COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Meat market in December, must maintain the narrative!

If there was 2 variants in Wuhan IMO, along with the patterns we've seen so far, then it almost certainly started somewhere else at least a month probably more like 2-3 before that. It would make sense to me the Chinese were aware of the nastier of those 2 strains early on, possibly being the original strain, which fortunately hasn't become the dominant strain, and have based much of their response around that - despite it having gone virtually extinct by the end of 2020. Which opens up a lot of questions.

My god, the requirements regarding what you are supposed to do these days if you still feel unfit to return to work after sevens days off with Covid, is as clear as mud!

NHS self isolation notes cover you for 11 days including the day you test positive, if you still feel unwell you can get a repeat self isolation note for another 11 days, GP surgeries don't want anything to do with Covid sick notes but your employer can demand a sick note signed off by a medical professional if you are still off work on day8+.

The lack of clarity is a nightmare, especially when you are exhausted and full of brain fog!!!

My god, the requirements regarding what you are supposed to do these days if you still feel unfit to return to work after sevens days off with Covid, is as clear as mud!

NHS self isolation notes cover you for 11 days including the day you test positive, if you still feel unwell you can get a repeat self isolation note for another 11 days, GP surgeries don't want anything to do with Covid sick notes but your employer can demand a sick note signed off by a medical professional if you are still off work on day8+.

The lack of clarity is a nightmare, especially when you are exhausted and full of brain fog!!!

I had if a few weeks ago and it all seemed pretty clear to me:

If you have COVID-19, you can pass on the virus to other people for up to 10 days from when your infection starts. Many people will no longer be infectious to others after 5 days.

You should:

• try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days
  • avoiding meeting people at higher risk from COVID-19 for 10 days, especially if their immune system means they’re at higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19, even if they’ve had a COVID-19 vaccine
This starts from the day after you did the test.

I stayed in for 10 days apart from outdoor activities like watching my son playing football (away from everyone else and drove in my own car separately to my partner).

Last edited:
People are starting to realise that there is much more to COVID than hospitalisation and death:

This is all very unfortunate, but if the medical community had not been so dismissive over many decades of post-viral conditions (that predominantly affect women as we see with Long COVID) then I'm sure our understanding would have been much further along, including on tests and treatments. The silver lining is our understanding of such conditions is now likely to take a quantum leap forward.

Last edited:
We are still doing the ONS testing trial. Still getting paid for it. Thought it would be winding down but no sign yet.
I'm glad it's not because we need our eyes wide open. Once we get through this winter I hope things will improve, but we should not stop being vigilant merely because it's politically convenient.

Last edited:
Is it just me who was able to work out which of our friends/acquaintances (even some people here) that would definitely end up with 'long covid' before they actually contracted covid? The same people who you knew would need a week off after having each of the vaccinations. Not saying that long covid isn't a real thing, but I don't think it's as common as we are led to believe.

Last edited:
Is it just me who was able to work out which of our friends/acquaintances (even some people here) that would definitely end up with 'long covid' before they actually contracted covid? The same people who you knew would need a week off after having each of the vaccinations. Not saying that long covid isn't a real thing, but I don't think it's as common as we are led to believe.

Sadly for many this is the new bad back, near impossible to call as a scam, but very unfair on those who are genuinely suffering long term effects.

It's common enough that governments are now worried about it and particularly the impact on the economy which will be long term and probably much more damaging over time than the acute illness if it's not sorted out. I'm certainly concerned about it.

Sadly for many this is the new bad back, near impossible to call as a scam, but very unfair on those who are genuinely suffering long term effects.
Sure, because previously fit and healthy people want to put themselves into financial hardship in the middle of a cost of living crisis. It's no fun being chronically ill in your home doing nothing or struggling and failing to do what you were doing before, but somehow people think it's a luxurious lifestyle choice.

Last edited:
Sure, because previously fit and healthy people want to put themselves into financial hardship in the middle of a cost of living crisis. It's no fun being chronically ill in your home doing nothing or struggling and failing to do what you were doing before, but somehow people think it's a luxurious lifestyle choice.
Unfortunately there will always be people who don't believe something until it affects them personally.

Though long COVID doesn't seem to have hit anyone much I know to the extent it is sometimes talked about - definitely been a few people who've taken weeks or months to get back to 100% post COVID. For instance one of the managers at work was very driven, pro-active, couldn't understand why people wouldn't put in as much extra effort at work as they were, ran marathons, etc. post COVID, especially the 2nd bout they had, for 3-4 months they were very reactive to management, tried to avoid getting involved with anything at work they didn't have to, you'd have to ask them twice to get stuff done when before they'd have been on top of it and asking why other people weren't, just doing 10K steps a day was a major achievement never mind running a marathon.

Long Covid is just the new name for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which has always been known about, but downplayed in the medical and wider communities because the symptoms aren't visible. Mononucleosis infections are one of the biggest causes of it, and it seems COVID is now as well.

The difference is most people only get Mono once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom