Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

I worked in processed food for 15 years. From Pizza's, Lasagne's to Salads and Cakes and they are all rubbish. Some things I could say would put you off for life.

It is not just the ingredients but the chemicals involved to increase shelf life etc.
Big food manufacturer starting with the letter B?

We have extra bins here now.
It is a bit of a hassle in a smaller house.
We have to separate
-glass
-paper/card
-metal/tetra/plastic
-food
-landfill

You go round the estate and there's so much wrong in people's sorting. Or heavily soiled food containers. I bet loads ends up in landfill.

I have one recycling bin and every week I empty the bin piece by piece into the bags.
It takes to too much space to have 5 indoor bins for 3xrecycling 1xfood and 1xlandfill

The bags are floppy which is annoying as the bin men chuck them on floor and if it's rains they get dirty. So they have to stay outdoors. I bought a hard plastic cheap storage thing for them.

Do also take the other plastics (crisp packets, etc) to supermarket. Most of this is plastic packaging that comes from buying stuff online that gets delivered. Ie plastic bags clothes come in.

I do prefer bins to supermarkets though. As it's very rare I go to one and the rubbish builds up.

I do wish more would come in paper. Why can't mail. Order clothes comes in paper? Some multi pack crisps are now in paper too.

I hear you on this. They are a pain.

Seen an article that has finally caught on to what the supermarkets are doing.

It compares Tesco price matched goods to Aldi, Tesco seemingly achieving it by reducing the % of the primary ingredient, a stealth form of shrinkflation.

It was discussed briefly a few pages back, tesco being the only one doing it.
Post in thread 'Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate' https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...up-at-an-alarming-rate.18964758/post-37376311

That would have been pretty bad as singletons already have it tough.

It did seem odd, especially given that some elderly would suffer a double wammy with their fuel payment going.

Regarding the processing of food, bread seems to get a free pass despite its heavy processed nature. White bread is definitely one of the most crappy foods out there. I'd argue that the better ready meals contain far less rubbish that the bread. Though it really depends on meat type and type of meal to some extent, eg bacon with nitrites etc

Back
Top Bottom