• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
I recall the EU practices 0% import fees for electronics, so pricing should only be MSRP + VAT.

@SiDeards73 500 pound is about 650 dollars. It's most likely going to end up being a maximum of 450 pound in the UK, but I'm talking MSRP wise, retailers will most likely inflate pricing since demand will be high.

Current 8700K is £400... the 8086k is what? £430? i dont buy the "limited" with it either, Intel are harvesting all the best 8700k chips to feed this "limited edition" Supply... i can almost garauntee the 9900k will not be £450 msrp in the UK, £480 yeah possibly, and like you say with gouging these will be £500-600

Associate
Current 8700K is £400... the 8086k is what? £430? i dont buy the "limited" with it either, Intel are harvesting all the best 8700k chips to feed this "limited edition" Supply... i can almost garauntee the 9900k will not be £450 msrp in the UK, £480 yeah possibly, and like you say with gouging these will be £500-600

Erm the 8086 can be had for 60 less than that if you hunt around.

Associate
Thats all well and dandy until it comes to RMA time :) good luck with that for some products, sometimes its worth the extra for OCUK to handle the RMA shenanigans for you.
this is true but Intel RMA is solid, turn over time is around 3-4 working days. Strictly speaking for CPU, you don't really need to buy from ocuk only.

Soldato
Thats all well and dandy until it comes to RMA time :) good luck with that for some products, sometimes its worth the extra for OCUK to handle the RMA shenanigans for you.
OcUK's customer service is great but the same is true for plenty of other places IME. I do make a point of buying from OcUK if there is no price difference though.

Soldato
The Haribo isn’t enough to take away the sour taste from a previous big product launch. Forum members were promised priority on orders but then pre-order links were splattered all over social media. So I’ll be buying from whoever has the best in-stock price.

Associate
The Haribo isn’t enough to take away the sour taste from a previous big product launch. Forum members were promised priority on orders but then pre-order links were splattered all over social media. So I’ll be buying from whoever has the best in-stock price.
The Haribo statement was a bit of an exaggeration, but it is definitely a nice touch.

In fairness, ive probably seen worse and im pretty sure Gav was on this particular thread at the time too (i maybe wrong and may confuse him for someone else with a similar name and he doesnt have an obligation to comment regardless), but i do know ocuk upset me once with the preorders on the 8700k. They basically sold many pre orders to people and before fulfilling those orders they opened up and delidded RETAIL packs in the initial shortage of the paper launch (when they also had little to no OEM tray cpus), they then sold them as 5ghz+ delidded and pre binned oem chips for a huge premium to new customers/recent buyers instead of fulfilling the pre ordered ones for retail pricing, as they knew people would pay the extra in the shortage (knowing most standard ones got to 5ghz oc anyway).
They claimed they only had 15 in their initial delivery, or something like that, but its not the point, it was the fact they did it to sealed retail packs having already taken money on the pre orders from people in advance days/weeks beforehand. People were indeed waiting on them having already paid for them (me included).

Some people didnt see this as a problem and some suggested it is standard buiness practice and it is their stock so they are obliged to do as they please with it and as a business, profit margins matter and all that jazz, but to me, a business can be profitable and successfull whilst also complying with common morals. I felt the moment they took the first 15 pre orders for those retail packs (money debited and given to ocuk in advance from their advertisement of preordering the next available cpus) then those first 15 were in fact not OCUK's to open, delid and pre bin, they were already pre sold and paid for.
This was not just hearsay either, it was confirmed by the very staff member who did the delidding who slipped it out in the forums with something along the lines of "theyre selling like hot cakes (speaking about the pre binned ones and defending their premium pricing for basic 5ghz chips in the shortage) they're actually selling so well at these prices that we've even had to open 15 retail packets we had in today and bin all those too" (whoops).

Anyway, a few whinges and moans and they somehow got a batch in within a day or so and shipped loads out to people for retail prices who had previously pre ordered. They also said on the thread they would never do it again and it was an isolated incident but stood firm that it was their stock to do as they pleased and as a business there was technically no wrong doing and so on.
I just forgave that one situation because in every other way they have been fantastic, their customer service in general second to none and in other ways they will go above and beyond for you, RMA is always easy and this is why 99.9% of new pc componets i buy comes from OCUK. (they probably hate me after this post now though lol)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Haribo statement was a bit of an exaggeration, but it is definitely a nice touch.

In fairness, ive probably seen worse and im pretty sure Gav was on this particular thread at the time too (i maybe wrong and may confuse him for someone else with a similar name and he doesnt have an obligation to comment regardless), but i do know ocuk upset me once with the preorders on the 8700k. They basically sold many pre orders to people and before fulfilling those orders they opened up and delidded RETAIL packs in the initial shortage of the paper launch (when they also had little to no OEM tray cpus), they then sold them as 5ghz+ delidded and pre binned oem chips for a huge premium to new customers/recent buyers instead of fulfilling the pre ordered ones for retail pricing, as they knew people would pay the extra in the shortage (knowing most standard ones got to 5ghz oc anyway).
They claimed they only had 15 in their initial delivery, or something like that, but its not the point, it was the fact they did it to sealed retail packs having already taken money on the pre orders from people in advance days/weeks beforehand. People were indeed waiting on them having already paid for them (me included).

Some people didnt see this as a problem and some suggested it is standard buiness practice and it is their stock so they are obliged to do as they please with it and as a business, profit margins matter and all that jazz, but to me, a business can be profitable and successfull whilst also complying with common morals. I felt the moment they took the first 15 pre orders for those retail packs (money debited and given to ocuk in advance from their advertisement of preordering the next available cpus) then those first 15 were in fact not OCUK's to open, delid and pre bin, they were already pre sold and paid for.
This was not just hearsay either, it was confirmed by the very staff member who did the delidding who slipped it out in the forums with something along the lines of "theyre selling like hot cakes (speaking about the pre binned ones and defending their premium pricing for basic 5ghz chips in the shortage) they're actually selling so well at these prices that we've even had to open 15 retail packets we had in today and bin all those too" (whoops).

Anyway, a few whinges and moans and they somehow got a batch in within a day or so and shipped loads out to people for retail prices who had previously pre ordered. They also said on the thread they would never do it again and it was an isolated incident but stood firm that it was their stock to do as they pleased and as a business there was technically no wrong doing and so on.
I just forgave that one situation because in every other way they have been fantastic, their customer service in general second to none and in other ways they will go above and beyond for you, RMA is always easy and this is why 99.9% of new pc componets i buy comes from OCUK. (they probably hate me after this post now though lol)

Yep I was in that thread. I was ******.
Managed to source one elsewhere at an inflated price on launch day.
Their loss :)

Soldato

I can understand the frustration at that, and it happened around the time 1080ti cards were inflated to over £1k to cash in on the mining boom (although OcUK weren't the only retailer doing that).

I bought two GTX970 from OcUK, and when the Ramgate incident broke they offered a no questions asked refund regardless of when you had bought the card from them, and I took them up on the offer. No other company did that, and that's why I'm very loyal when it comes to purchase choice.

At the end of the day, if they ramp up the price for business reasons then ultimately it's my choice whether to buy. But if I do buy, it's done safe in the knowledge that customer service will be second to none.

People also tend to forget that these forums are part of the customer service experience. How many companies engage with their customers in this way? Any companies that do provide a forum will get the internet Tippex out at any sign of negative comments regarding the company. From that point of view, OcUK are very transparent; even if it's stuff you don't want to hear. :)

Soldato
Back on topic, Does anyone else think that there may be less difference between the 8xxx series and the 9xxx series than we expect?

Considering that Intel would be comparing a stock 8700K with their new soldered chip, giving an uplift in performance. Whereas enthusiasts will be comparing delidded and possibly binned 8700K performance with an off the shelf 9900K?

Associate
What differences do you expect? It's an 8700K with 2 extra cores, same single core performance, more multithreaded, that's all there is to it.
By the looks of things it can also reach 5Ghz, so similar overclocking to the 8700K.

Soldato
What differences do you expect? It's an 8700K with 2 extra cores, same single core performance, more multithreaded, that's all there is to it.
By the looks of things it can also reach 5Ghz, so similar overclocking to the 8700K.

I don't expect anything :) But I do see a lot of talk that this may be the second coming... As you say it's just two more cores and some solder. I imagine it will run hotter too with 33% more cores. Will be interesting to see what the power draw is when it's maxed out.

Associate
It has a massive advantage in being soldered this time around, I don't expect to see huge gains in gaming and single core performance because coffee is already quite a good chip manufactured with a very mature 14nm++ process but the latest refinements are mostly going to give performance increases from the improved thermals and the extra turbo boost clockspeed and oc headroom...at stock the ipc is similar to 8700k but it boosts to 5ghz out of the box...it is these high end boosts and extra couple of hundred mhz of oc headroom where the added performance will come into play, the added 2 cores and 4 threads will give it a better all round performance on the multicore workload side. To me the chip will be top of the charts for gaming but the newly added cores will also put it high up the performance charts for multicore workloads too. Its likely going to be the best all rounder.

Back
Top Bottom