• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

I'm still pretty amazed that Intel have allowed us to have these cpu's on the Z370 platform, am guessing pressure from AMD and their allowing upgrading the same socket has pretty much forced them to.

I'm still pretty amazed that Intel have allowed us to have these cpu's on the Z370 platform...

Could it be that Z390 doesn't really exist? From what I gather, Intel's 10nm process woes have hit the chipset too, so rather than doing everything themselves with a shrink to 10nm, Intel are reusing the Z370 core and bolting on 3rd party components to achieve the functionality pegged for Z390. Isn't even even called "Z370 refresh" too, rather than Z390?

So since it's the Z370 core, I should imagine it's a bit late in the day to start messing with different pin arrangements, building the 9000s to match, so the only thing Intel could do to block the 9000s from Z370 boards would be a BIOS lock. And that's hackable. It feels more like "we can't realistically keep 9000 series away from Z370, so let's just do it given how rushed this whole thing is anyway" rather than any influence from AMD's future support pledge.

Edit: it's not shrinking to 10nm that's the issue, it's capacity issues to produce chipsets at 14nm, so everything's staying at 22nm.

Last edited:
I'm still pretty amazed that Intel have allowed us to have these cpu's on the Z370 platform, am guessing pressure from AMD and their allowing upgrading the same socket has pretty much forced them to.
Oh I suspect so.
What I don't understand is. Intel don't actually benefit from forcing a new socket type on us, board manufacturers do. I wouldn't be surprised if board manufacturers give Intel a back hander if Intel force a new socket type.

Oh I suspect so.
What I don't understand is. Intel don't actually benefit from forcing a new socket type on us, board manufacturers do. I wouldn't be surprised if board manufacturers give Intel a back hander if Intel force a new socket type.

Intel make a fortune on chipsets, NIC's and so on.

Considering the state of Intel business right now I'm surprised Z170 didn't get support.

Still, board manufacturers and retailers make a killing off new chipsets too. Wouldn't be surprised if they are all in silent cahoots about it.

Incredibly likely, some of the "need" for a new chipset seems very BS to say the least, ooh we added a pin or subtracted a pin, and you couldn't have went with the same amount why exactly? *cricket chirp*

I can bet Intel will come out with the i9 been supported only on the Z390 and only the 8 core i7 on Z370s....
The current bios updates on the Z370 don't say if it is for all 8 core CPUs. They just state that are for the new cpus.

I can bet Intel will come out with the i9 been supported only on the Z390 and only the 8 core i7 on Z370s....
The current bios updates on the Z370 don't say if it is for all 8 core CPUs. They just state that are for the new cpus.
how much is your bet?

Well, as long as whoever buys my mobo/chip in 2/3 years has some sort of an upgrade path that's fine :D

I won't trust Intel :) Reason is today announced the X599 (LGA 3467) platform to support their 28 core CPU. Something that the majority in this forum tried to ridicule me when I wrote that X299 won't support the 28 core CPU, especially when new X299 boards were hitting the market in June.... :)

how much is your bet?

From the Z370I bios change log, there is a series of 4-6 cores added to the latest one but only one 8 core signature.... Not 2.

Could it be that Z390 doesn't really exist? From what I gather, Intel's 10nm process woes have hit the chipset too...

Edit: it's not shrinking to 10nm that's the issue, it's capacity issues to produce chipsets at 14nm, so everything's staying at 22nm.
Chipset, or nowadays really just "South Bridge" are made on older nodes.
They don't require any highest performance, so they can be made on what's available with loose production capacity not needed for demanding/high performance/high value products.

Intel's Z370 is made on 22nm node.
https://ark.intel.com/products/125903/Intel-Z370-Chipset

They've always supported at least 2 CPU generations on the same chipset, I don't understand how this is new to some people.
And Z390 is just Z370 with integrated ac WiFi MAC, native USB 3.1 and SDXC support. Nothing really revolutionary there, just integrating more in the chipset.

Plus X299 will probably support LCC/HCC die Cascade Lake-X, only rumors on the possibility of XCC (up to 28 core) die support.

Z270 started and ended with Kaby Lake.
Z270 supported both Skylake & Kaby Lake, chipset refreshes happened before. 6 & 7 series chipsets had support for Sandy & Ivy Bridge; 8 and 9 series chipsets had support for Haswell, Haswell refresh and some Broadwell (which for all intents and purposes was MIA on the consumer market).
The older chipsets like the 3 and 4 series had support for more generations (back in the Core 2 Duo days), but starting with the 5th series of chipset boards Intel has been mainly supporting 2 generations of CPU per chipset.

AMD seems to want to support 3 or 4 CPU generations per chipset & socket so maybe the increased competition will push Intel to put more reserved pins and think ahead more with their next socket & chipset (which I doubt, but hopefully I'm wrong).

Back
Top Bottom