Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Do you honestly think people would kick off less if they had to walk their rubbish 30m up the road versus having an extra bin
They don't "have to" though do they and lets face it most areas aren't even a 30minute walk across, so it's more likely to be 10 minutes.
more people will recycle with easier feasible options available

They don't "have to" though do they and lets face it most areas aren't even a 30minute walk across, so it's more likely to be 10 minutes.
more people will recycle with easier feasible options available
Minutes? I was referring to meters :p

Seriously, if you put a consultation out where about centralised waste collection, they’ll be outrage. Some people are outraged because they have to move the bin from their property to the curb. They are also aggrieved that they have to do mixed recycling now.

Can you imagine how aggrieved they’ll be that they will not only have to separate and store their paper, plastics, metal, bottles separately, they’ll also have to walk 30-100 meters to deposit them every day or two because they’ll not have a convenient council bin on their property they can dump it all in that someone collects from the edge of their property.

Think about it for 30 seconds and come back….

People don't have to though, it's not like the council are going to check the bins.

I guess your right though and we are too far gone for it to work here.

In Switzerland I guess it makes sense because binbags are all sold by the council with branding on for that city.
so it's kinda like a lazy tax in a way that encourages people to put less stuff in the regular rubbish

Just saw that supermarket episode of Panorama. I was shocked. I haven't eaten processed stuff like that which was shown on the programme but christ those nuggets looked awful. Are Birds Eye junk like that? I remember trying Birds Eye Chicken Burgers last year (the ones covered in rice crispies) and it had a lot of gristle in it.

My local shops are Sainsburys and Lidl though I avoid the latter whenever I can as I tend to stick to clean foods and 90% of their range is 'rubbish' to me with little variation. Sainsburys I find very expensive compared to my old shop at Waitrose but I find what I need with Sainsburys - Rolled Oats, decent Slamon and chicken breasts, various seeds and powdered peanut butter for instance. Nectar card helps me gain some money as the stuff I frequently buy turns up on the app as weekly bonuses that give me points.

- Rolled Oats, decent Slamon and chicken breasts, various seeds and powdered peanut butter for instance. Nectar card helps me gain some money as the stuff I frequently buy turns up on the app as weekly bonuses that give me points.

Smart shop you can get decent discounts btw, better than the points. I was never a fan of LIDL but i've warmed to it quite a bit now. They do seed bags which are good enough and cheaper. Their premium ground coffee, jam, and basics like eggs and salt, also frozen fruit, etc come in cheaper also and are good enough. Give it another look.

Seen an article that has finally caught on to what the supermarkets are doing.

It compares Tesco price matched goods to Aldi, Tesco seemingly achieving it by reducing the % of the primary ingredient, a stealth form of shrinkflation.

• Wow
Reactions: SPG
Just saw that supermarket episode of Panorama. I was shocked. I haven't eaten processed stuff like that which was shown on the programme but christ those nuggets looked awful. Are Birds Eye junk like that? I remember trying Birds Eye Chicken Burgers last year (the ones covered in rice crispies) and it had a lot of gristle in it.

My local shops are Sainsburys and Lidl though I avoid the latter whenever I can as I tend to stick to clean foods and 90% of their range is 'rubbish' to me with little variation. Sainsburys I find very expensive compared to my old shop at Waitrose but I find what I need with Sainsburys - Rolled Oats, decent Slamon and chicken breasts, various seeds and powdered peanut butter for instance. Nectar card helps me gain some money as the stuff I frequently buy turns up on the app as weekly bonuses that give me points.
The frozen fish from youngs shows a nice padded fish on the box, but they all really flat with much lower levels of filling.

The frozen fish from youngs shows a nice padded fish on the box, but they all really flat with much lower levels of filling.
I used to buy their Cod and Basa breaded fillets pre-covid and they were really enjoyable. Post covid I completely stopped because the fillets were flat as you mentioned and the weight difference was massive. Never touched it again. Even Youngs Scampi has dropped in weight.

Frijj's are now 330ml. About 15 years ago they were 500ml, then 430ml, and now 330ml. I feel like a giant when I hold a Frijj bottle because my perception of them is based on the size they were when I was a kid.

There is no such thing as quality in processed food.

Processed foods are generally less nutritious than fresh or whole foods, but there is still a range of quality within the processed options. Some of them still have a reasonable nutritional profile and can be part of a healthy diet, while others, even within the same category, are terrible.

We have extra bins here now.
It is a bit of a hassle in a smaller house.
We have to separate
-glass
-paper/card
-metal/tetra/plastic
-food
-landfill

You go round the estate and there's so much wrong in people's sorting. Or heavily soiled food containers. I bet loads ends up in landfill.

I have one recycling bin and every week I empty the bin piece by piece into the bags.
It takes to too much space to have 5 indoor bins for 3xrecycling 1xfood and 1xlandfill

The bags are floppy which is annoying as the bin men chuck them on floor and if it's rains they get dirty. So they have to stay outdoors. I bought a hard plastic cheap storage thing for them.

Do also take the other plastics (crisp packets, etc) to supermarket. Most of this is plastic packaging that comes from buying stuff online that gets delivered. Ie plastic bags clothes come in.

I do prefer bins to supermarkets though. As it's very rare I go to one and the rubbish builds up.

I do wish more would come in paper. Why can't mail. Order clothes comes in paper? Some multi pack crisps are now in paper too.

Last edited:
At least you have a bin for recycling. :)

Here we get given small bags, and since I started recycling I notice 70% or so of my waste is recyclable stuff, and squishing stuff into those bags can be really awkrawd.

I give my shopping bags back to delivery driver every week, I notice often thick cardboard is used for stuff that can be thinner, very hard to break down and stuff in these tiny bags, Amazon shipping small things in cardboard boxes 4x the size then filling the rest with paper.

At least you have a bin for recycling. :)

Here we get given small bags, and since I started recycling I notice 70% or so of my waste is recyclable stuff, and squishing stuff into those bags can be really awkrawd.

I give my shopping bags back to delivery driver every week, I notice often thick cardboard is used for stuff that can be thinner, very hard to break down and stuff in these tiny bags, Amazon shipping small things in cardboard boxes 4x the size then filling the rest with paper.

I'd say my bags are 50cm*50*50 maybe 60.

I find the cardboard one fills up most as (finally) most deliveries are now in cardboard.

Black bin is every 2 weeks and we usually have room to spare. Which at least shows progress

We don't have much food waste as chickens eat a chunk of that

Last edited:
Processed foods are generally less nutritious than fresh or whole foods, but there is still a range of quality within the processed options. Some of them still have a reasonable nutritional profile and can be part of a healthy diet, while others, even within the same category, are terrible.

I worked in processed food for 15 years. From Pizza's, Lasagne's to Salads and Cakes and they are all rubbish. Some things I could say would put you off for life.

It is not just the ingredients but the chemicals involved to increase shelf life etc.

I worked in processed food for 15 years. From Pizza's, Lasagne's to Salads and Cakes and they are all rubbish. Some things I could say would put you off for life.

It is not just the ingredients but the chemicals involved to increase shelf life etc.

That's great and all, but it still doesn't prove that there's "no such thing as quality in processed food".

I used to work with a chap who spent a couple of years working in a meat processing plant, producing bacon and sausages, amongst other things.

He said what he saw in there put him off eating them for quite a few years after he left.

Reminds me of my brother who worked for two weeks (lol) temping at a food plant.
His job was to monitor viewing plates in a ginormous metal tube, the end of which pooped out sausage meat.
He spotted some green goo in one of the portholes, stopped the process, ran to his supervisor and told him of the green gunk he spotted.
He was told not to worry about it, it would all get mashed up at the end, and told to turn the gubbins back on.

That's great and all, but it still doesn't prove that there's "no such thing as quality in processed food".

M&S and Waitrose for example do use better ingredients but you still get all the stabilizers, sugar and other chemicals in them to allow them to last longer on the shelf. A lot of which isn't really good for you. Just because they are up market they are still in the profit making business and food needs to last as long as possible.

Even a super duper M&S or Waitrose Lasagna will never be half the quality of a good home made version. You do not even have to be a good cook. Alexa or Google can basically do it all for you.

Even a super duper M&S or Waitrose Lasagna will never be half the quality of a good home made version.

Well that much is obvious and not something anyone has argued against.

Even fresh and whole foods have a massive variance in quality, hygiene and chemicals. Though for the most part will be better than eating anything processed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom