COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

The Telegraph :D it’s just a bigger tabloid these days. Might as well admit it’s just a comic for the ERG, CRG and Reform sadly. If ebola or bubonic plague were crippling the country they would still be harking back to lockdowns, currygate and “Boris was robbed”. Chip paper.

Last edited:
1.9 million people (2.9% of the population) with lasting symptoms of covid.

That report is from last March. I suspect the number is higher now.

Equally it could be lower.

Long covid is largely self reported. We need clinical diagnosis to quote numbers.

So the Telegraph goes off on another anti-lockdown anti-any common sense rant, again. Quelle surprise. They're so close to being CT covid deniers its untrue they just reign it enough to avoid going completely pants on head, but only just.

That and the spectre of the NHS utterly collapsing under the weight of patients they didn't have the manpower to treat and the utter political ********* that would ensue.

All the moneys spent on furlough were worth it to avoid the political embarressment.
Yours etc, B. Johnson.

It's just an opinion piece so your hyperbole is a bit over the top.

The essential premise of the article is that 'no one really seems to care any more' despite attempts to hype it up from certain quarters. Most peoples opinion of covid seemingly comes from their own experiences now, so if covid is not 'bothering' most people that can only be a good thing.. particularly given the time of year.

Long covid is largely self reported. We need clinical diagnosis to quote numbers.

Exactly this statement is incredibly woolly..

• An estimated 1.9 million people living in private households in the UK (2.9% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 5 March 2023 (see Figure 1).

Essentially this says 2m people having self reported symptoms just 4 weeks after infection with something that's not even confirmed as covid. This shouldn't be the basis for some health service crisis. I have had colds that would fit this criteria..

What are the actual figures of diagnosed people requiring actual treatment? Sure some people have long covid, that's not in dispute, just not 2m+ people.. or otherwise you have to accept that long covid is trivial for most people..

Establishing a clinical diagnosis needs to be standardised as there seems to be different versions of long covid, so the eventual treatment could be different depending on the set of symptoms.

But though these are currently self reported, unless you're saying nearly 2 million people are lying then we have to use the figures as a barometer until the medical diagnosis becomes established.

I'm hoping we reach that stage this year, with treatments following soon after.

From what I can see the doctors know the methods of how covid infects the body, and they have looked at the different systems from damage, dysfunction, and inflammation.

Establishing a clinical diagnosis needs to be standardised as there seems to be different versions of long covid, so the eventual treatment could be different depending on the set of symptoms.

But though these are currently self reported, unless you're saying nearly 2 million people are lying then we have to use the figures as a barometer until the medical diagnosis becomes established.

I'm hoping we reach that stage this year, with treatments following soon after.

From what I can see the doctors know the methods of how covid infects the body, and they have looked at the different systems from damage, dysfunction, and inflammation.

By all means use the figures as a barometer what I am saying is the prediction could be 'set fair' rather than 'stormy'.

'

By all means use the figures as a barometer what I am saying is the prediction could be 'set fair' rather than 'stormy'.

'
I hear you. Though from my point of view of having long covid, and being in all the groups with other people, it is a growing problem from my view.

Covid damaged my oxygen circulation. Both my lungs and heart are operating normally. I'm one of the lucky ones in that my main symptom can be easily tested.

If I situp in bed, the moving to sit up will drop my oxygen to around 70%. It's gone worse over the year.

I was typing to a Swedish science Prof on X who had the same symptoms as me, so does his son. His oxygen symptom eventually resolved after 18 months. But some of the stupidity of the doctors he was interacting with ie saying oxygen desaturation was because of psychological reasons. The problem in Sweden is because they didn't want to acknowledge covid they are reluctant to investigate long covid.

Exactly this statement is incredibly woolly..

• An estimated 1.9 million people living in private households in the UK (2.9% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 5 March 2023 (see Figure 1).

Essentially this says 2m people having self reported symptoms just 4 weeks after infection with something that's not even confirmed as covid. This shouldn't be the basis for some health service crisis. I have had colds that would fit this criteria..

What are the actual figures of diagnosed people requiring actual treatment? Sure some people have long covid, that's not in dispute, just not 2m+ people.. or otherwise you have to accept that long covid is trivial for most people..
It's the new "bad back" also known as lazyitis!

Cold symptoms for more than a few weeks? Yep you've got long covid

It's getting abused by the majority

Based on what exactly? The vaccine is only intended to reduce the risk of serious illness isn't it which is why its only available to vulnerable people.

I think you’re confusing the rationale for only giving the booster to certain people (a financial/political decision) with the vaccine’s actual effectiveness.

Similarly, I wasn’t eligible for a flu jab on the NHS - but managed to get one through work. The NHS doesn’t consider me a priority for the flu jab as flu is unlikely to hospitalise me. However, my employer is concerned enough about me having to take a week off work to offer it.

Likely correct. The XBB 1.5 booster provides a decent amount of antibodies to the newer circulating JN.1 strain, even with all its immune evasiveness.
Likely? Ok - so when I had it I had a sore throat for 2 days so how would I have benefitted - a sore throat for 1.5 days?

So the Telegraph goes off on another anti-lockdown anti-any common sense rant, again. Quelle surprise. They're so close to being CT covid deniers its untrue they just reign it enough to avoid going completely pants on head, but only just.

That and the spectre of the NHS utterly collapsing under the weight of patients they didn't have the manpower to treat and the utter political ********* that would ensue.

All the moneys spent on furlough were worth it to avoid the political embarressment.
Yours etc, B. Johnson.
Isn't it wonderful to live in this Telegraph and Daily Mail induced nightmare where 'people just get ill sometimes and even die' and where we have taken no measures to protect ourselves (against all airborne illnesses not just COVID), such as improved ventilation, so we can all pretend it's not happening as we just don't care about improving humanity's lot?

Imagine if we'd had the same attitude with cholera and had not engaged in a huge operation to clean up the water, we'd probably still be throwing buckets of crap onto the streets. What value a modern sewage system? People get ill and die sometimes after all as our wise and esteemed Telegraph writer reminds us.

Last edited:
Isn't it wonderful to live in this Telegraph and Daily Mail induced nightmare where 'people just get ill sometimes and even die' and where we have taken no measures to protect ourselves (against all airborne illnesses not just COVID), such as improved ventilation, so we can all pretend it's not happening as we just don't care about improving humanity's lot?

Imagine if we'd had the same attitude with cholera and had not engaged in huge operation to clean up the water, we'd probably still be throwing buckets of crap onto the streets. What value a modern sewage system? People get ill and die sometimes after all as our wise and esteemed Telegraph writer reminds us.
These people will be far to alpha to wash their hands after taking a ****. :p

Back
Top Bottom