COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
How long did people wait to return to exercising after Covid, guess this is a case by case basis I suppose..

Desperate to get to the gym but on day 14 since testing positive and still feel a little peculiar, All symptoms have gone & I can almost smell and taste again but just feel a bit weird today, hard to describe it. Chest / breathing is relatively normal though.

*Sigh, guess I've answered my own question and another day or so on the bloody sofa all evening for safe measure.

I went back to cycling within a couple of days in late March '20, but then intially my symptoms were almost the other end of the scale to my partner who began a continuous cough and breathing difficulties a few days before me (she recovered after ~6 weeks and had a very typical "normal" summer, but then had a relapse in Nov '20 and she has now been signed off sick with Long Covid since Dec '20 from her NHS role). Initially I had just one day of the worst headache I can ever remember than painkillers wouldn't touch.

However, my eagerness to return to threshold+ training and chasing my times up local hills completely backfired, typical recovery periods of <2 days between hard sessions needed at least four days between them. I also had daily moving patches for weeks which felt like badly bruised ribs moving side to side, front to back, believed to be lung issues. Not to mention crippling fatigue after work shifts that unusually forced me to nap almost as soon as I came through the door. After a couple of weeks or so I came to my senses and spent ~5 weeks taking things very easy and then gradually introducing threshold+ intervals.

Listen to your body and gradually return intensity is my advice.

Caporegime
After 2.5 years of dodging it, we've both come down with covid (no doubt as a result of the cruise we just came back from).

Feels like a pretty rough flu, with all the associated bits, however the main difference is the sheer exhaustion we both have, just doing anything leaves me out of breath.

Time to sleep the day away.

This is how it feels for me.

Like a mild flu or horrible cold.

(I've had full on flu once, and that was horrendous)

Associate
What's the word on our next booster then? Feels like the Gov have gone dark. My elderly parent's had the 4th jab few months back but I'm hinting the 6th months gap now so unless they start rolling things out it's surely going to be carnage come autumn.

Soldato

Guess there are worse things to catch at Glastonbury :p

Next booster for those that are eligible is sometime in Autumn and with the speed of this new Omicron strain I'd imagine most people will have caught it again by then.

Soldato

Guess there are worse things to catch at Glastonbury :p

Next booster for those that are eligible is sometime in Autumn and with the speed of this new Omicron strain I'd imagine most people will have caught it again by then.
Four tweets about this with about 12-15 cases is talking about a 5th wave is exaggerating imo.

As keep saying no official counts, people are only testing if they have LFTs left.

Man of Honour
What's the word on our next booster then? Feels like the Gov have gone dark. My elderly parent's had the 4th jab few months back but I'm hinting the 6th months gap now so unless they start rolling things out it's surely going to be carnage come autumn.

The protection against severe disease and death seems to hold up fairly robustly - studies generally putting 80% protection still at 6+ months for those who've had 3rd or 4th jabs - though some people likely will need boosters in good time before a probable winter season.

The whole thing with vaccines and boosters seems to be a bit overplayed - especially with Omicron the window where they have an impact on transmission and symptomatic disease is fairly narrow and regularly topping up to try and extend that effect if anything is counter-productive in effect.

Soldato
The protection against severe disease and death seems to hold up fairly robustly - studies generally putting 80% protection still at 6+ months for those who've had 3rd or 4th jabs - though some people likely will need boosters in good time before a probable winter season.

The whole thing with vaccines and boosters seems to be a bit overplayed - especially with Omicron the window where they have an impact on transmission and symptomatic disease is fairly narrow and regularly topping up to try and extend that effect if anything is counter-productive in effect.

Doesn't seem to be. More recent studies are showing that the protection is best based on the number of jabs you have had, rather than the type. More jabs are always going to be better than less.

However, by Autumn we should have the bivalent vaccines ready to go, which should put a huge dent in Omicron transmission. On the vaccine front as well, it seems that Pfizer are readying to begin human trials of a pan-coronavirus (universal) vaccine, which would finally end this pandemic if things went well and they could get it out within a year or two.

Soldato
Well lets hope, the situation at my office, I think 2000 odd, would have been described last year as a pingdemic. We must have a third or so off ill, note, not pinged but ill. All Covid. I went out for a (outdoor) beer or two tonight, thursday night in EC1 had superspreader written all over it.

Man of Honour
It is weird at work how it isn't going around like a cold/flu, despite COVID measures being dropped now. It seems to suddenly pick up, bunch of people go down with it but nothing like the numbers with a cold going around, then suddenly vanishes again. With a big overlap of the same people getting it - quite a few are on their 3rd bout.

Interestingly most of those who've had it in the latest wave are triple vaccinated, while those at work unvaccinated so far haven't had it or had it once early on in 2020 and refuse to get vaccinated citing natural immunity being "better".

EDIT: Surprised I've so far seemed to have escaped it from last weekend when people were dropping like flies with it and I couldn't really avoid them. 2 more shifts then I'm off for a couple of weeks so gonna keep my head down.

Soldato
Four tweets about this with about 12-15 cases is talking about a 5th wave is exaggerating imo.

As keep saying no official counts, people are only testing if they have LFTs left.

The Glastonbury stuff is largely anecdotal but I don't think there is any real doubt that we are in a 5th wave, one is that is looking to match if not top what we saw earlier in the year due to reinfection rates. Other countries are monitoring cases and we still have some monitoring albeit limited which shows the same trends.

Thankfully BA.5 is still mild like previous Omicron variants but hospitalisations will go up as overall case numbers go up and that will cause some problems for the NHS. Not expecting any restrictions or anything like that to come in but it would be nice if we could stop pretending covid has gone away and instead have some sort of long term plan for the NHS to manage with this year round.

Last edited:
Associate
The Glastonbury stuff is largely anecdotal but I don't think there is any real doubt that we are in a 5th wave, one is that is looking to match if not top what we saw earlier in the year due to reinfection rates. Other countries are monitoring cases and we still have some monitoring albeit limited which shows the same trends.

Thankfully BA.5 is still mild like previous Omicron variants but hospitalisations will be go up as overall case numbers go up and that will cause some problems for the NHS. Not expecting any restrictions or anything like that to come in but it would be nice if we could stop pretending covid has gone away and instead have some sort of long term plan for the NHS to manage with this year round.
The long term plan should be to live a healthier lifestyle. It won't happen though.

And some people seem to get offended at me saying this for some bizarre reason.

Caporegime
I think my symptoms are lessening.
I feel less achy, less congested and generally less **** than yesterday.

I know know 7 people with it right now.
Before this week max was 2

Back
Top Bottom