• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
Well the benchmarks speak for themselves. Clearly the 9900k is winning out at 1080p, but as you increase res that lead diminishes significantly, and by the time you get to 4K it's practically non-existent.

Depends on your purchase window. As someone on a 5 year upgrade cycle (outside of GPU) I’m a bit annoyed that I can’t get the 9900k and have to settle for the 8086k. While they are close enough right now, in years 3-5 the extra 2 core and 2 HT’s will let stay relevant longer.

Soldato
Depends on your purchase window. As someone on a 5 year upgrade cycle (outside of GPU) I’m a bit annoyed that I can’t get the 9900k and have to settle for the 8086k. While they are close enough right now, in years 3-5 the extra 2 core and 2 HT’s will let stay relevant longer.

YEAHHHH now were getting somewhere... I personally dont buy cpus for today's apps/games, I buy whatever will last me the longest and in my price range. I for one cant be bothered with the yearly or 2yearly upgrade, I want something to last...

But saying that if the 9900k was out when I upgraded, I think I would have still of gone for the 8086k as I have never spent £600 on a cpu before, plus if I had to buy a £200+ motherboard aswel, it would have been a deffo no. Im quite happy with my 6core cpu at 4.9 and it will still last me quite a long time(cross fingers).:eek:

Last edited:
Associate
YEAHHHH now were getting somewhere... I personally dont buy cpus for today's apps/games, I buy whatever will last me the longest and in my price range. I for one cant be bothered with the yearly or 2yearly upgrade, I want something to last...

But saying that if the 9900k was out when I upgraded, I think I would have still of gone for the 8086k as I have never spent £600 on a cpu before, plus if I had to buy a £200+ motherboard aswel, it would have been a deffo no. Im quite happy with my 6core cpu at 4.9 and it will still last me quite a long time(cross fingers).:eek:

Most of this of this is a bigger issue due to low supply. If my 9900k does come in on time, it'll be a 100gbp difference between what I paid for the 8086k. For me, that's an acceptable delta for 2 additional cores, 2 HT's and more cache. Others have to make their own decision.

As for a 200gbp mobo, that's mostly an overclocking thing. You can just get a z390 gaming focused board, enable MCE and XMP and never touch it again and be fine.

The chip runs hot so expecting to run mid grade boards to overclock it as the "years of old" is just not a realistic expectation. It's similar to how people were complaining about having loud and large coolers on Fermi cards. It's a hot chip. Deal with it or wait for something else.

Associate
Many Z390 boards are just copies of Z370 board. Even some big names like the Asus Hero is just 4 vrm board, allowing only 4.3 all core boost.
To get 4.7 all core boost you do need higher vrm count, let alone try to overclock all core 5ghz.
This is incorrect. The Hero board will quite happily allow considerably higher overclocks.

Soldato
Its all down to the chips TDP guys be it Z390/Z370
if you run the chip at its 95w tdp it will indeed within intel spec downclock
but like the Z370 boards you can unlock the TDP limit and give the chip its proper power to not throttle and to overclock it just requires sending more juice through the VRMS... ;)

but granted you will need with z370 boards some form of air being pushed through the VRM area to keep them cool or even better buy a MONOBLOCK :)

Soldato
but like the Z370 boards you can unlock the TDP limit and give the chip its proper power to not throttle and to overclock it just requires sending more juice through the VRMS... ;)

but granted you will need with z370 boards some form of air being pushed through the VRM area to keep them cool or even better buy a MONOBLOCK :)
So basically 99% of Z390 being sold are quite simply not fit for purpose?

Associate

In the review above guru3D didn't mention having to do anything apart from setting the multiplier and volts. Maybe they left something out.

Associate
Hardware unboxed video stated as such when testing. True you can bypass the 95W limit, but it would work beyond the motherboard spec.
That hardware unboxed video has in the comments several notes from the guys that created it.

You'll see them backpeddling.

The top pinned comment says that they now realise that "LTT manually limited the board."

There is no issue with Asus boards except the one hardware unboxed created.

Soldato
Many Z390 boards are just copies of Z370 board. Even some big names like the Asus Hero is just 4 vrm board, allowing only 4.3 all core boost.
To get 4.7 all core boost you do need higher vrm count, let alone try to overclock all core 5ghz.
This is incorrect, the Hero XI uses a new design with 8 separate drivers within high/low powerstages. Each capable of 50A. The misinformation comes from the controller using 4 PWM paired signals and no separate doublers. Overall its estimated to be more efficient design with less response lag .

Associate
This is incorrect, the Hero XI uses a new design with 8 separate drivers within high/low powerstages. Each capable of 50A. The misinformation comes from the controller using 4 PWM paired signals and no separate doublers. Overall its estimated to be more efficient design with less response lag .

precisely, even with the Gene and Extreme, Asus uses no doublers on those boards but rather they split one signal PWM signal into 2 powerstages (IR3555M), hence with the Gene and Extreme it is "5+2" vrm desgin. The powerstages used on those board have their own driver hence by passing a doubler reduces propagation delay by around 10ns to 30ns assuming the doubler is IR3599. This is relatively a new design on Z390 motherboards from Asus, the Apex Z390 will even be crazier.
Panos this time talking before Buildzoid has any videos released, he doesn't know anything.
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom