COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
If you have 100 plus patients in ICU in your one hospital, and i assume these new strains are not confined to Stoke, and would still test positive and then go to an airport and get on a plane with your mask then i'd suggest you have the morals of an alley cat. Disgraceful behavior from a medical professional:mad:

I said none are in ICU, can't you read :)

Man of Honour
Source?
I thought the general consensus was that baring maybe the very first strain which didn't make it very far out of China they were all much of a muchness and it was population immunity and treatment that had improved.

Well you may have a point,
During 2020 and especially early 2021 Delta (I think) was killing a lot of people and strains after that haven't been as bad so if you get it your chances of dying from the new strains was dramatically reduced and still is.
Delta was evil.

Man of Honour
Source?
I thought the general consensus was that baring maybe the very first strain which didn't make it very far out of China they were all much of a muchness and it was population immunity and treatment that had improved.

Delta seemed to be bad due to the way it infected the lower respiratory tract - meaning you'd get more people in a serious condition due to lung inflammation, etc. the S or L strain, I can't remember which was which now, seems to have been nastier than Delta but only peaked at around 10-20% of cases in the UK before becoming virtually extinct by December 2020 as it lost out to Alpha for dominance.

I think a lot though comes down to the virus having now worked through the larger majority of those in the population who have a higher than normal vulnerability to COVID, kind of think like an allergic reaction, not just through age or health condition but people who are otherwise healthy and those people have now either died or built up some immunity to it. The larger amount of the people who died purely of COVID and in good health (~24K) will be people in this category.

Advances in medical understanding have also made a huge difference in preventing cases ending up in ICU.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's going to be a big one without putting too finer point on it a lot of the "low hanging fruit" people will have died from it during the really big early waves.

Soldato
my concern now about covid is now the long term affects it may have on quality of life and over all fitness.

I know number of people who each time they get covid dont seem to get to *quite* the same level of fitness as they were before, not really noticable day to day but runners losing a few seconds off their pace or older people noticing their chronic conditions have progressed quickly or just something like being more out of breath when walking to the top of a hill they do daily etc..

I worry that multiple covid infections, whilst not exactly death by 1000 cuts , could on a population scale continue to have a detrimental effect on society.

Not suggesting it as fact, just somthing i seem to have noticed in an admittedly low sample size of people i know.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
my concern now about covid is now the long term affects it may have on quality of life and over all fitness.

I know number of people who each time they get covid dont seem to get to *quite* the same level of fitness as they were before, not really noticable day to day but runners losing a few seconds off their pace or older people noticing their chronic conditions have progressed quickly or just something like being more out of breath when walking to the top of a hill they do daily etc..

I worry that multiple covid infections, whilst not exactly death by 1000 cuts , could on a population scale continue to have a detrimental effect on society.

Not suggesting it as fact, just somthing i seem to have noticed in an admittedly low sample size of people i know.

Personally think there are few people who actually recover from COVID like they would from a cold, etc. just for many people it is so low key and they aren't enough in touch with their body to really notice.

It took me a year to truly recover my core "vitality" for want of a better way to put it fitness wise after the first time I had COVID, my digestive system I don't think will ever return 100% to pre-COVID, the second lot seems to have some lingering brain fog though that has been improving slowly but steadily so hopefully goes back to pre-COVID and a few other things.

IMO there will be an increase in people going on to develop chronic conditions because COVID has had an underlying impact which has either accelerated their path to that condition or put them on the path to that condition especially people who might be say an edge case all their life for things like diabetes.

Commissario
I have a question for you Grey Fox.

During 2020-2021, how many Influenza deaths were recorded at your hospital, as a percentage compared to say... the average over the prior 10 years?
Ah that old one.

Oddly enough the exact same precautions that helped limit covid help with a lot of other illnesses*, so no covid wasn't "just the flu" if that's where you're going.
Pretty much any disease is going to see a reduction if you reduce both the number and time of interactions between different households, and get people to actually wash their hands.

*I suspect 2020-2021 also saw a reduction in the cases of norovirus, and dozens of other diseases.

Soldato
Man of Honour
I have a question for you Grey Fox.

During 2020-2021, how many Influenza deaths were recorded at your hospital, as a percentage compared to say... the average over the prior 10 years?

I've no idea but we still had influenza cases separated from Covid cases, the data will be out there somewhere.
Flu has never gone away and Covid is going nowhere.
Also take into account that Flu cases would have decreased because people were now in lockdown, wearing masks and washing.
I haven't had a cold since early 2020 and I normally get at least 3 a year.
You're now thinking "Were colds a conspiracy theory and never existed" :)

Man of Honour
A new report as come out showing covid, in long covid, hangs around in the gut for up to 2 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if I've got a degree of that going on - my digestive system easily becomes irritable and less tolerant ever since the first time I had COVID, not debilitatingly so just minor discomfort but definitely not something I had before COVID. Though I suspect it is probably damage done by COVID rather than chronic presence of the virus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom