Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Shrinkflation sits neatly between businesses' ability to change their products and trying to fool customers who having bought something for so long is unlikely to check things like weight regularly.

Considering pretty much all of the major brands are part of multinationals where much of the added value gets siphoned out of the country I can't help but feel that there's a valid argument to siding with the consumer by making it so the storefront is legally obliged to clearly inform the consumer that a product is undergoing £/kg inflation. With the new digital pricetags that are being installed to more directly control stock I think it should be easy enough.

Last edited:
I tend to turn off substitution - though a long time since I've shopped at Tesco but some of the others the substitutions were just ludicrous and mostly seemed to be trying to palm off the closest match, which usually wasn't close at all, out of whatever stock they had trouble shifting.
I also found when doing this at supermarkets that sub a lot, suddenly everything is in stock again, its as if they were doing subs to clear out stock that had low demand.

Anyone had a tub of quality streets this year?

Don’t bother is my advice, the sweets are about 1/3 smaller than they used to be. The ‘big purple one’ is an utter abomination of what it once was.

Nestle should hang their heads in shame and no I don’t care that Tesco still sell them for under £5, they are a total turd now and utterly ruined.

/Rant

Last edited:

Don’t bother is my advice, the sweets are about 1/3 smaller than they used to be. The ‘big purple one’ is an utter abomination of what it once was.

Nestle should hang their heads in shame and no I don’t care that Tesco still sell them for under £5, they are a total turd now and utterly ruined.

/Rant

I would rather they increased the price than do what they have done. I am tired of buying empty tins and jars that have one serving in them.

The old metal tubs, great bits box. Bet a few people still have them kicking about.

It's almost a meme how chocolate has always been number 1 shrinkflation.

Probably been good for my health.

Used to buy Toblerone until they decided to cut the 'pyramids' by half.

Haven't bought one since (I know they reversed the decision), apart from the Poundland version, tried a couple of those, not bad.

That, plus the decline in Cadbury quality since the yanks took over means I rarely buy chocolate any more.

Have noticed a block of butter that used to be 250g is now 200 plus the price has been upped. Also anyone notice a change in supermarket full fat milk? I'm pretty sure they pump more water into the milk now as it tastes a bit different and my espresso machine really struggles to froth up the milk for my coffees.

/Rant
That is disappointing surely there’s a market for people who wish to buy the original quality product and not the cheap and nasty derivatives.

Last edited:
Have noticed a block of butter that used to be 250g is now 200 plus the price has been upped. Also anyone notice a change in supermarket full fat milk? I'm pretty sure they pump more water into the milk now as it tastes a bit different and my espresso machine really struggles to froth up the milk for my coffees.
500g tub of flora (don’t ask, I did and was told that’s what we are getting this shop) is now 450g.

The tub looks exactly the same size until you open it and wondered where it had gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some food inflation again sometime into next year as the wheat harvest in this country has been pretty bad this year and we're ~20% down on usual.

Yeh, noticed that the other day, for the first time.

Picked up a block of Anchor butter, thought it seemed small, looked at the weight, yup, 200G, and an increase in price.

Let me guess, no repercussions for this, even though this is clearly a case of false advertising.

Well, Panorama airs tonight, be interesting to see if Aldi takes any action.

At the very least (IMO), the adverts should state that whilst there is a price match on items, the quality could be variable.

And I have to laugh at Tesco's response implying that their product is of better quality...yeh, having half or a third of chicken or beef is better.

Back
Top Bottom