Crime Up, Knife Crime Up, Gun Crime Up

Caporegime
I see them wandering the town centre everytime I go near it and last weekend there were at least 3-4 fully tooled up armed coppers patrolling Meadowhall shopping centre! Bobbies on the beat does nothing to reduce crime just gives people a warm fuzzy feeling or makes me think 'why on earth?' In the case of the armed patrols of Meadowhall! What's really suffered from the cuts is coommunity policing which does up the level if gang violence.

I think we’re probably talking about the same thing as I live in a rural area. Police on the beat here are taking part in the community, meeting people and have an understanding of the area and people.

I agree that the reactive, paramilitary type officer that you see in densely populated areas are probably ineffective at reducing crime.

Soldato
Take the 1000 most prolific offenders in each city and lock them away permanently, and you would see a drastic reduction in the overall crime rate

But, But,

If you did that. just think of all the Lawyers who would be out of a job.

Repeat offenders are the bread and butter (And the Jam, and the Cream, And the fillet steak, etc) of the legal industry.

Bemtlys and holiday homes in the Algarve cost a lot to run dont ya know.... ;)

Caporegime
Why do people think/associate bobbies on the beat stopping crimes happening? This might have been relevant in the 50s

It's a compete yesteryear fantasy.

The complete breakdown of respect and the breakdown of the family unit in certain echelons of society just breed criminals. Stabbing each other in the streets and schools.
Respect innit.

Soldato
FFS, I'll search my posts and get the figures.

There are 123 142 police officers in England and Wales. The historic peak was 144 353 in 2009. In 2000 the number of police officers was 124 000. So we've got similar numbers to 2000. It's not as though they've been slashed to historically low numbers... we just had a peak between 2000 and now.

And thanks in part to the 00s immigration explosion we now have nearly 6 million more people in the country compared to 2000.

That's 6 million more to be cared for on the NHS, to be policed etc...

Over half the population are not net contributors and that figure is continually rising.

People cry over the NHS, policr cuts and think Corbin will fix everything but are too lazy to read ONS papers regarding public spending to make their own minds up.

This country is ****** financially with the current welfare system.

Soldato
And thanks in part to the 00s immigration explosion we now have nearly 6 million more people in the country compared to 2000.

That's 6 million more to be cared for on the NHS, to be policed etc...

Lucky then those immigrants on average are young, of working age, better educated than the native population and a net benefit to the economy to pay for those things for everyone else

Over half the population are not net contributors and that figure is continually rising.

Two points to that, most of the non contributors are the natives, lucky we've had the immigrants to support them, and a smaller % of the population are net contributors because a smaller % of the population are getting more of the income, due to wealth inequality

People cry over the NHS, policr cuts and think Corbin will fix everything but are too lazy to read ONS papers regarding public spending to make their own minds up.

This country is ****** financially with the current welfare system.

Shame you just read the ONS reports on public spending and not on public income to realise the economic benefits the immigration has brought us. And the only part of our welfare system that is unsustainable that is royally ******* us is pensions.

We have one of the lowest per capita spends in the developed nations on our health service.

Associate
Don't let facts and figures get in the way of your opinion.

Which facts and figures? The fact that the majority of crimes in each city are committed by the same handful of repeat offenders? The fact that our prisons are full, so courts are being encouraged to use non-custodial sentences? Or the fact that 26.8% of offenders are convicted of further crimes within a year of release?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Which facts and figures? The fact that the majority of crimes in each city are committed by the same handful of repeat offenders? The fact that our prisons are full, so courts are being encouraged to use non-custodial sentences? Or the fact that 26.8% of offenders are convicted of further crimes within a year of release?

The reoffending rate probably has more to do with the fact that we spend so little on rehabilitation and sorting out the causes of crime. Mainly because as soon as you do you are branded soft on crime by the tabloids so it is politically not worthwhile.

Associate
Are you suggesting that the reoffending rate as published by the ONS is just an opinion? There is an argument that the true rate of reoffending is actually higher, as this only counts those convicted of further offences within a year of release and therefore cannot measure those who commit further crimes without being caught or those convicted at a later date.

The cause of the reoffending isn't relevant though. If those repeat criminals remained behind bars then the criminal activity they are currently engaging in following release will simply not happen.

Soldato
The cause of the reoffending isn't relevant though. If those repeat criminals remained behind bars then the criminal activity they are currently engaging in following release will simply not happen.

The cause is entirely relevant though, because if you understood that and put in rehabilitation services to combat those reasons then the re-offending rate would be lower and our prisons wouldn't be full...

The answer of 'just keep them locked up and don't worry about rehabilitation' is what has led us to this position of full prisons and high recidivism rates, that is far costlier in the long term

Caporegime
I'd wager the large majority of people who re-offend do so because they have to.

They can't get a job because of their history, they then have to live off benefits, benefits get cut, they possibly have families to feed so again have to turn to crime to pay the way because they can't get by any other way.

Society has many deep rooted problems that are not really solvable without radical ideas, and IMHO society needs a radical shake up as, in the most part, it's ******* horrible.

Soldato
You cant have the attitude of 'lock em up and they will never commit again'. We might as well go back to the thinking that some people are criminals because they are inherently born that way with that attitude.

After a certain point, increasing the severity of a punishment does little to add a deterrent. Combating crime is about more than just deterring people through punishment but moulding a society where people are less likely to turn to crime in the first place and a punishment system that gives prisoners a chance to reform and not re-offend. There will always people who slip through the cracks but the fewer the better.

Caporegime
That's probably what you get when you let in thousands of third world people who don't know how to behave in first world countries. Or blow your resources arresting people for online "hate speech", whilst delaying arresting Muslim paedophile groups preying on young children for fear of being called racist. And so on...

I have met countless white, British people who behave like wild animals, being born here and of a certain ethnicity does prevent crap humans from being crap.

I say this as an immigrant from a third world country :D

Soldato
For one, the fact that people sentenced to Community Sentences are vastly less likely to re-offend than those sent to prison.

You are right, if they 'stayed behind bars forever' then crime would decrease - perhaps also rounding up three generations of their family North Korean style might work also. However, in this country people being sent to prison for minor offences tend to come straight out and start committing crime again. Once you've lost your home, family, job - all your 'mates' are now convicts - you're much more likely to go back into crime. Especially if the first thing you do after time aside is head to the pub and get wasted.

Whilst it might not serve peoples feeling of justice and vengeance - focusing on rehabilitation instead of just banging people up, has a dramatic long term effect on overall crime. Something that has been eroded over the past few years.

Associate
I have met countless white, British people who behave like wild animals, being born here and of a certain ethnicity does prevent crap humans from being crap.

I say this as an immigrant from a third world country :D

Letting in people who are accustomed to settling arguments by chopping each other up & zero ability to confirm to social norms of this country aren't going to be helping the situation.

Back
Top Bottom