COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
I went to a wedding on 21st June. Pretty much everyone that went ended up with covid, myself included a couple of days later. I did a test today, and I'm still positive, 8 days after the first symptoms. The test looked like I drew on it with a sharpie, the line was so pronounced. I feel fine, other than the occasional cough and sneeze, and this is my first time knowingly getting covid, so I've done pretty well dodging it until now.

Last edited:
Associate
His comment matches a lot of what I've seen Doctors and Nurses who've worked in ICU with vaccine refusers/covid deniers state when the patient realises that they are actually dying of the thing they didn't believe was real and think the vaccine might save them now*/regret not having had it.

People still state this fear jerk, wish I'd had the vaccine rubbish? Was cringing to read the first time round and everyone was stroking it to stoke fear (and probably sub consciously to justify them taking something not needed). I'm sure there were one or two people but this pitiful line is laughable.

Then again the doctors that make up part of my social group might just also be cynical swines.

Soldato
Feel so much better today. I know the symptoms this being my third time testing positive. Started feeling **** last Thursday, Friday was a day on the sofa dozing off and on. Saturday was the worst, in bed had pins and needles in my arms, sore throat, sweats, waking up every 30 mins or so during the night, that day was another sofa day, more of the same on Sunday and felt a little better yesterday.

Last edited:
Soldato
It amuses me greatly that anyone who has chosen not to take the jab for whatever reason is hysterically classed as a refuser/Covid denier.
Absolute nonsense.

If people do not want to take the jab that is up to them, however surely you cant argue that a lot of these people who refused to take the jab were also the ones claiming that covid was a hoax or all that other stuff?.

So sure, IF an individual didnt want to take the jab back in the day that is up to them i guess, however on the flip side those same people should also be respectful of those other people who chose to say, if you dont take the jab then i do not want you in my house / business

and further more whilst individual countries have to accept their own citizens choosing not to have the jab then they were totally justified in saying thanks but no thanks to foreigners who didnt take the vaccine (with out a medical exception) from entering their shores.

freedom to choose is a 2 way street imo.

Man of Honour
People still state this fear jerk, wish I'd had the vaccine rubbish? Was cringing to read the first time round and everyone was stroking it to stoke fear (and probably sub consciously to justify them taking something not needed). I'm sure there were one or two people but this pitiful line is laughable.

Then again the doctors that make up part of my social group might just also be cynical swines.

So you're calling me a liar?

Man of Honour
Anyway more fake news for Orangeade and Salami

Surgical Face Masks

Multiple variants of Covid-19 continue to circulate in the population during all seasons, and UHNM has noticed an increase during June with more than 100 inpatients with Covid-19 over the course of the last week.

From todayMonday 1 July 2024 - at UHNM we are re-introducing the wearing of fluid resistant surgical masks in ALL clinical areas.

Staff in all UHNM areas are recommended to wear a surgical mask if they have any cold, sore throat or respiratory virus symptoms, no matter how mild. Masks should be worn during working hours, even when not in contact with a patient to help protect patients, visitors, and colleagues.

If you are recommended to wear a mask as per personal risk assessment, please continue to do so.

Staff with a high fever should not continue to work as per current guidance.

Please ensure the entrance to all wards and clinical areas have masks available for staff, patients an visitors to wear.

In line with existing guidance, FFP3 masks will still be required for staff when:
  • in contact with confirmed or highly suspected Covid-19 and
  • when undertaking aerosol generating procedures (AGP’s) on patients with a known or suspected infectious agent spread wholly or partly by the airborne or droplet route.
Please note there are other respiratory infections where the wearing of a surgical mask or FFP3 masks are required. For example an FFP3 mask when in contact with measles.

It is important that staff assess each patient contact, procedure or task and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) that protects adequately against the risks associated with the procedure/task.

The Infection Prevention Questions and Answers Manual which is available on every Trust computer desktop, contains information on various infections and personal protective equipment required (Chapter 2).

This guidance will be regularly reviewed and updated based on the community prevalence of Covid-19.

Please also be reminded of infection prevention measures such as being bare below the elbow and good hand hygiene.

Associate
We had some friends visiting on Wednesday, and one of them had "Hey Fever." I started feeling tired on Friday and Saturday, developed a sore throat on Sunday, and then tested positive for Covid. I felt worse yesterday, but I'm feeling slightly better today. Many of my friends/family are reporting similar symptoms, suggesting we might be experiencing another wave. I've had three vaccines, with the last one nearly two years ago. This is my third time getting Covid, with previous infections at Christmas in 2022 and 2023, and now again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We had some friends visiting on Wednesday, one had "Hey Fever". I started to feel tired on Friday and Saturday, sore throat Sunday followed by a positive test. Felt worse yesterday, but feel slightly better today. I am hearing lots of friends state the same, which suggests we are in another wave. I've had 3 prior vaccines with the last one coming up for 2 years ago. Had covid 3 times now, Christmas 2022, Christmas 2023 and again now.

Seems to be sporadically going around - every now and again my mum mentions X or Y having picked up COVID, there was a girl at work who had it over the weekend, but it seems more isolated outbreaks now possibly due to people having varying levels of vaccine and infection conferred immunity/resistance.

Soldato
What would people here do hypothetically if they had full on covid and were planning on going on holiday on a plane?

As i understand it covid is not a reason to be able to cancel so i assume you either go or cancel your holiday and lose your money. I cant think of a good solution to be honest. My mum has COPD and she just about got over covid after a month of feeling rotten - tho she will never be fully recovered sadly. I know she is tentatively thinking of going abroad again now - her last time on a plane was 2019...... she likely wont be able to for much longer but is (quite justifiably i think) nervous about getting on a plane and being stuck in the middle of a bunch of people with covid with no way to get away from them.

Note i am not looking to judge or chastise, i genuinely do not know what i would do if i were in the position of having covid but having a holiday planned.

Last edited:
Associate
What would people here do hypothetically if they had full on covid and were planning on going on holiday on a plane?

As i understand it covid is not a reason to be able to cancel so i assume you either go or cancel your holiday and lose your money. I cant think of a good solution to be honest. My mum has COPD and she just about got over covid after a month of feeling rotten - tho she will never be fully recovered sadly. I know she is tentatively thinking of going abroad again now - her last time on a plane was 2019...... she likely wont be able to for much longer but is (quite justifiably i think) nervous about getting on a plane and being stuck in the middle of a bunch of people with covid with no way to get away from them.

Note i am not looking to judge or chastise, i genuinely do not know what i would do if i were in the position of having covid but having a holiday planned.
Most travel insurance polices have covid cancellation cover, you just need a valid PCR test which you can buy privately. However, I think most people would still go, as there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

Associate
Seems to be sporadically going around - every now and again my mum mentions X or Y having picked up COVID, there was a girl at work who had it over the weekend, but it seems more isolated outbreaks now possibly due to people having varying levels of vaccine and infection conferred immunity/resistance.
Admittedly, this just feels like a heavy cold as opposed to my last two infections.

Soldato
If people do not want to take the jab that is up to them, however surely you cant argue that a lot of these people who refused to take the jab were also the ones claiming that covid was a hoax or all that other stuff?.
I'm certainly not arguing with the above, it's just the same tired old statement that if one hasn't had the jab then they're a refuser/Covid denier etc thats a bit tedious for those of us that haven't.
It's boring, lazy and not very intelligent.

So sure, IF an individual didnt want to take the jab back in the day that is up to them i guess, however on the flip side those same people should also be respectful of those other people who chose to say, if you dont take the jab then i do not want you in my house / business
Absolutely.

and further more whilst individual countries have to accept their own citizens choosing not to have the jab then they were totally justified in saying thanks but no thanks to foreigners who didnt take the vaccine (with out a medical exception) from entering their shores.

freedom to choose is a 2 way street imo.
Yup, if thats the rules, then one must respect/obey them.

Man of Honour

If I tested positive I would still go because there's no rules about it now.
Obviously if I was too ill to go then that's a different matter.
I would however wear a mask on the plane and be one of those "Look at that ******** wearing a mask" people because it would be irresponsible like going on with a bad cold or flu..

Associate
If I tested positive I would still go because there's no rules about it now.
Obviously if I was too ill to go then that's a different matter.
I would however wear a mask on the plane and be one of those "Look at that ******** wearing a mask" people because it would be irresponsible like going on with a bad cold or flu..
Does that mean the rules before were bunkum? Won't you think about all the grannies on the plane? Outrageous.

Man of Honour
Does that mean the rules before were bunkum? Won't you think about all the grannies on the plane? Outrageous.

No they weren't because they were a much worse strain.
Even though we have 100 plus Covid patients in our hospital now nobody has been in ICU for a long time unlike the other strains when the rules were out but you already know that or trolling.

Last edited:
Associate
No they weren't because they were a much worse strain.
Even though we have 100 plus Covid patients in our hospital now nobody has been in ICU for a long time unlike the other strains when the rules were out but you already know that or trolling.
If you have 100 plus patients in ICU in your one hospital, and i assume these new strains are not confined to Stoke, and would still test positive and then go to an airport and get on a plane with your mask then i'd suggest you have the morals of an alley cat. Disgraceful behavior from a medical professional:mad:

Soldato

Wear an FFP3 mask without a valve. If you have covid, you're not spreading it. If you don't have it, you're not getting it.

Back
Top Bottom