• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
All milking and ethics aside there is only one question needing answered.

Will it or will it not likely be the fastest gaming CPU in most cases?

Likely yes...Is that ridiculous?
Heh. It does amaze me how gaming-centric this forum is, it's nearly the only thing anyone seems to care about. Most other "enthusiast" forums are not like that IME.

Soldato
I'd wait 6 months for Ryzen 3000.

And yes Intel CPU's are riddled with security issues.
I've waited long enough. Also nothing that tells me Ryzen 3000 will beat Intel at gaming. My guess would be 12 cores/24 threads or something crazy @ 4.6Ghz kind of best guess right there.
That will STILL not be enough to topple the 9700/9900k from the gaming crown. Whether we like it or not. Until AMD get those Mhz up they just won't win at gaming. Which is mostly all I use my PC for now.

AMD makes GREAT CPUs make no mistake. Ryzen is fantastic. but for MY use case, of pure gaming. It's going be Intel still.

Soldato
Heh. It does amaze me how gaming-centric this forum is, it's nearly the only thing anyone seems to care about. Most other "enthusiast" forums are not like that IME.
So I should buy a HEDT chip to run Far Cry 5 on?

People can only go on their use case. I don't edit videos anymore, I don't crunch numbers. I only game on my home PC. So yeah.... I am gamer centric.

Anyway, my post was in reply to someone who said the 9900K was "ridiculous". Is it ridiculous for gamers? Having the fastest gaming chip? That makes the 1080Ti ridiculous as well then. for being the best consumer gaming GPU.

Soldato
So I should buy a HEDT chip to run Far Cry 5 on?

People can only go on their use case. I don't edit videos anymore, I don't crunch numbers. I only game on my home PC. So yeah.... I am gamer centric.

Anyway, my post was in reply to someone who said the 9900K was "ridiculous". Is it ridiculous for gamers? Having the fastest gaming chip? That makes the 1080Ti ridiculous as well then. for being the best consumer gaming GPU.
Of course if you're only gaming and you're willing to spend the cash you should go Intel. My point was regarding your "there is only one question needing answered" comment.

Caporegime
I've waited long enough. Also nothing that tells me Ryzen 3000 will beat Intel at gaming. My guess would be 12 cores/24 threads or something crazy @ 4.6Ghz kind of best guess right there.
That will STILL not be enough to topple the 9700/9900k from the gaming crown. Whether we like it or not. Until AMD get those Mhz up they just won't win at gaming. Which is mostly all I use my PC for now.

AMD makes GREAT CPUs make no mistake. Ryzen is fantastic. but for MY use case, of pure gaming. It's going be Intel still.

Its subjective and dependant, Intel only beat Ryzen if its an 8700K with 1080TI and if its at 720P / 1080P, that's a very narrow set of circumstance, and even then its only by 15%.

You are right and i completely agree but there does seem to be a sense of Intel and only Intel, in fact that only applies to less than 5% of gamers, the other 95% will get exactly the same performance and experience with a Ryzen 2600 vs the 9700K and 9900K.

The reason why i said i would wait, and i would, is because Global Foundries have said 7nm will be 40% faster vs 14nm, that's clock speed, ontop of that Ryzen 3000 is rumoured to get a 10 to 15% IPC bump, all this will put them ahead of Intel. Its worth the wait, for me at least.

Permabanned

If you are gaming at 480p, 720p or 1080p :D :D

At 2160p, all CPUs are equal .

Soldato
Its subjective and dependant, Intel only beat Ryzen if its an 8700K with 1080TI and if its at 720P / 1080P, that's a very narrow set of circumstance, and even then its only by 15%.

You are right and i completely agree but there does seem to be a sense of Intel and only Intel, in fact that only applies to less than 5% of gamers, the other 95% will get exactly the same performance and experience with a Ryzen 2600 vs the 9700K and 9900K.

The reason why i said i would wait, and i would, is because Global Foundries have said 7nm will be 40% faster vs 14nm, that's clock speed, ontop of that Ryzen 3000 is rumoured to get a 10 to 15% IPC bump, all this will put them ahead of Intel. Its worth the wait, for me at least.
Well that certainly sounds like it would be worth the wait for... hmmm. I do really wan't new shiny soon though. Cash waiting!

Associate
Well that certainly sounds like it would be worth the wait for... hmmm. I do really wan't new shiny soon though. Cash waiting!

There are many reviews and videos now showing the 8700k beating Ryzen at 1440p in some games and with a 1080 non ti so less narrow than what is trying to be pushed. Don't buy into the AMD push that goes on here. See what the 9700/9900k will do for your specific use and go from there.

Permabanned
There are many reviews and videos now showing the 8700k beating Ryzen at 1440p in some games and with a 1080 non ti so less narrow than what is trying to be pushed. Don't buy into the AMD push that goes on here. See what the 9700/9900k will do for your specific use and go from there.

Beating is a really strong word, when the performance differences across the reviews/games are within the statistical error, and depending on your particular configuration, can be nonexistent or negative for the Intel configurations.

Associate
Beating is a really strong word, when the performance differences across the reviews/games are within the statistical error, and depending on your particular configuration, can be nonexistent or negative for the Intel configurations.

I didn't say how much it was beating it by and it was all games. Just that it is misleading to make the statement that was made about 1080ti's and 720/1080/1440p. There are plenty of numbers out there but people continue to try to sway people towards buying AMD.

Soldato
I didn't say how much it was beating it by and it was all games. Just that it is misleading to make the statement that was made about 1080ti's and 720/1080/1440p. There are plenty of numbers out there but people continue to try to sway people towards buying AMD.
I mean I can see why. It's good for all of us if AMD do well and are deadlocked in market share with Intel.
But I just don't see the hatred for the 9700k 9900k. I mean the one thing Ryzen had on Intel was cores, threads and solder. And Intel have answered... Yes I hate Intel, but it looks a fine CPU for a gamer no doubt.

Soldato
As Gigabyte and Asus has abandoned everyone still on the Haswell platform we have had not bios updates for these vulnerabilities, only the software updates through Windows plus the latest versions of Firefox so both our pc's here are still vulnerable. If I remember right though, doesn't someone need physical access to the pc at admin level or something similar to be able to exploit these vulnerabilities?

The 9700k interests me a lot but as long as they keep launching cpu's that are still vulnerable to attack I will not be going anywhere near them. What's going to be their first "fixed" release, Icelake? I should be able to hang on until then and make a choice between that and whatever AMD has then.

No you don't need access to the system. Intel needs a full rework of it's chips so around 2021 ish.

Associate
I mean I can see why. It's good for all of us if AMD do well and are deadlocked in market share with Intel.
But I just don't see the hatred for the 9700k 9900k. I mean the one thing Ryzen had on Intel was cores, threads and solder. And Intel have answered... Yes I hate Intel, but it looks a fine CPU for a gamer no doubt.

You have to look at where the hatred comes from though and observe how they post. The hatred comes from someone having a bad experience with Intel, someone who takes allegiances seriously, almost in a cultish way, someone who wants the fastest CPU but it is out of their price range. It's a bit like football rivalry also. Also some people get off by influencing someone and having an impact on their purchasing decisions.

Associate
I’m happy to see Intel finally solder their CPUs again and even give us fast 8 cores to play with but I sure as heck want to avoid buying a new CPU that has ongoing security issues.
These new CPU’s do not seem to have any hardware fixes in them, not even partially which kind of takes some of the excitement away from an otherwise great looking 8 core line.

Back
Top Bottom