10-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Corsair James
user_offline.gif

Corsair Technical Marketing
POST ID # = 736511
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Official Response from Corsair
During development of the keyboard and prior to the release of the RGB keyboard, we came across an issue regarding the possible color combinations. In an effort to get the product out to our customers as committed, we made the tough decision to resolve the issue in a future software release as we believe our customers would enjoy the product as-is.

Here are the specifics that detail the issue:
Due to USB stack size and performance issues, we had to reduce MCU processing overhead in the best and quickest manner. The LED controller gives us greater than 8 bits of color depth but we use the 8 bits that give us what we believe to be the best color granularity. Our controller architecture provides for over 100 million color combinations out of which we select 16.8 million to display. We devised a color palette scheme to encode and compress the RGB color data and the data to select and control the “current sources” that drive the LED array. An unfortunate side effect is that it prevented us from utilizing the full color depth available from the LED controller.

We are in the process of making the necessary improvements so that we can send the uncompressed RGB data to the keyboard. Additionally, we are optimizing the data protocol and LED driver/display algorithms through the display control firmware to handle the uncompressed data, and to more efficiently program the “current sources” that drive the LED array. This should give our most “resourceful” customers an easy way to identify the data and be able to easily send standard RGB 8 bit values.​
This enhancement had already been planned and will be implemented in a few weeks by the release of a software update, which will be announced and be made available to download here and at Corsair.com.

- Corsair Team

Soldato
I ordered my K70 Brown along with the M65 mouse, can I have the keyboard dispatched separately as the mouse isn't available until January?

Associate
Started having some issues with my K70 RGB. Last couple of days when I first boot up my pc in the evening the pc gives a single long beep but boots up. Once windows loaded the keyboard does not work when I try typing anything.

I'm able to change lighting etc in the app so that sides working but not the keyboard. I reboot the pc and everything is working again. I've also noticed that sometimes on booting the keys all flash white briefly on device reset/initialise. (My default hardware profile is all lights off currently).

App/lighting quirks I can live with but if the keyboard doesn't work as a keyboard that's just annoying. Surprised there is no fallback option to a basic keyboard or something. Possibly a side effect of the firmware update fix to stop lights staying on on shutdown?

Will see how it goes over the next few days (could be effected by the cold?) and RMA if needed.

Associate
Started having some issues with my K70 RGB. Last couple of days when I first boot up my pc in the evening the pc gives a single long beep but boots up. Once windows loaded the keyboard does not work when I try typing anything.

I'm able to change lighting etc in the app so that sides working but not the keyboard. I reboot the pc and everything is working again. I've also noticed that sometimes on booting the keys all flash white briefly on device reset/initialise. (My default hardware profile is all lights off currently).

App/lighting quirks I can live with but if the keyboard doesn't work as a keyboard that's just annoying. Surprised there is no fallback option to a basic keyboard or something. Possibly a side effect of the firmware update fix to stop lights staying on on shutdown?

Will see how it goes over the next few days (could be effected by the cold?) and RMA if needed.

Just done some late night christmas shopping. Switched PC off before heading out, and back on when I got back. I'd saved a lights on profile to the device as a test...

...on power up, keyboard lights up with saved selection so seems to be initialising. When in windows... can't type again. :mad: Brightness button works, as do the multimedia keys - but nothing when typing. A reboot of pc and it's back working again. What on earth is going on? only started doing this last couple of days.... :confused:

Associate
K95 red switched sails logo'd edition. Yes please, thank you muchly!

Overclockers managed to get it to me just before christmas, so its a pressie to me. THANK YOUUUUUU

UK keyboard layout from the beginning, all the lights on and can be changed in the software... so maybe I missed the worst of it. Cool beans!

It is asking if I want to upgrade to Firmware 1.15 though - is this a good firmware or one with "issues" ?

Associate
K70 just arrived, great timing guys, something to play with over Christmas, already got a nice reactive white light setup.

Even had a pack of Haribo, now I really feel like part of the family!

Associate
Just an update so far.

After one day of using the keyboard and messing about with the hardware, my reactions are good. Build quality is awesome and the keys (MX Browns) feel great.

One thing that is annoying me is the whole Steam and Corsair software issue, it causes the keyboard to freeze. Best way so far I have got around it is to disable 'start on system startup' in the Corsair software and then load Corsairs abysmal software afterwards.

The software stinks of lazy programming (not normally the programmers fault due to time constraints), from reading the corsair forums its got a bad problem with the registry not dumping properly. The ability to store more than just one colour profile on the on board's memory would be nice, but no biggie. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I am using red keys, and regularly typing longish essays on them. why people say there no good for typing is beyond me there great

Back
Top Bottom