Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Well, Panorama airs tonight, be interesting to see if Aldi takes any action.

At the very least (IMO), the adverts should state that whilst there is a price match on items, the quality could be variable.

And I have to laugh at Tesco's response implying that their product is of better quality...yeh, having half or a third of chicken or beef is better.

Quantity does not equal quality.

Just because Aldi's items may have more quantity does not mean it has higher quality.

They could be using 3x the amount of lips, ringpiece's and ears than Tesco, but that does not make it higher quality.

Last edited:
Just because Aldi's items may have more quantity does not mean it has higher quality.

They could be using 3x the amount of lips, ringpiece's and ears than Tesco, but that does not make it higher quality.

It's that Tesco uses cheap fillers rather than the lips and ears. Some of the comparisons. Simply put they are not like for like.
  • Tesco chicken kievs – 44% chicken; Aldi – 57%.
  • Tesco cottage pie – 18% beef; Aldi Inspired Cuisine cottage pie – 25%.
  • Tesco Hearty Food Co chicken nuggets – 39% chicken; Aldi Roosters chicken Nuggets – 60%.
  • Tesco Stockwell & Co chilli con carne – 15% beef; Aldi Bramwells chilli con carne – 27%.
  • Tesco No Added Sugar DS apple blackcurrant squash – 6% fruit juices from concentrate; Aldi Sun Quench Double Strength apple and blackcurrant squash – 20%.

It's that Tesco uses cheap fillers rather than the lips and ears. Some of the comparisons. Simply put they are not like for like.
  • Tesco chicken kievs – 44% chicken; Aldi – 57%.
  • Tesco cottage pie – 18% beef; Aldi Inspired Cuisine cottage pie – 25%.
  • Tesco Hearty Food Co chicken nuggets – 39% chicken; Aldi Roosters chicken Nuggets – 60%.
  • Tesco Stockwell & Co chilli con carne – 15% beef; Aldi Bramwells chilli con carne – 27%.
  • Tesco No Added Sugar DS apple blackcurrant squash – 6% fruit juices from concentrate; Aldi Sun Quench Double Strength apple and blackcurrant squash – 20%.

Again, those are all QUANTITIES, not proof of QUALITY.

In every single one of your examples there is zero evidence to show that Aldi are "better quality" only that they have greater quantity.

It is entirely possible (unlikely for sure, but possible) that Tesco are using less of higher quality ingredients, while Aldi are using "Quantity over Quality"

esco Hearty Food Co chicken nuggets – 39% chicken
How can they call it a chicken nugget if it's not even 50% chicken
They should call it a "bulk filler nugget" or " chicken flavoured water nugget"
Do the y shrink to 1/3 the size after cooking because it's mostly water, flour and starch?

The tub looks exactly the same size until you open it and wondered where it had gone.
The gov should add an excess packaging tax for any non-durable consumer goods. that's one climate initiative I could agree with.

It's basically a psychology scam and unethical

Last edited:
Guys no point arguing over whether Tesco or Aldi produce better food. They are both incredibly bad.

It’s a bit like arguing whether trash or rubbish smells the worst!

Guys no point arguing over whether Tesco or Aldi produce better food. They are both incredibly bad.

It’s a bit like arguing whether trash or rubbish smells the worst!

Nobody is arguing that.

Conflating quantity for quality is not remotely comparable.

Last edited:
The gov should add an excess packaging tax. that's one climate initiative I could agree with.

I have often said that in this day and age, it is utterly inexcusable that manufacturers (and supermarkets especially) still sell so many products in non-recyclable packaging.

Sure there are certain food stuffs / circumstances in which you may need a type of packaging that is not recyclable, but in the vast majority of cases that is not the issue.

Sadly in the world we live in, any increased cost imposed by recyclable packaging would simply be passed onto the customer resulting in our weekly shop being more expensive, rather than the profit margins of manufacturers / supermarkets being reduced.

Last edited:
so what's your tierlist?
M&S
WAITROSE
Morrisons/tesco/aldi/sainsbury
Iceland/asda

I'm not sure if M&S sell chicken nuggets though :D the freezer section isn't very large

Actually very reasonably priced compared to other supermarkets for veg etc btw
only the ready meals seem expensive, but they are high quality and often list ingredients the cheaper brands avoid.

M&S coleslaw is amazing, the "luxury" ones from morrisons etc remind me of wax
I got kinda addicted to M&S frozen bubble and squeaks too, IDK why they aren't even that great in taste, they probably put crack in them

Last edited:
Aldi make loads of good food products and anyone arguing this point needs to get their head out their arse. I eat tons from all the posh supermarkets too, and whilst not everything at Aldi matches up, a lot of it does.

Food elitism, have you ever :cry:

so what's your tierlist?
M&S
WAITROSE
Morrisons/tesco/aldi/sainsbury
Iceland/asda

I'm not sure if M&S sell chicken nuggets though :D the freezer section isn't very large

Actually very reasonably priced compared to other supermarkets for veg etc btw
only the ready meals seem expensive, but they are high quality and often list ingredients the cheaper brands avoid.

M&S coleslaw is amazing, the "luxury" ones from morrisons etc remind me of wax
I got kinda addicted to M&S frozen bubble and squeaks too, IDK why they aren't even that great in taste, they probably put crack in them
As you asked :D

M/S
Waitrose

Sainsbury

Tescos/Morrisons

Asda

Iceland

Aldi/Lidl

Last edited:
Nobody is arguing that.

Conflating quantity for quality is not remotely comparable.
There is another spanner in the works here.

39% chicken can be greater than 60% chicken.

So when a food manufacturer gives a % of meat only half of that has to be actual good quality meat as we’d know it be it breast or chicken thigh.

The other half can be fat/skin etc.

So 39% chicken which is all muscle meat is has more actual chicken than 60% chicken which is half chicken and half fat.

Last edited:
I have often said that in this day and age, it is utterly inexcusable that manufacturers (and supermarkets especially) still sell so many products in non-recyclable packaging.

Sure there are certain food stuffs / circumstances in which you may need a type of packaging that is not recyclable, but in the vast majority of cases that is not the issue.

Sadly in the world we live in, any increased cost imposed by recyclable packaging would simply be passed onto the customer resulting in our weekly shop being more expensive, rather than the profit margins of manufacturers / supermarkets being reduced.
What do you consider to be non-recyclable?

There isn’t anything in my weekly shop that doesn’t come in packaging that isn’t recyclable or compostable and I don’t go out of my way to shop in some organic health food shop, it all comes from Tesco.

Before you say soft plastic (usually bags and films) are not recyclable, they absolutely are, your council just doesn’t want to collect them because it’s not a statutory requirement. They can and we do take them all back to Tesco where the recycling point is.

It’s surprising how much soft plastic we take back (not all is from food shopping mind) but it’s all recyclable.

Glass bottles and tetra packs go back to the shop also.

Our landfill bin is tiny and I regularly forget to put it out but it doesn’t matter because we hardly put anything in it these days.

Glass bottles and tetra packs go back to the shop also.
didn't their used to be bottle banks and stuff in carparks back in the 90s?

I never see them anymore.

also our countries litter bins are crap.

In switzerland these seemed to be everywhere
24q7jJD.png

Rubbish, Pet plastic, aluminium and paper going into different bins so they are easily recycled.

Aso every kanton seemed to have a recycling station with a different underground storage tank for pretty much every material that can possibly be recycled.
xKgSSOC.png

The UK is not even trying unless its ways to generate money

Last edited:
didn't their used to be bottle banks and stuff in carparks back in the 90s?

I never see them anymore.

also our countries litter bins are crap.

In switzerland these seemed to be everywhere

Rubbish, Pet plastic, aluminium and paper going into different bins so they are easily recycled.

The UK is not even trying unless its ways to generate money
The irony is material recovery companies will pay more for pre-sorted recycling than mixed recycling.

Edit: we can’t have our cake and eat it though, people kick off if you suggest they need more bins. Remember 10 bins Rishi?

Last edited:
we can’t have our cake and eat it though, people kick off if you suggest they need more bins. Remember 10 bins Rishi?
yea because its ridiculous to expect households to have multiple bins.

but having a location where you can drop off all your recycles close by makes sense.

The gov just want to push everything at an individual level and not really take any responsibility at a council level.

adding 1 extra bin per household adds 28.4million extra plastic bins... not exactly green is it

how many tonnes of plastic and c02 is that? must be a hell of a lot

Last edited:
yea because its ridiculous to expect households to have multiple bins.

but having a location where you can drop off all your recycles close by makes sense.

The gov just want to push everything at an individual level and not really take any responsibility at a council level.

adding 1 extra bin per household adds 28.4million extra plastic bins... not exactly green is it

how many tonnes of plastic and c02 is that? must be a hell of a lot
Do you honestly think people would kick off less if they had to walk their rubbish 30m up the road versus having an extra bin. Clearly you don’t get off OCUK much if you think that’s the case.

Not to mention those rubbish collection sites will be an utter disaster zone of filth and who knows what else that’s been fly tipped.

Given we don’t have any land allocated to rubbish collection sites, it probably means concreting over planting to create them, not very green is it?

Refillables is the ideal answer. Less energy than used on recycling. We still have pick n mix where kids hands that have been god knows where go in to, so the hygiene argument is a little weak.

E: also fresh produce waste supermarkets and consumers are terrible for, so the change in how we shop really needs to be addressed regardless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom