Corsair Carbide Air 540 Builds

Read a lot of this thread now and I'm thinking this may well be the case for me. I'm going to be running an SLI set-up, and most likely a H100i too. With that in mind, what sort of fan arrangement would you guys recommend?

Should I switch the 2 140mm fans at the front to 3 120mm fans? And if so, which ones? How about the 140mm exhaust at the rear? I have my eye on a pair of the 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons for the H100i, would they do the trick?

Seems like the CPU will be fine, but I'm slightly worried about the GPUs as in SLI the to one is going to get toasty and this case has no side fan to help alleviate that. How can I set the fans up to 'focus fire' on that area?

Any advice greatly appreciated! BTW the mobo is likely to be a Asus Hero and the cards will probably be EVGA 780s, with the ACX cooler. This is all changeable as I've not ordered anything yet, but will be pulling the trigger next week!

Read a lot of this thread now and I'm thinking this may well be the case for me. I'm going to be running an SLI set-up, and most likely a H100i too. With that in mind, what sort of fan arrangement would you guys recommend?

Should I switch the 2 140mm fans at the front to 3 120mm fans? And if so, which ones? How about the 140mm exhaust at the rear? I have my eye on a pair of the 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons for the H100i, would they do the trick?

Seems like the CPU will be fine, but I'm slightly worried about the GPUs as in SLI the to one is going to get toasty and this case has no side fan to help alleviate that. How can I set the fans up to 'focus fire' on that area?

Any advice greatly appreciated! BTW the mobo is likely to be a Asus Hero and the cards will probably be EVGA 780s, with the ACX cooler. This is all changeable as I've not ordered anything yet, but will be pulling the trigger next week!

Not sure about fans (I'm wondering too) but you could always switch to another board to give the top card a bit of breathing room. The Z87X-OC uses the 1st and 3rd PCIe slots for 2x crossfire/sli leaving some space between your cards (cheaper than the Asus Hero too).

My 7850 is at 53-57 with Battefield 3 running, i3-2120 at 40-50. No crossfire/overclock there, just giving an example with stock fans and h100i.

Yeah both the Z87X-OC and the Sniper M5 have been suggested for that very reason, and it's definitely tempting. Trouble is this will be my very first build, and I spent quite a while looking in detail at the ASUS ROG bios (I'd never seen one before!) due to a lot of reviewers heralding it as the simplest to use for inexperienced builders. I might have to have a look at the Gigabyte one. ASUS Fan Xpert II seemed really handy, too.

Cheers for the tip - off to do more research! I also wondered if I should switch to a H80i and put that in the rear exhaust fan slot, freeing up the 2 roof slots for fans optimised for airflow instead of static pressure. Would that make any difference to the overall cooling or would it negatively impact CPU cooling for no gain elsewhere?

Well i just tried an hour of BF3 and the max cpu temp was 51c but the gpu temp was 68c which is not what I was getting in my previous case (65c) which I don't understand as there is waaaay more airflow compared to my previous case. I think im going to settle for 3x AF120's at the front and 1x AF140 at the rear. Will no doubt go down the watercooling route, probably something like this in uv white http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-020-TL&tool=3.

Going for a blue and white vibe.

Sure it's got nothing to do with the ambient temps? If you have the central heating on in your house, it could skew the results quite dramatically.

Was just thinking that myself. Had the heating on earlier in the day playing Arma 3 and cpu temps hit 67c and gpu 68c, never had temps that high before but recently moved into a new place where the heating turns the room temp hot very very quickly so that could be too blame.

Dammit i am skint and those stock fans will close £60 to replace! Corsair low noise 120mm in red then lads? Seems a lot of people are doing the same builds 4770k H100i etc. It is what i am doing as well except im on the wall over H100i or H110 with push pull 140mm

Dammit i am skint and those stock fans will close £60 to replace! Corsair low noise 120mm in red then lads? Seems a lot of people are doing the same builds 4770k H100i etc. It is what i am doing as well except im on the wall over H100i or H110 with push pull 140mm
Try the MM? Might get lucky.

I got a fan controller on the stock fans that helped the noise although it was not too bad to begin with I wanted quiet as possible.

I've just ordered 3x AF120 quiet edition fans for the front of the case, this setup will allow more airflow to the gpu fans as with the 2x 140 setup you can't get the fan to the lowest point of the case eg. directly under the gpu. Delivery is tomorrow so will post any positive or negative (I hope not) results.

Hi Guys I've got 6 SP120 quiet edition fans for the case and was wondering what setup I should have? Currently I have it as front three intake and the back three as exhaust (top 2 and 1 rear). Is this optimal?

Back
Top Bottom