• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
Given that latest Geekbench rumor, I will say again, the 9900k will be around £500+.

Its performance is basically on par with the 7900X but without the HEDT features, you think Intel is going to invalidate 7900X sales by pricing the 9900k around £400? That would render the 7900X useless at its price point.

Not to mention Intel would then need to drop the price of every chip below it.

If they drop it in the £500-600 mark it fits perfectly for price and performance.

Remember this is Intel, they only dropped the 8700k and 8086k so cheap is because they had to, to stay within a price range of AMD.

Anyone thinking Intel is going to offer 7900X performance for the price of the 8086k is kidding themselves, Intel are about to milk the market with the 9900k and the other 9 series chips because they will have the defacto best CPU for mainstream for the foreseeable future.

I expect the straight up 8 core 9 series to be £450+.

Intel ruined the 7800x when they dropped the 8700k.
I can see the same happening here. Why are people thinking this is going to be like a 7820x lol? Its literally a 8700K with 2 cores bolted on.

Soldato
Intel ruined the 7800x when they dropped the 8700k.
I can see the same happening here. Why are people thinking this is going to be like a 7820x lol? Its literally a 8700K with 2 cores bolted on.

Even if it's 8700k with 2 extra cores, if you allow 20% extra cost on top of the current top i7 the 8086k which this 9900k is the 8 core version of, that's £480, add in some inflation Intel Tax and your already £500+.

Like I say this is where I expect it to sit in the £500-600 bracket so as to not upset their HEDT owners yet again. Threadripper is already causing them problems in that market without cannibalising their own sales there.

Soldato
Like I've said before, it won't compete against the 7900X because Intel is also releasing a new HEDT line based on Cascade Lake dies.

And it will be priced accordingly as well, you honestly think its going be be sub £700 for something that beats the 9900k? Because knowing Intel's past record I sure as hell don't think it will.

Associate
Jamie your comparison on value is way out. At the time the 1800X was $500 you had to spend $1000 on the 6900K or drop down to a 6 core chip for closer to the 1800X price but still pay the HEDT tax on Intel. AM4 was brand new so some memory issues was not unusual, Intel have had similar ones themselves with new platforms.

This was the reason the Ryzen chips sent a shockwave through the industry, they offered massive bang for buck and not Intel. They still do ;)
Well yes it is comparable, you can still buy 1k Intel hedt chips now and still buy 1k tr4 Amd chips also. It just seems to suit amd fans to let it slide that Ryzen 1800x had a £499.99 release price tag yet Intel's far superior 8 core has to suddenly be much cheaper (a suggested £30 per core) in order to even compete.

You could say at the time Intel's top mainstream chip was only £320-350 and the 1800x was very much mainstream (non tr/hedt). It just seems contradictory and a bit 'one rule for one and another rule for another' to me.

As far as I can see, it ended up that there was very little to warrant the 1800x price tag as well...The Intel 6 core mainstream smashed it in single core performance whilsts showing its core superiority in also keeping toe to toe with it in multicore workloads with 2 cores and 4 threads less at an rrp of well under £100 less!. Whats more is that those teething memory issues still very much exist today.
Now lets talk about value for money again.

Soldato
Even if it's 8700k with 2 extra cores, if you allow 20% extra cost on top of the current top i7 the 8086k which this 9900k is the 8 core version of, that's £480, add in some inflation Intel Tax and your already £500+.

Like I say this is where I expect it to sit in the £500-600 bracket so as to not upset their HEDT owners yet again. Threadripper is already causing them problems in that market without cannibalising their own sales there.

The 8086k is a limited run CPU and will have a higher price point. Its better to add 20% to the regular 8700K which can be seen for £330 now.
Even IF this comes in at £500, it will sell with no issues. The fastest 8 core you can buy will be enough to justify its price point for many people.

If intel really are feeling the squeeze from AMD then they will price these to be competitive. I actually don't think they give a damn. It has been AMD lowering its prices these past months.

Soldato
It will most likely be very similar to a 7820X because thats pretty much what it is. Higher clockspeed, hampered memory. It will probably run a lot hotter than 7820 and not scale to well with voltage.
Doesn’t the 7820X already beat the 2700X? The higher clockspeed will only widen that gap, even with all the “flaws”.

Soldato
The 8086k is a limited run CPU and will have a higher price point. Its better to add 20% to the regular 8700K which can be seen for £330 now.
Even IF this comes in at £500, it will sell with no issues. The fastest 8 core you can buy will be enough to justify its price point for many people.

If intel really are feeling the squeeze from AMD then they will price these to be competitive. I actually don't think they give a damn. It has been AMD lowering its prices these past months.

What was 8700k on release? I don't remember, however 8086k limited or not, it's the current top end i7 and it's still available everywhere, so you have to base prices off this, Intel will.

Even if this cpu is £550+ it will still sell.. PC components are increasingly more expensive year on year across the board. Yet people are still buying them.

In all honesty this could well be the new 2500k CPU, is the CPU that many push the boat out on and not replace for many years as potentially it has the scope to be both the fastest single core and best multi core CPU of its tier for many years.

I'm more than tempted to go for one myself and let my boys have my Ryzen rig as if 7nm Ryzen is decent I have the option to swap back.

Only thing holding me back is actual reviews, price and longevity of socket, I'm also at the edge of just giving up pc gaming and staying with consoles, but that means waiting til the next round of consoles really.

It's becoming increasingly harder to justify spending £2-3k each time I do a new rig rebuild to not just buy a console and a wad of games and be done with it

Soldato
What was 8700k on release? I don't remember, however 8086k limited or not, it's the current top end i7 and it's still available everywhere, so you have to base prices off this, Intel will.

Even if this cpu is £550+ it will still sell.. PC components are increasingly more expensive year on year across the board. Yet people are still buying them.

In all honesty this could well be the new 2500k CPU, is the CPU that many push the boat out on and not replace for many years as potentially it has the scope to be both the fastest single core and best multi core CPU of its tier for many years.

I'm more than tempted to go for one myself and let my boys have my Ryzen rig as if 7nm Ryzen is decent I have the option to swap back.

Only thing holding me back is actual reviews, price and longevity of socket, I'm also at the edge of just giving up pc gaming and staying with consoles, but that means waiting til the next round of consoles really.

It's becoming increasingly harder to justify spending £2-3k each time I do a new rig rebuild to not just buy a console and a wad of games and be done with it

I paid £400 for mine due to price gouging and retailers holding them back for their own milking/delidding service.
By the time this CPU will need upgrading, we will be on DDR5 and a whole load of other new features so socket life should not be an issue for most.
I don't think I could do to console :/

Associate
I paid £400 for mine due to price gouging and retailers holding them back for their own milking/delidding service.
By the time this CPU will need upgrading, we will be on DDR5 and a whole load of other new features so socket life should not be an issue for most.
I don't think I could do to console :/
I had to do the same but rrp was supposed to be £379.99 for the 8700k on release if i remember correctly.

I have to buy a ps4 console and re-sell it every so often as I just can't go without playing some of the exclusives like uncharted and the last of us.

Soldato
I have an Xbox one X and tons of games and will buy the next release of console. Only thing keeping me on PC is the better keyboard and mouse support and I like MMO's which often don't translate to well to console.

The 9900k or Zen2 will probably be my last hurrah in PC gaming

Associate
And it will be priced accordingly as well, you honestly think its going be be sub £700 for something that beats the 9900k? Because knowing Intel's past record I sure as hell don't think it will.
They'll most likely have to bring their HEDT per core pricing down a little bit since TR2 is more competitive than TR1, but the 9900K will probably be in its own bracket. Don't think any of the HEDT CPUs will be nearly as good as the 9900K in single thread though.
Remains to be seen at this point, the launch shouldn't be far off, 1 month or so.

Associate
I have an Xbox one X and tons of games and will buy the next release of console. Only thing keeping me on PC is the better keyboard and mouse support and I like MMO's which often don't translate to well to console.

The 9900k or Zen2 will probably be my last hurrah in PC gaming

Yeah I'm trying to go all out as much as I can on this next build, religiously I upgrade almost every time there's something new out and I just can't keep up or afford to keep doing it. I have decided that even though i love the latest and greatest, i really do have to settle on something this time around and actually get its moneys worth for once.

Ive lost so much on wanting to swap about and test the latest tech, I've said to myself enough is enough and I feel the i9 label will hold it's money and what with clockspeeds almost at their max, I feel 8 core 16 threads of top tier core performance will last many many years.

What better time would there be than now to build a rig to stand the tests of time?....

Permabanned
I’d say you’d still be better off waiting to see what Zen 2 offers unless you absolutely have or need to upgrade.

Their is a good chance that Zen 2 will match or beat the 9 series in performance while still offering better value for money, you can always potentially add in Zen 3 for another boost, if that is still compatible.

As good as the 9 series will be it seems strange to me why people wouldn’t wait unless they absolutely have to have Intel.

I’m also looking forward to what the next generation of consoles have to offer as it is defiantly getting harder to justify these ever increasing price rises.

Permabanned
If you always play the waiting game, you will never upgrade.
Ifs all about weighing up your choices. Like I said if you can justify it then go ahead but if you think that in 6-9 months you may get a better deal then why not wait?

At the very least you won’t be getting stung with the early adopter/shortage tax.

Associate
I’d say you’d still be better off waiting to see what Zen 2 offers unless you absolutely have or need to upgrade.

Their is a good chance that Zen 2 will match or beat the 9 series in performance while still offering better value for money, you can always potentially add in Zen 3 for another boost, if that is still compatible.

As good as the 9 series will be it seems strange to me why people wouldn’t wait unless they absolutely have to have Intel.

I’m also looking forward to what the next generation of consoles have to offer as it is defiantly getting harder to justify these ever increasing price rises.
Zen 2 Is a long way off for most people with it being rumoured to be released well into next year, I really cant see it beating out these cpus on a core to core basis myself and if people are looking to upgrade or build a new rig, it'll be pretty difficult to control that upgrade itch for months when in reality there isnt really a lot faster cpu's can get.

8 cores and 16 threads of the rumoured clocks with coffee lake ipc will be more enough for anybody for non commercial use.

You can imagine waiting months and months and it ends up a bit of a let down, that to me is worse than if you buy now and be using the latest and greatest and then find out later that it gets fractionally overtaken (youd at least have had some serious fun for months at the top end of performance).

Back
Top Bottom