• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

They are saying €440, which is roughly £400 for this model... OCUK has raised prices on the 8700k to £390 and the 8086K to £420...the 8600K is £120 less at £270... so even if you was to say the difference between the HT and non HT variants was £100 being generous, that would put the 9900k at £500, again i wouldnt be surprised to see it £550+

Yeah these prices have been rumoured for a while now, its typical about how someone like Intel reacts to competition, they are selling a lot less retail CPU's because AMD are now chewing up about half the sales with Ryzen so the reaction is not just to match AMD 'for now' on core counts but also push the prices up to make up the difference in the sales revenue they are losing to AMD.

Yeah these prices have been rumoured for a while now, its typical about how someone like Intel reacts to competition, they are selling a lot less retail CPU's because AMD are now chewing up about half the sales with Ryzen so the reaction is not just to match AMD 'for now' on core counts but also push the prices up to make up the difference in the sales revenue they are losing to AMD.

I dont think its a case of that, you are sort of right, the type of people who upgrade year on year are mainly sticking with Intel though, a few have defected to AMD but i would bet most stood with Intel, however there are a lot of people on 2500k era rigs who moved over to AMD, these buyers are conscientious of getting bang for buck and basically only AMD offer that at the moment. But they are a 1 in 5 year type sale, and may stick with AMD or go Intel next time round depending on how the market is.

As i said, Intel are bringing new premium chips to the market, these will have to be higher than the current stuff, they simply cannot sell an 8 core chip cheaper than a 6 core chip as it makes the 6 core irrelevant, and then they have to look at overall product stack, they cant sell an 8c 16t chip too cheap as it will dissuade the people who are looking at HEDT chips where there is much better margin, to ignore that sector and stay in the desktop sector.

Intel pretty much have to market these inbetween the 2 product sectors, they cant be too close to HEDT and cant be too close to the top desktop stuff as you run the risk of making either sector irrelevant, which means even more lost sales, especially in HEDT where they make major money.

In anycase its a good chip but it doesn't look like a replacement for people with existing 8700K's and in highly threaded workloads its still slower than the 2700X, i think only the 9900K can beat that, at a huge cost.
Thats true and based on this review I hope intel aren't forgetting they have real competition now! The pricing on the 9700K and 9900k versus AMD's 2700X will be very important this time around.

Thats true and based on this review I hope intel aren't forgetting they have real competition now! The pricing on the 9700K and 9900k versus AMD's 2700X will be very important this time around.

See above, i fear pricing is the one thing that Intel really cant budge on, even though they kinda need to. Intel really need to move their entire Desktop product stack down a notch in pricing, to really compete with AMD right now :(

lol what's the point of the i7 8 core.

AMD HQ right now.
62f30f0dfb0d1a0e3c36dcb205f214218250f0c44c2a9a6544dc340db262738f.gif

AMD HQ right now.

Intel are not selling many HEDT chips, they are not very good, at least if the rainforest best sellers list is anything to go by they are constantly lagging well behind the competition, even Bulldozer is consistently outselling them.

This is their attempt to reinvigorate some of that mindshare, to a limited extent it probably will work, few people will be buying the 9900K as gaming CPU's but some of those looking at the 7820-X and thinking "nope i think i'll go for this Threadripper" will go back to Intel.

Short term that's great for Intel, but in about 6 months with Ryzen 3000 the 9900K is going to be obsolete, very obsolete.

Last edited:

AMD HQ right now.

If rumour is to be believed it'll clock higher than the bigger chip that has HT, also it'll be immune to some of the defects that intel chips demonstrate in their security flaws, and be less effected by the fixes, and may indeed become the 'gamers' chip.

If rumour is to be believed it'll clock higher than the bigger chip that has HT, also it'll be immune to some of the defects that intel chips demonstrate in their security flaws, and be less effected by the fixes, and may indeed become the 'gamers' chip.
There is something utterly depressing about a chip potentially being heralded because it lacks features that have existed for 15+ years because that feature contains a security flaw.

Back
Top Bottom