COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

That was then pretty sure today's COVID is a different beast.

Back then and being in the job I'm in, Covid was an absolute killer and responsible for 1000s of deaths a week, it's now that Covid is acting more like a cold (even though we are getting hospital admissions and some deaths which you don't get with colds).
Perhaps I've read you wrong but it sounds like 'back then' you thought it was more like a cold but it's different now?

This one has bizarre symptoms beyond the hacking cough, temperature and head generally feeling stoved in and filled with playdoh.

Both me and the OH have had small areas behind our backs at rib level feel ultra sensitive, as if it's been burned. No marks or anything. Very odd.

In terms of causing long haul issues, it is overall down on a per-person basis because of vaccines these days. However, Omicron makes up for it by being so bloody infectious that it hit nearly everyone and can keep doing it pretty much forever, right now.

Which is much worse given enough time.
Not if the illness is mild, had it twice this year and I got a stuffy nose.

Back then and being in the job I'm in, Covid was an absolute killer and responsible for 1000s of deaths a week, it's now that Covid is acting more like a cold (even though we are getting hospital admissions and some deaths which you don't get with colds).
Perhaps I've read you wrong but it sounds like 'back then' you thought it was more like a cold but it's different now?
No it was dangerous but now not so much to 99% of the population

They're not fit for purpose.
At Christmas both me and the wife took 8 LTFs each and all negative, went for a PCR and it was positive, as soon as we got the result we did an LTF each and both were negative.

Same happened again with me about 3 months ago, negative on 4x LTFs, work did a PCR and it was positive, did another LTF and it was negative.
I’ve found LFT tests to be extremely reliable, at least the flexflow ones.

That was then pretty sure today's COVID is a different beast.

Personally I think it a mix of reasons - the main variants in circulation currently are very different to older ones, vaccines will be providing some protection but in my opinion by and large I think a lot of the people most susceptible to COVID have either died from it or recovered with at least for now some degree of infection conferred immunity. (Largely I'm talking UK here as the rest of the world is going through varying different stages with varying levels of healthcare, demographics, etc.).

We've had ~170K deaths spread out over nearly 3 years rather clustered around the initial outbreak and managed to slow the progress of it enough for medical advances to catch up likely saving at least as many lives again due to being able to treat people better, earlier.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a doozy today. Head in a vice clamp, temperature, sore throat like I've not had since glandular fever/tonisilits, hacking cough....

Like I said before, it's not the chance of death aspect of it that bothers me it's the potential for long term fatigue. Just have to see how it plays out.

Edit: Tested positive on LFT.

Throat on fire and nose running like a pro athlete biggest symptoms have been replaced by massive mental/physical fatigue and increasingly uncomfortable upper airways, seven days after this episode began.

Typical for recent variants?

Feeling nothing like ready to return to work yet.

Last edited:
Throat on fire and nose running like a pro athlete biggest symptoms have been replaced by massive mental/physical fatigue and increasingly uncomfortable upper airways, seven days after this episode began.

Have you tested for COVID?

Something is going around - though most people have it very mildly - my aunt and uncle in the south east picked it up from a care home during the week, pretty much same symptoms as I've had but a little worse, and they've done PCR tests at the care home negative for COVID. My uncle is over the worst of it but struggling with getting back to 100% like I am while the rest of the family are still dealing with the main symptoms.

I'm still not back to 100% - last night after about 4 hours at work, initially felt fine, was getting hit by brain fog and mild fatigue and back of my nose is still slightly meh.

I'm hazarding still a lot of it is down to people not having had a cold for like 3 years.

Have you tested for COVID?

Something is going around - though most people have it very mildly - my aunt and uncle in the south east picked it up from a care home during the week, pretty much same symptoms as I've had but a little worse, and they've done PCR tests at the care home negative for COVID. My uncle is over the worst of it but struggling with getting back to 100% like I am while the rest of the family are still dealing with the main symptoms.

I'm still not back to 100% - last night after about 4 hours at work, initially felt fine, was getting hit by brain fog and mild fatigue and back of my nose is still slightly meh.

I'm hazarding still a lot of it is down to people not having had a cold for like 3 years.
Yes, I tested positive on Saturday on a LFT (for the first time ever, although we had it at least once before right at the start in late March '20).

What quite possibly hasn't helped my situation is initial symptoms began overnight last Monday on the first night of holiday, with what I thought was simply the start of a sore throat. On Tuesday morning I then went for a 1hr45min cycle including three intervals of 12-16mins at close to threshold heart rate. From then on I scaled back duration and intensity for the rest of the hol and since coming home.

But it didn't really cross my mind I could have COVID until Saturday morning, didn't take LFTs on hol, instant positive on first one back home and better half positive when she tested on Sunday (and now feeling really rough with it on top of her 2+ year long COVID).

I had something in late July for two weeks, didn't test positive, but I was in a similar state then. Had what was thought to be proper flu, again negative from numerous tests, for three weeks almost a year ago to the day.

It sounds typical for my recent bout, about 10 days then start to feel better.

Fever? Temperature? Could be regular flu there was a bad season for it last winter down under glad I had a jab even if had to pay for it

Last edited:
Think I've joined the club.

Temperature
Aches
Head aches.

Really not that bad. If you cant afford heating maybe try this?

About 6 or 7 hours in. Probs be fine tomorrow

Think I've joined the club.

Temperature
Aches
Head aches.

Really not that bad. If you cant afford heating maybe try this?

About 6 or 7 hours in. Probs be fine tomorrow
Hopefully so.

It's still knocking me for six, I'm about two or three days behind the OH by the looks of things. Symptoms change day to day. Cough has gone just temperature and exploding sinuses - yummy!

Back
Top Bottom