COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

What's the deal for people who want a vaccine but aren't currently elegible? Tried looking for UK gov plans but I guess they're focused on how much public money they can shovel off to their mates under the guise of COVID necessity.

Do vaccines still help fight off extreme COVID after more than 6 months?
If they enough supply maybe they'll let people pay for it like you can with the flu jab. Are other countries giving people under 50 a 4th booster?

What's the deal for people who want a vaccine but aren't currently elegible? Tried looking for UK gov plans but I guess they're focused on how much public money they can shovel off to their mates under the guise of COVID necessity.

Drop in centres that will give you jabs no appointment necessary there was one at the local library a few weeks back they don't tend to advertise them in advance though at least I havn't noticed. Govt plan is work through the age groups starting with elderly and at risk and then work their way downwards they're currently at 50-64 age group as from 20th october iirc I booked mine the day it became available and the earliest local appointment was 3 weeks later i.e. next monday

Last edited:
Drop in centres that will give you jabs no appointment necessary there was one at the local library a few weeks back they don't tend to advertise them in advance though at least I havn't noticed. Govt plan is work through the age groups starting with elderly and at risk and then work their way downwards they're currently at 50-64 age group as from 20th october iirc I booked mine the day it became available and the earliest local appointment was 3 weeks later i.e. next monday

Walk in centres around my way at least don't seem that useful - often no one there or they were only there for about an hour, etc.

Here (Germany) they rolled out the bivalent jab initially to over 65s and vulnerable groups and then opened it up about a month ago. They are still only recommending it for those groups but you can book yourself in and get it if you want it.

Give the drive to get vaccinated at the height of covid I'm surprised they're not continuing to get people vaccinated. Have they concluded that it's not worth the cost? The death rate is acceptable?

Give the drive to get vaccinated at the height of covid I'm surprised they're not continuing to get people vaccinated. Have they concluded that it's not worth the cost? The death rate is acceptable?

Stop being such a drama queen - the vaccine only helps prevent serious illness for old / vulnerable people so rolling it out to everyone would be a pointless expense.

It should probably be available privately now though.

Personally, though I might be wrong, I'm of the opinion that at least as far as existing variants go in the UK most of the people more generally likely to die from COVID already have, there will still be some older and vulnerable, etc. who are protected by the vaccines.

Additionally oddly Omicron seems to be skewed towards the older population, even more so than older variants - not just that there was a shift away from the lower respiratory tract, which was one of the things which made COVID relatively more deadly across the population broadly, the chances of death seems to be slightly higher for the very elderly with Omicron than older variants which I wouldn't have expected - lung inflammation and all the problems which go along with that such as potential for pneumonia is especially nasty for older people.

EDIT: Though maybe it is the fatigue which is getting them - Omicron seems to come with milder, but longer lasting, fatigue which might be less of an issue for younger healthy people but grind down the ability of very old people to recover.

Last edited:
Personally, though I might be wrong, I'm of the opinion that at least as far as existing variants go in the UK most of the people more generally likely to die from COVID already have, there will still be some older and vulnerable, etc. who are protected by the vaccines.

Additionally oddly Omicron seems to be skewed towards the older population, even more so than older variants - not just that there was a shift away from the lower respiratory tract, which was one of the things which made COVID relatively more deadly across the population broadly, the chances of death seems to be slightly higher for the very elderly with Omicron than older variants which I wouldn't have expected - lung inflammation and all the problems which go along with that such as potential for pneumonia is especially nasty for older people.

EDIT: Though maybe it is the fatigue which is getting them - Omicron seems to come with milder, but longer lasting, fatigue which might be less of an issue for younger healthy people but grind down the ability of very old people to recover.

What about long COVID? Genuine question, I've not really read up on it.

I also know someone who has potentially (potentially, not sure if it is the cause) had a reaction to the vaccine and lost their hearing, as well as having other issues. There is apparently a group of people who had similar hearing loss within 3 weeks of the jab but it's hard to know for sure.

Last edited:
What about long COVID? Genuine question, I've not really read up on it.

Doesn't seem to be good enough information on it yet - if there ever will be.

I think generally COVID has a larger impact on people's health in the medium and longer term than is understood which includes both people just not having the energy and motivation, etc. they used to for many weeks or months after COVID and other fairly low key health impacts which likely go away eventually. Then there is stuff like those who had lung inflammation and so on likely at significantly higher risk for lung cancer and other cardiovascular issues developing. We've had several people at work develop heart problems post COVID, 2 of which have been medically diagnosed as COVID related, which will be longer term problems for them though they are improving - one will be on medication for the rest of their life though.

Personally I think a lot of the "long COVID" cases which have come to light more immediately are people who've used COVID sort of as an excuse to get treatment for existing chronic conditions where they've previously been too embarrassed, too timid or other reasons (like thinking people will think they are wasting their time, etc.) why they've previously put off professional help. Whereas long COVID is something people generally can get onboard with (or those people will feel like that).

Last edited:
If they enough supply maybe they'll let people pay for it like you can with the flu jab. Are other countries giving people under 50 a 4th booster?
Not in China. We had two jabs, 8 weeks apart, then a booster after 6 months. No further boosters.

As for fatigue - the endless lockdowns and compulsory testing at 06:30 every morning is the cause of my fatigue!

Getting Covid More Than Once Doubles Risk Of Death From Related Issues

And people think this is over, I was chatting to my landlord and he said that having had Covid twice he believed he'd built up a life long protection against it now, Covid is really going to end up killing a lot of us off early but without any real alarm bell.

Getting Covid More Than Once Doubles Risk Of Death From Related Issues

And people think this is over, I was chatting to my landlord and he said that having had Covid twice he believed he'd built up a life long protection against it now, Covid is really going to end up killing a lot of us off early but without any real alarm bell.

That would help with world overpopulation. Seriously though hundreds of thousands, maybe millions must be getting repeat infections. I proposed that the reason my daughter, a supermarket worker, did not catch it until just recently was because of the number of mild infections she got on a regular basis. If twice and dead then millions are for the chopper.

If twice and dead then millions are for the chopper.
It’s clearly not though, is it?

Infections (most now presumably second or third) are not correlating with a huge uptick of hospitalisations or deaths.

I’ll need to take a look into the research but at face value, it doesn’t make sense.

It’s clearly not though, is it?

Infections (most now presumably second or third) are not correlating with a huge uptick of hospitalisations or deaths.

I’ll need to take a look into the research but at face value, it doesn’t make sense.

It's a study conducted on veterans so it's no real surprise that repeated infections do cause problems. It'd be interesting how it impacts all ages.

It's a study conducted on veterans so it's no real surprise that repeated infections do cause problems. It'd be interesting how it impacts all ages.
OP should have probably mentioned that.

No real surprises there then. I would guess that’s the same with repeat infections of any kind for that test group.

Back
Top Bottom