Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit

Associate
Apologies if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but does anyone know whether this will be made compatible with the LGA1156 socket?

Really would like to couple this with an i5 750 :)

Permabanned
Check the OC. I expect the vcore is set to something silly like 1.35v. My temps are with a 1.248vcore by cpuz. higher the vcore, higher the temps.

My original bundle OC was pretty generic tbh and need a lot of tweaking. You get a quaranteed 4ghz chip tho.

Well yeah thanks for stating the obvious there bud but we are not all lucky enough to have cpus that overclock that great.

The i7 920 im using needs at least 1.312V for 4GHz, and the default voltage is 1.275V.

I'll have a look into using different fans though, worth a try.

Also, how is MX3 compared to MX2?

Soldato
Well yeah thanks for stating the obvious there bud but we are not all lucky enough to have cpus that overclock that great.

The i7 920 im using needs at least 1.312V for 4GHz, and the default voltage is 1.275V.

I'll have a look into using different fans though, worth a try.

Also, how is MX3 compared to MX2?

Nice attitude mate. All I was saying is my bundle OC came with the same vcore and it didn't need to be that high, so you should look at reducing it. If you can't that's unfortunate but it was worth a try.

I use MX2 which is far superior to the generic stuff that is preapplied. Haven't used MX3 yet so can't judge how much improvement there is.

I use a 1.312vcore for 4.2 and temps are 77c to 80c on average, so still seems a little high.

Soldato
I'm using the H50 + 2 Apache's(push>pull config), got to be best set up using a Akasa AK-CB002 PWM Fan Splitter Cable. Fan's now spin at AV 1400rpm so getting a bit extra performance out of them, going to get a couple of items next week and one will be AC MX-3 . Any one using it MX-3? what where the result's please.

Soldato
Thanks for the info rhino, mmm as i'll be getting 4 fans for my 240 rad and having all 4 pusing, as in 2 top, 2 bottom which would increase pressure (been bench tested) but still not as good as apaches.

So i might aswell just get 2 apache fans it seem lol.

Thanks for the info and the heads up rhino

Associate
I've got mx-3 paste sitting here, I'll be using it on the h50 when my i7 920 parts turn up, hopefully tomorrow so I might be able to give people some insight as to how good the mx 3 paste is. Reports suggest a 4c drop though

Permabanned
Nice attitude mate. All I was saying is my bundle OC came with the same vcore and it didn't need to be that high, so you should look at reducing it. If you can't that's unfortunate but it was worth a try.

I use MX2 which is far superior to the generic stuff that is preapplied. Haven't used MX3 yet so can't judge how much improvement there is.

I use a 1.312vcore for 4.2 and temps are 77c to 80c on average, so still seems a little high.

No, it needs 1.312V for 4GHz and I'm already using MX2, OCUK shipped it at 1.3V and it wasnt stable. They did an outstanding job testing it. lol

Sorry if im coming off a little rude but OCUK have really annoyed me this week, other then the unstable system they sent me which runs at 80C plus the PSU was faulty and it's taking them 24 hours to respond to questions. nightmare.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it needs 1.312V for 4GHz and I'm already using MX2, OCUK shipped it at 1.3V and it wasnt stable. They did an outstanding job testing it. lol

Sorry if im coming off a little rude but OCUK have really annoyed me this week, other then the unstable system they sent me which runs at 80C plus the PSU was faulty and it's taking them 24 hours to respond to questions. nightmare.

No worries. I understand your frustration.

Soldato
Well I finally fitted my H50 to my new i7 920 that came yesterday. When I first installed it, I used MX-2 for pasting. Thinking it was enough. However when I turned on the machine and had installed Win 7, I hit Core Temp and it was idling at 40-45C. Which was high in my books. The CPU has been OC'd to 4GHz which is where I will be leaving it anyway. So I removed the paste and re-applied making sure I put enough on and when I turned on temps were between 38-43. so a bit better. But I think the ambient temp in my room had a part to play.

I say this because this morning I put the machine to see what temps were and they were between 33-38C across all four cores.

I am not going to be doing any benchmarking on this as it's to be used for video editing, encoding, watching DVDs, downloading, playing music and general use. The only one I benchmark on is my gaming machine.

I am using the rear fan of the Antec 902 plus a coolermaster fan in push/pull config with air going out the back. All in all quite a good cooler so far :D

Associate
CK61938, did you apply the paste to the base plate of the H50 or the actual i7 920, also how did you apply the paste, just a blob in the middle or a fine layer spreading out using stretched climfilm over your finger??

Soldato
CK61938, did you apply the paste to the base plate of the H50 or the actual i7 920, also how did you apply the paste, just a blob in the middle or a fine layer spreading out using stretched climfilm over your finger??

I applied the paste to both CPU and H50 and spread them out. Rather nice looking I have to say :D perhaps a bit overkill in some cases but it works for me.

Permabanned
Slightly better results today, not sure why but temps have definintely improved, ambient temp is about the same. :confused:

Oh well, I’m not complaining and I've got a pair of apache fans and mx3 on the way so hopefully they will help reduce it a few degrees.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got a brand new corsair H50 come this morning from parcel as it been replacement by counter screw issues problem. I gonna to try that out this weekend with MX-3.

Associate
Hmm, all this talk of high static pressure fans... I succumbed and have today taken delivery of a couple of Akasa Apache's to swap out with my Noctua P12's that I'm currently using.

Anyone else with these Apache's read the back of the box they come in?

OcUK are advertising these as having static pressure of 26.4mm H2O... whereas on the box it's 2.64mm H2O!

Still an improvement over my Noctua's but that slippery little decimal point makes quite some difference - suddenly it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade after all.

Anyone else made the same swap? Should I use them or send them back?

Back
Top Bottom