COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

I find it interesting how some people seem to get it frequently and others it barely touches - as above if it wasn't for the fact they've either had 1-2 days at work clearly showing signs of an infection and/or when they come back they've obviously got things you can't make up lik a rough throat still and/or looking haggard, etc. I'd think they were trying it on.

I guess life style, attitude, social connections and genetics and so on play a huge part though in why it is so often the same ~90% of people in each outbreak at work.

There was recent news that 10% of the population seem to have a mutation on the gene HLA B 1501, which greatly increases their likelihood of asymptomatic infections that clear up extremely quickly (so likely to not cause much damage at all to them either). Apparently, this gene triggers the immune system to respond extremely quickly to coronaviruses, and is activated by any previous coronavirus exposure (including the common cold ones).

Perhaps these are your superdodgers? I sure hope I have it!

Sadly it is not an SNP so can't just be tested for through the regular services. Ho-hum.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how some people seem to get it frequently and others it barely touches - as above if it wasn't for the fact they've either had 1-2 days at work clearly showing signs of an infection and/or when they come back they've obviously got things you can't make up lik a rough throat still and/or looking haggard, etc. I'd think they were trying it on.

I guess life style, attitude, social connections and genetics and so on play a huge part though in why it is so often the same ~90% of people in each outbreak at work.
I found it interesting a conference we had few thousand of us go a couple of months ago and also an off site meeting last month with about 50 people there was a lot of covid cases. What was interesting was that there were zero cases with the people I regularly see at the office. I have wondered if regular exposure to small amounts of it has built up a sterilising immunity to most variants.

No, because you don't get colds this frequently either, lol.
Pretty sure 4 cold a year is quite common.

Babies, toddlers, and preschoolers get about seven to eight colds a year. And during school age, they average five to six colds a year. Teenagers finally reach an adult level of four colds a year. And in addition to colds, children get the lovely diarrhea illnesses, with or without vomiting, two to three times a yea

Last edited:
Pretty sure 4 cold a year is quite common.

Some people do, especially if parents, regular colds in kids is not uncommon. But it is less common in the adult population and less common to have it go around that often in the workplace. Historically we'd get 1 outbreak in November and one around the end of Jan at work - though not always getting the same people - very rarely 3 times. We've had at least 4 out breaks of COVID since relaxing almost all measures early this year - with many of the same people having it twice or more - despite the official percentage still being IIRC single digit percentages.

Some people do, especially if parents, regular colds in kids is not uncommon. But it is less common in the adult population and less common to have it go around that often in the workplace. Historically we'd get 1 outbreak in November and one around the end of Jan at work - though not always getting the same people - very rarely 3 times. We've had at least 4 out breaks of COVID since relaxing almost all measures early this year - with many of the same people having it twice or more - despite the official percentage still being IIRC single digit percentages.

Perfectly normal

Children have about 6 to 10 colds a year. One important reason why colds are so common in children is because they are often in close contact with each other in daycare centers and schools. In families with children in school, the number of colds per child can be as high as 12 a year. Adults average about 2 to 4 colds a year, although the range varies widely. Women, especially those aged 20 to 30 years, have more colds than men, possibly because of their closer contact with children. On average, people older than age 60 have fewer than one cold a year.

Last edited:
Perfectly normal

That isn't what the article says.

EDIT: End of the day though I've not seen a situation like this where we have had people off from approx. March to June/July with repetitive infections of this kind of nature and we've not even got into the season for it yet.

Last edited:
That isn't what the article says.

EDIT: End of the day though I've not seen a situation like this where we have had people off from approx. March to June/July with repetitive infections of this kind of nature and we've not even got into the season for it yet.
It says average 2-4 ?

I've never known colds putting people in a hospital bed, influenza and pneumonia yes.

Yeah, I didn't want to state the obvious, but he really wants to dig his heels in.

1.) Children gets colds a LOT as their immune system is developing, and they do a lot of extremely close contact mixing, it is far less likely to happen in adults.
2.) This is not a common cold. Nobody gets illnesses as serious as the flu 4x a year, not even close.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't want to state the obvious, but he really wants to dig his heels in.

1.) Children gets colds a LOT as their immune system is developing, and they do a lot of extremely close contact mixing, it is far less likely to happen in adults.
2.) This is not a common cold. Nobody gets illnesses as serious as the flu 4x a year, not even close.

I normally get 3 to 4 colds a year but since March 2020 I haven't had one because of how careful everybody has been.
The twice I have had Covid my symptoms were way less than a cold so very lucky and I 100% know the 3 jabs were responsible for that.

Lab, you are throwing out some wildly bad faith takes today.

Next you'll probably tell me that covid presents cold symptoms to most people, so it is a cold, right? Never mind that it's practically unheard of for colds to result in long haul symptoms or permanent neurological/heart damage in a healthy population.

Last edited:

Next you'll probably tell me that covid presents cold symptoms to most people, so it is a cold, right? Never mind that it's practically unheard of for colds to result in long haul symptoms or permanent neurological/heart damage.

He saw a video on Facebook

Sadly enough today I have learned the fate of somebody I blocked in 2020.
His business was suffering and because he knew I worked closely with Covid patients in a Legal way he kept sending me conspiracy theory videos.
In the end I told him to do one and blocked him.
I then heard rumours in January that he had told a band mate he wouldn't go on stage with him until he'd had a PCR test but I thought it was rubbish because of the stuff he had sent me.
It turns out he had lost both his Mum and Dad to this cold in 2021.

His business was suffering and because he knew I worked closely with Covid patients in a Legal way he kept sending me conspiracy theory videos.
I then heard rumours in January that he had told a band mate he wouldn't go on stage with him until he'd had a PCR test but I thought it was rubbish because of the stuff he had sent me.

Has he come around or still in denial about it?

Has he come around or still in denial about it?

To ask his bass player to have a PCR test means he now knows.
I've known around 10 people go through the conspiracy theory stuff and then lose somebody, one mate (conspiracy theorist) witnessed his Mum start a cough and the following evening she was RIP.
At least none of them claimed the NHS had killed them to make numbers up but I have had cases like that.
The most recent is a relative who wouldn't let the hospital take their Mothers body out of the Mortuary for 14 months because they didn't believe she died of Covid.

Next you'll probably tell me that covid presents cold symptoms to most people, so it is a cold, right? Never mind that it's practically unheard of for colds to result in long haul symptoms or permanent neurological/heart damage in a healthy population.

well i was unaware of any of
that.

Last edited:

never been on fb

Feel bit ruff today after jab on Friday could just be a coincidence though. Previous 3 were Pfizer this was new Moderna
Had a bloody filling fall out today too was iit because of the jab :cry:

Back
Top Bottom