Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

You should not be washing your chicken just fyi.

ONLY because they claim it increases the risk of spreading bugs around the kitchen.

It has nothing at all to do with the chicken itself, so to speak.

Also, I would much rather wash out all that "preservatives" and crap supermarkets fill their meat with now days, than cook the chicken in the "juices" of that crap.

I'll stick to washing my chicken, thanks :)

The sainsburys taste the difference steak pie is actually pretty good when on sale, though we're talking good by supermarket standards. Your local farm shop will often do actually good ones though.

The sainsburys taste the difference steak pie is actually pretty good when on sale, though we're talking good by supermarket standards. Your local farm shop will often do actually good ones though.
The thing is there was a time when supermarket food was much better quality, its just years of "recipe changes" that has led to a race to the bottom.

But I suppose intermediate compromise just start buying more stuff direct not from supermarkets, pay more for it in some cases but get better quality. Farm shops are nice but usually require own transport and mobility means to get there and back. Although have managed to find someone local online which I started using during covid.

I had a look at the link posted earlier, it certainly at least looks like the quality is considerably better, but the delivery costs mean a high min spend, and I am a bit wary of the 24 hour transit keeping the food in an edible state.

I did quickly look at that link earlier and recall the same meat content as the sainsburys premium steak pie. Not saying it's the same quality, as likely isn't.

The frozen delivery stuff can be pretty decent as they come rammed with ice bags so don't let that put you off.

But ultimately i just go to the farmshop for a treat, just way too expensive otherwise. But same with the supermarket buys, i only buy if it's on sale. The cheap pies are just laughable.

People still pay rip off prices for kitchen towels? :cry:

Get yourself one of the massive blue rolls, cheaper and lasts for way longer.

We use these blue rolls at work for cleaning and if you did, currently do or never sprayed trolley handles at the sanitising stations at supermarkets etc - this is the stuff that customers use.

It’s too thin as a replacement for kitchen roll.

It’s too thin as a replacement for kitchen roll.

We use this at work, in a professional kitchen. It's fine for cleaning, wouldn't use it for lining the bread bin/salad drawers or anything though.

ONLY because they claim it increases the risk of spreading bugs around the kitchen.

Also, I would much rather wash out all that "preservatives" and crap supermarkets fill their meat with now days, than cook the chicken in the "juices" of that crap.

I'll stick to washing my chicken, thanks
:)

I mean, it absolutely increases the risk. It's not because "they" say, it's just obvious. If it has salmonella or similar on it, and you're splashing around onto food that will be eaten without cooking.

And you aren't washing **** out of a chicken unless you're using a pressure washer lmao.

Last edited:
We use this at work, in a professional kitchen. It's fine for cleaning, wouldn't use it for lining the bread bin/salad drawers or anything though.

I mean, it absolutely increases the risk. It's not because "they" say, it's just obvious. If it has salmonella or similar on it, and you're splashing around onto food that will be eaten without cooking.

And you aren't washing **** out of a chicken unless you're using a pressure washer lmao.

And if it doesn't have salmonella or similar on it, you are doing NO HARM AT ALL.

So stop acting like every single piece of chicken is a land mine and you need to treat it with kid gloves, it's frankly pathetic.

so in your professional kitchen you'd never wash a chicken piece ? (e: obv I mean hold it under a tap - not submerge it )
Even though I thought you'd normally do it in a separate sinks and always another sink to wash your hands in (as I do at home)
watched boiling point movie the other day where food safety reprimand them for washing hands in wrong sink.

Equally in a professional kitchen would you ever use blue paper on a workspace , without finally using a cloth with some detergent as a final clean
many people just use kitchen towel at home w/o detergent - ridiculous

Last edited:
And if it doesn't have salmonella or similar on it, you are doing NO HARM AT ALL.

So stop acting like every single piece of chicken is a land mine and you need to treat it with kid gloves, it's frankly pathetic.

Someone took it a little personally :cry:

Its about as "pathetic" as thinking washing chicken will "wash out all that preservatives and crap supermarkets fill their meat with now days" :cry:

Last edited:

I can't see the harm, but you'll wash the square root of sod all out the chicken doing this - the fillers / preservatives are injected into it, not plonked on the surface.

so in your professional kitchen you'd never wash a chicken piece ? (e: obv I mean hold it under a tap - not submerge it )
Even though I thought you'd normally do it in a separate sinks and always another sink to wash your hands in (as I do at home)
watched boiling point movie the other day where food safety reprimand them for washing hands in wrong sink.

Never wash chicken. Cooking it to the correct temp will kill any normal bacteria that's present. We have a separate food prep sink, a separate hand wash sink and separate clean up sinks. But only one food prep which is sanitised between uses.

Equally in a professional kitchen would you ever use blue paper on a workspace , without finally using a cloth with some detergent as a final clean
many people just use kitchen towel at home w/o detergent - ridiculous

Other way around, scrub with soap/water and a sponge, dry off with a cloth/towel. Then you spray with anti bac, leave for 30+ seconds and wipe down with blue roll. Being single use there's less chance of cross contamination than using a cloth.

Then why are washing it you melt? You can't wash out the largely harmless preserveatives that may have been injected into it.

Last edited:
Easter eggs spotted in shops yet ? :p
Seen Crème Eggs in a newsagent today as it was a parcel pick up. That is the earliest I have seen them. Normally we get them at work around a week before Christmas. Break down a board of delivery to put onto roll cages and I found them and waved a case in each hand and there were groans all colleagues on seeing them either in my hands or on the not dressed in (NDI) racking,

Doesn’t matter when Easter falls, get them that early. BTW next year it’s 31st March.

Never wash chicken. Cooking it to the correct temp will kill any normal bacteria that's present. We have a separate food prep sink, a separate hand wash sink and separate clean up sinks. But only one food prep which is sanitised between uses.

Other way around, scrub with soap/water and a sponge, dry off with a cloth/towel. Then you spray with anti bac, leave for 30+ seconds and wipe down with blue roll. Being single use there's less chance of cross contamination than using a cloth.

Then why are washing it you melt? You can't wash out the largely harmless preserveatives that may have been injected into it.

Using 3 seperate sinks and sanitizing between every single use... and you call other people a melt?

Take a look in the mirror you utterly pathetic melt.

I'm amazed you have an immune system at all

Last edited:
Using 3 seperate sinks and sanitizing between every single use... and you call other people a melt?

Ummm, you do realise that the person you are referring to is talking about his professional works kitchen... You know, that cooks and serves meals to paying customers and that the Food Standards Agency stipulate what they require... Right? :confused: :cry:

In the words of Scooby-Doo - Ruh-roh :cry:

Last edited:

I'm a professional chef, I don't do it at home genius. And yes, I'd rather not kill someone who's immunocompromised or has allergies etc.

You're the one losing your **** because I said you shouldn't wash your chicken, pathetic lol.

P.S. We have 4 separate sinks ;)

Last edited:
I did quickly look at that link earlier and recall the same meat content as the sainsburys premium steak pie. Not saying it's the same quality, as likely isn't.

The frozen delivery stuff can be pretty decent as they come rammed with ice bags so don't let that put you off.

But ultimately i just go to the farmshop for a treat, just way too expensive otherwise. But same with the supermarket buys, i only buy if it's on sale. The cheap pies are just laughable.
I remember a amazon (morissons) frozen delivery once which was wrapped in ice, was picked about 3-4 hours before came to me, the ice bags were water when arrived and the contents was well past defrosting. So that experience puts me off, considering these are not 4 hours but actually 24 hour deliveries, and they even have a FAQ telling you to ignore soggy boxes and what not.

I will probably try them before Christmas, just am wary.

Last edited:

Not worried about all the antibiotics the animals you eat are pumped with then?

Please tell us how water removes those preservatives.

Back
Top Bottom