COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yesterday she said she felt like she had gone 10 rounds with mike Tyson, but today she pretty much just been coughing her guts up, TBH she’s tough as old boots and she said she currently feels nowhere near as bad as some of her past treatments(flebogamma/cyclophosphamide) but it’s only day 2, hopefully the antivirals will keep it like that

You're well within the first 5 days, so they've got the best chance of keeping it in touch. How long is the course of tablets?

Do you have any idea where she caught it from? As I know you guys were being as cautious as you could be.

Soldato
You're well within the first 5 days, so they've got the best chance of keeping it in touch. How long is the course of tablets?

Do you have any idea where she caught it from? As I know you guys were being as cautious as you could be.
It’s a 5 day course. We think it was our daughter who brought it in from her work, she was feeling rough but was testing negative everyday so she put it down to hay fever. My wife went out for a walk with her on Wednesday, but drove to get to the park, so we think it was Wednesday when she caught it in the car.

Man of Honour
Might be entirely coincidental but I'm not liking the up-tick in people I know, young (20-46) and healthy with no previous problem, developing heart problems in 2022 so far. All having had at least 1 bout of COVID within the last few months and triple vaccinated. One of my colleagues had a heart attack 3 weeks ago, another is in a serious condition with a heart murmur, infection scarring, resting heart rate 120BPM and blood pressure off the chart*. Been several incidents with friends or acquaintances having events when cycling or running recently leading to discovery of a heart condition.

Whether coincidence, related to COVID, the vaccine, something else I don't know but not known so many incidences so close together before - or maybe a consequence of people being less active over the last couple of years with lockdowns and so on - I know some of them went from active lifestyles to practically sedentary over the pandemic then back to very active in recent weeks - possibly pushing themselves too far.

* Been a bit of drama at the hospital due to it - can't remember the numbers but he was admitted with blood pressure something like 135 or 139 over 90 something and the doctor sent him home, was brought back in next day in an emergency with 180+ over something and they had to call in a support unit and the doctor dealing with him is in trouble.

Associate
Might be entirely coincidental but I'm not liking the up-tick in people I know, young (20-46) and healthy with no previous problem, developing heart problems in 2022 so far. All having had at least 1 bout of COVID within the last few months and triple vaccinated. One of my colleagues had a heart attack 3 weeks ago, another is in a serious condition with a heart murmur, infection scarring, resting heart rate 120BPM and blood pressure off the chart*. Been several incidents with friends or acquaintances having events when cycling or running recently leading to discovery of a heart condition.

Whether coincidence, related to COVID, the vaccine, something else I don't know but not known so many incidences so close together before - or maybe a consequence of people being less active over the last couple of years with lockdowns and so on - I know some of them went from active lifestyles to practically sedentary over the pandemic then back to very active in recent weeks - possibly pushing themselves too far.

* Been a bit of drama at the hospital due to it - can't remember the numbers but he was admitted with blood pressure something like 135 or 139 over 90 something and the doctor sent him home, was brought back in next day in an emergency with 180+ over something and they had to call in a support unit and the doctor dealing with him is in trouble.

I have never seen so many posts on LinkedIn of young people suddenly dying. It's constant. All vaccinated.

My opinion is purely anecdotal but something is fishy. But I would also bet my last dollar on it never been ascribed even in part to the vaccine. Everyone has too much to lose on that..

Even closer to me it's happening.

https://insideparadeplatz.ch/2022/04/19/junger-vontobel-haendler-im-buero-verstorben/

Don
Another curve ball, could also be our prior immunity to other usually harmless viruses has waned to the point that they are causing serious health issues. You’ll likely have seen in the news about kids getting severe hepatitis and needing emergency liver transplants the last couple on months. Finger is being pointed at a common cold virus for that now that social restrictions are relaxed.

Man of Honour
Another curve ball, could also be our prior immunity to other usually harmless viruses has waned to the point that they are causing serious health issues. You’ll likely have seen in the news about kids getting severe hepatitis and needing emergency liver transplants the last couple on months. Finger is being pointed at a common cold virus for that now that social restrictions are relaxed.

It is a thought which crossed my mind - I almost certainly think it is rooted in the pandemic rather than coincidence but can't say what or even if there is a common cause.

Commissario
I've seen something from America that was suggesting that covid can mess up your immune system, so you lose your previous immunities. This was in regards to people who have to be immunised for all sorts of things due to their job suddenly finding that they've basically lost all their antibodies to things, including vaccinations that normally last a lifetime and have a check to make sure they've taken.

IIRC measles sometimes does something similar, so it's not unknown for a virus to do it.

Caporegime
I've seen something from America that was suggesting that covid can mess up your immune system, so you lose your previous immunities. This was in regards to people who have to be immunised for all sorts of things due to their job suddenly finding that they've basically lost all their antibodies to things, including vaccinations that normally last a lifetime and have a check to make sure they've taken.

IIRC measles sometimes does something similar, so it's not unknown for a virus to do it.

Which is a very different thing to what some people are touting about restrictions meaning our immune systems have weakened due to lack of exposure to other things.

Our immune systems are pretty much set once we hit adulthood, and do not need consistent exposure to things to stay strong.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/05/all-social-distancing-weakening-our-immune-systems

Soldato
Don't know if it's been discussed but an interesting statistic I came across the other day when looking for the % of the UK population that had caught Covid so far.

In Jan 2022 it was estimated at ~40% of the population (so after nearly 2 years)

Late Feb it was ~52%

Last week it's now ~71%

That seems to show how infectious this latest variant of Omicron is! Which got me thinking with all these infections going on the mutational chances are obviously very high, but would it be getting harder and harder for a new variant to get a foothold and be able to knock this strain off the top spot?

Soldato

Can't say I'm surprised. My mother ended up with heart palpitations that multiple doctors have confirmed as being from her Omicron infection, which hit her hard for a day then got better due to antivirals.

So much for Omicron being no big deal.

Associate
Don't know if it's been discussed but an interesting statistic I came across the other day when looking for the % of the UK population that had caught Covid so far.

In Jan 2022 it was estimated at ~40% of the population (so after nearly 2 years)

Late Feb it was ~52%

Last week it's now ~71%

That seems to show how infectious this latest variant of Omicron is! Which got me thinking with all these infections going on the mutational chances are obviously very high, but would it be getting harder and harder for a new variant to get a foothold and be able to knock this strain off the top spot?

All it takes is one variant to come along that evades previous infections (immunity) and bang we set the clock back to zero and being infected with omicron is rendered useless and pointless

The whole basis of herd immunity with this virus is non existent

Flu does the same but we are always one step ahead with the Flu vaccine as we get the data for next years Flu vaccine from the Southern Hemisphere. With covid we seem to always be one step behind

Soldato
All it takes is one variant to come along that evades previous infections (immunity) and bang we set the clock back to zero and being infected with omicron is rendered useless and pointless

The whole basis of herd immunity with this virus is non existent

Flu does the same but we are always one step ahead with the Flu vaccine as we get the data for next years Flu vaccine from the Southern Hemisphere. With covid we seem to always be one step behind

From the current trial results, bivalent vaccines may be a good answer to variants.

Soldato
Family member had two heart attacks, first one ambulance took 60 mins, third one took 3 hours.

No idea if covid hospital cases contributed to the response times.

Now in an induced coma.

Soldato
Can't say I'm surprised. My mother ended up with heart palpitations that multiple doctors have confirmed as being from her Omicron infection, which hit her hard for a day then got better due to antivirals.

So much for Omicron being no big deal.
I think the term flaunted around is "mild" which obviously is easy to ignore. Works really well for people who just want things to go back to normal and ignore the obvious crap around them :D A few in this thread like that.

Don
Man of Honour
Interesting how quickly it has dropped off here again - after a few weeks where it was going around like wildfire, workplaces heavily impacted, schools having half the kids off, etc. etc. and now suddenly no one seems to have it (aside from a small number who are probably using it as an excuse). In some respects that isn't unlike the seasonal impact of colds and flu only the situation here is a bit different especially if it is far less tightly tied to seasonal patterns.

However the floor never seems to go down - every iteration seems to build upwards - previous dips for numbers in hospital for instance:

875, 5712, 6490, 7250, 10582, 14929

Not sure where that ends, even assuming the percentage of that number in hospital due to COVID is decreasing against the number in hospital with COVID it presents serious, never ending, challenges for the NHS. (at a rough guess from the ICU trends percentage of those in hospital with COVID due to COVID has dropped from around 80% to around 40% over that time). Also likely means future surges are going to be increasingly larger in impact even though it only seems to last a relatively short time.

Back
Top Bottom