COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Dunno if related to COVID - Googling suggests multiple COVID infections can increase the risk, multiple people I know have had Shingles in the last few weeks, latest being my sister in law, ranging in ages from mid 30s to mid 70s. Never experienced that before in my life - and usually the 1-2 older persons every few years have been 70s to 80s. Probably just coincidence but all of them have had it develop about 2 weeks after going on holiday abroad - all but one to places around the Med.

Doesn't sound surprising to me. COVID pounds the immune system and that temporary weakening of it allows the chickenpox herpes to become active again.

Last edited:
I didn't know they'd opened them up, I've just this minute booked my dad in for covid and flu at the same time, I need to ring tomorrow to find out if i'm eligible.
Although the way things are going i'm going to need a boat to get there.

Yeah they've tightened up the criteria big time this year. They are no longer concerned about preventing transmission, only severe disease. So I am no longer eligible despite being a contact of someone immune compromised. Private only for me now.

Yeah they've tightened up the criteria big time this year. They are no longer concerned about preventing transmission, only severe disease. So I am no longer eligible despite being a contact of someone immune compromised. Private only for me now.
Still offering it to me I assume because the last time I told the drs my weight nearly 5 years ago I tipped into the morbidly obese category, at least that's the only reason I can think of.

Our local pharmacy does both private (Pfizer) for £85 and NHS (Moderna) for free.

Both of them have been recently updated to cover the JN.1 variant.

Decided to just pay for the private one without having to wait for the NHS one which currently has a queue for a few weeks.

Our local pharmacy does both private (Pfizer) for £85 and NHS (Moderna) for free.

Decided to just pay for the private one without having to wait for the NHS one which currently has a queue for a few weeks.
I'm just going to use the walk in clinic for mine I think.

Dunno if related to COVID - Googling suggests multiple COVID infections can increase the risk, multiple people I know have had Shingles in the last few weeks, latest being my sister in law, ranging in ages from mid 30s to mid 70s. Never experienced that before in my life - and usually the 1-2 older persons every few years have been 70s to 80s. Probably just coincidence but all of them have had it develop about 2 weeks after going on holiday abroad - all but one to places around the Med.
Not unique to COVID, but any significant viral illness can cause immunosuppression which in turn can lead to reactivation of dormant virsuses eg. Varicella Zoster ( shingles ), Epstein Barr virus etc.

Annoying because JN.1 is already outdated. The US is using KP.2 and we're stuck with the old lot, again...

more anti believing everything the government tell me
neither do I... I also do not trust big pharma either!. but you should not have to go far in your circle of acquaintances to find doctors or nurses or scientists who worked in areas where they had (still have) direct experience of what COVID can and has done.

so you are not not believing the government................... you are not believing the government, doctors, nurses, scientists, 1000s of people who have lost loved ones............ but you have no problem believing a minority of people who think covid is all a big hoax?

FWIW the vaccine is far from perfect and we are at a point now where if you choose to not take it then that is up to you it does not really affect anyone else what you decide.

but were it not for the vaccine things would have been (and still would be) so much worse and even now for some people it makes absolute sense to take the vaccine (my mum for instance has COPD, she can barely breathe and has a viscous cough at the best of times. she needs all the help she can get to try to minimise the affects of getting covid and ideally i want my conscience clear that i did everything i could personally to not give it to her either

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom