Soldato
I mean if you listen to buildzoid you'd think there's only one half decent AM4 and Z390 motherboard and the rest are trash for overclocking, which just isn't true.
His roundup of B450 boards was pretty damning and was certainly one of the factors which put me off going that route. He hasn’t looked at many Z390 boards yet but they have been pretty favourable so far. But you do have to take into consideration that he is assessing these from the point of view of an XOC and adjust accordingly for your own requirements.

Soldato
Funny enough many B450 boards have same VRMs as X470 boards.

In both cases tho they enough for ryzen2 to work properly, they may run hotter, but they work.

Reviewers are so used to been spoilt with free flagships they can have an attitude of a spoilt child which leads them to dish non flagship components excessively.

Associate
Had a little go at overclocking tonight. Haven't played with settings yet. At 5ghz all core i'm getting ~65 without avx. My AVX offset is -2, temp with avx stress = ~90. Quite a large jump up in temp even with a -2 offset.

Soldato
Had a little go at overclocking tonight. Haven't played with settings yet. At 5ghz all core i'm getting ~65 without avx. My AVX offset is -2, temp with avx stress = ~90. Quite a large jump up in temp even with a -2 offset.

Is that with the TJmax restriction altered in the BIOS to allow 115c and 140w+ power delivery?

Associate
Is that with the TJmax restriction altered in the BIOS to allow 115c and 140w+ power delivery?

I haven't changed anything but the multiplier and voltage. I'm not throttling, so i'm guessing that the 115 tjmax restriction wont make a difference for me? I'm not sure about the power delivery option you mention. What will it be called and what will it do for me?

Soldato
I haven't changed anything but the multiplier and voltage. I'm not throttling, so i'm guessing that the 115 tjmax restriction wont make a difference for me? I'm not sure about the power delivery option you mention. What will it be called and what will it do for me?

Depends on what board you have, some just use MCE (Multi-core enhancement) and it unlocks, others have different settings on top of that. If you have it at 5GHZ all core sounds like it must be unless it's on a very low voltage.

Back
Top Bottom