• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
I’m happy to see Intel finally solder their CPUs again and even give us fast 8 cores to play with but I sure as heck want to avoid buying a new CPU that has ongoing security issues.
These new CPU’s do not seem to have any hardware fixes in them, not even partially which kind of takes some of the excitement away from an otherwise great looking 8 core line.
Luckily, and possibly ignorantly. I don't give two hoots about security flaws like this. Hell, all my details are probably EVERYWHERE now anyway thanks to social media. If my credit card got hacked then I get the money straight back from my bank. I mean I'm using my PC to game. Whats the worst than can happen? And likely I wouldn't be a target.

Associate
Luckily, and possibly ignorantly. I don't give two hoots about security flaws like this. Hell, all my details are probably EVERYWHERE now anyway thanks to social media. If my credit card got hacked then I get the money straight back from my bank. I mean I'm using my PC to game. Whats the worst than can happen? And likely I wouldn't be a target.
Well besides security and specific workloads, gaming performance has actually started to suffer after all the recent fixes.
It’s only around 2% which is basically nothing but I can’t help but think what will happen after Intel releases more security fixes in the future.
That’s why I was hoping we would at least see a partial hardware fix on these 9000 series CPU's.

Permabanned
I mean I can see why. It's good for all of us if AMD do well and are deadlocked in market share with Intel.
But I just don't see the hatred for the 9700k 9900k. I mean the one thing Ryzen had on Intel was cores, threads and solder. And Intel have answered... Yes I hate Intel, but it looks a fine CPU for a gamer no doubt.

Isn't the answer a knee jerk reaction out of scare not to lose market, sales and profits?
These are late and still quite overpriced, anyways.

Associate
It might be, but would the margins justify buying into bug riddled hardware?

All processors have errata lists, that isn't anything new. Vulnerabilities are also a factor, but if they're mitigated via uefi & software patching, why is it even an issue? If the testing is done with the patches installed then you can see the performance difference between various products and make a decision yourself.

Soldato
All processors have errata lists, that isn't anything new. Vulnerabilities are also a factor, but if they're mitigated via uefi & software patching, why is it even an issue? If the testing is done with the patches installed then you can see the performance difference between various products and make a decision yourself.
I’m quite interested in these “new” 8-cores, but releasing a new CPU series with year-old known vulnerabilities kinda sucks. Isn’t this basically selling something with a manufacturing flaw?

Soldato

I'm on a 5960x at the moment, which already has the security flaws. My first port of call will be to compare performance between that and the 9900k and decide if it's worth the move.

Then, I need to decide between the 9900k and the 2950x. The AMD chip is edging it so far, but I do need to see gaming performance at 3440*1440 before I can make an informed decision. The AMD chip has the core count advantage and it has no security flaws.

What you need to think about with Intel is that they will eventually release hardware that doesn't need software patches, and at that point they will stop writing patches for the 9900k and all the rest. That's why I want to move on from my X99 setup and it's why I don't want to buy into Intels flawed new hardware.

If there was no alternative then I could maybe understand why people could throw money at the flawed hardware, but that just isn't the case.

Soldato
Right, in all seriousness do we have a release or pre-release or pre-order date or ANYTHING for 9th gen chips yet?? Everything I see says Q3. Well, hate to say it but Q4 is fast approaching!

Last edited:
Associate
The AMD chip has the core count advantage and it has no security flaws.

It does though, AMD's CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre variant 1 and 2. They're not vulnerable to Meltdown and Foreshadow (L1TF).
Mitigation was done via OS patching and possibly some microcode updates, though AMD has been sparse on any details in regards to its recent Agesa updates.

Erratas too, processors have errata lists and ways to mitigate them, it's normal. IMO, if it's a security flaw or errata without any kind of mitigation, then you should be worried.

Soldato
It does though, AMD's CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre variant 1 and 2. They're not vulnerable to Meltdown and Foreshadow (L1TF).
Mitigation was done via OS patching and possibly some microcode updates, though AMD has been sparse on any details in regards to its recent Agesa updates.

Erratas too, processors have errata lists and ways to mitigate them, it's normal. IMO, if it's a security flaw or errata without any kind of mitigation, then you should be worried.

Have you a link to a successful attack on ryen, I know AMD stated it is theoretically possible and patched but am not aware of it been actually done

Though there's that many flaws turned up now it's hard to keep track

Soldato

Fair points, I suppose it's going to come down to performance; and Intel needs to outperform the 2950x in 3440*1440 gaming and above for me to be swayed.

Associate
I heard from a distributor in South East Asia, Asrock OC Formula is no more, not sure if they have anything to replace but the name OC Formula won't be available at least on launch. I also heard that the Taichi will have a single dimm per channel variant.

Soldato
Fair points, I suppose it's going to come down to performance; and Intel needs to outperform the 2950x in 3440*1440 gaming and above for me to be swayed.
String, are you currently weighing up between 9900k and 2950x?

I'm doing the same, as I'm also at 1440. Ill be interested in knowing the gap with the new cards too, they could be out and available by the time the 9000 comes out.

Back
Top Bottom