CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
OP
Its IMA and the batteries are 18kg.... 200lb.... LOL. Dont make your research so quick next time.

So no idea what you are refering to as the K20 is significantly heavier than the LEA, including the fact the K20 also has an alternator.

Not sure what real world figures are for when Nath already has a CRZ. If its HondaTech that would be US 37mpg which is pretty good!

I'm currently averaging 47MPG up from my previosu 38MPG as I'm using the motorway to commute now rather than more A & B roads.

And lol at the 200lb battery weight.

Soldato
OP
I have driven three FN2s and your car on a number of occasions.

Stock CRZ Vs Stock FN2 then I would take the FN2 as it is a little sharper.
Your CRZ Vs Stock FN2 then I would take the CRZ as it is more unique and has more character
Your CRZ Vs Modded FN2 then I would take yours and Mod it.
Your CRZ Vs CW/10+ FN2 then I would probably take the FN2 as it would be better 'out of the box' as a car to drive. But ultimately wouldn't enjoy the economy figures of the CRZ which is a major factor in your commute now.

Uniqueness, is worth more than BHP imho

Aye, agreed.

The FN2 idea would be me essentially doing a straight swap which would make more sense finacially but I cant let go of my car for something that I see 3 or 4 times a day.

Soldato
OP
Simples, you have a dislike for them that I've only seen matched by the ***** on CTRO. The difference being that you're not just a bitter pre facelift EP3 driver who can't afford one and thus quotes Jeremy Clarkson at every opportunity.
All I can see that as would be a massive compromise on your part and I don't think you'd be happy. I compromised on silver when I wanted white and regretted it.

Oh my god someone is a little bit tetchy.

I thought you were going to have a constructive post but instead just picked up on mine and RJK's FN2 banter.

/facepalm

Soldato
OP
Except its banter with substance. Nothing you've ever said has been untrue :)
I'm not tetchy anyway, I don't see my car as an extension of anything. For constructive try rubbish economy for very average power

Fair enough, yeah that was a concern.

If you love the car and are planning on keeping it a while, I don't see why not. Although if you're concerned about running costs and MPG, £6k buys you a lot of tax and petrol :p

I'm surprised no one has made this comment earlier tbh. The only problem with that is that once the ^k is gone for running costs, it's gone.

Plus the thought of shelving 6K to pay soley for petrol etc is soul destroying as that is 6K you defiantely will never get back. At least with physical hardware (supercharger) you can sell it on with or without the car at a later date.

Soldato
OP
I think in a year or so you will regret the SC, especially when you get used to the power and you have reached the limit.

Given all of Gibbo's points, a K20 CRZ makes even more sense! You will have a uniqueish, rareish, CRZ with 200hp on a standard engine, an engine which is easy to get to 260hp N/A or the sky is the limit with forced induction. Drive it around in 5th gear everywhere and you will get good mpg.

I don't mind saving £6k for petrol because one day we will be FORCED to own an electric car the way to government/green idiots are going. Make the most of high revving petrol engines before they are illegal!

The 200lb isn't just the batteries but also the electric motor I believe.

Not true thouh, the forged connecting rods and pistons installed is another £2K which then means the sky is the limit power wise (supporting mods aside fuel pump, injectors etc) and would still be cheaper than a K20 CRZ swap

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;26399862 said:
Uniqueness serves no purpose and adds complication.

BHP obviously does serve a purpose.

Therefore bhp is clearly worth more than uniqueness.

It really depends on your view point.

Take your F10 for example. I saw at least 3 on the M6 this morning. An F10 owner is not looking for uniqueness, so to them it will serve no purpose. I know they are great cars and as a result are common. Yet I would not enjoy owning one for that same reason.

I love the looks my car gets and the interest it generates. Just look at this thread for example.

It's this uniqueness that keeps me interested in my vehicle and my passion for cars.

My car is already unique, putting a supercharger on it will not change that perception for 99% of people as it is not something different you can physically see from the exterior of the car. But for me, it will mean it's looks can now match it's grunt.

I had a great moment yesterday on the way home, with a father(I presum) and son(again I presume, who looked around 8 or 9) when I was stuck in traffic. They were in a DB9, private plate etc and the son was looking an pointing at my car, to which I can only assume he was saying so0me along the lines "look dad/uncle/stepdad at that car!". That was pretty good knowing that someone can be in an Aston Martin and yet give the little CRZ that "head turning" attention.

A FN2 type R wouldn't manage that(which is the closest thing to an SC CRZ) and Im pretty sure a 5 Series wouldn't either.

Those moments happen to me around 2 or 3 times a week, they may not be all postive. Who knows but I enjoy it and it's what makes the ownership on this car so worth it, something you cannot simply quantify on paper.

If we're talking value for money..... it doesnt really make sense.

Exactly. A K20 swap and conversion in the US for a CRZ costs $17,000. And it is far more of a common place over there.

A Supercharged set up is around $7000.

The K20 swap has not been done in the UK to a CRZ and is filled with uncertainties.

And the end result is a car with an second hand engine (most likely) available in a 2003 Civic.

The point is that for £8K you can get a forged CRZ supercharged and delivery over 300BHP.

It would cost you far more than that just to get a K20 in there, never mind about getting more power out of it then.

Mainfolds are not a straight bolt on as the space in the CRZ bay is completely different to the Civics, so a lot of custom fabrication is required.

It's not so simple and it is a far cry from the simple plug and play OEM-ness of the Mugen SC kit.

What supporting mods will you be doing Nath ? (brakes/suspension etc) ?

I am going to upgrade the brakes to 300mm discs over stock 262mm along with braided lines, uprated pads etc.

The car already sits on Eibach springs and has AD08 tyres all round. A fast road alignment should see the car sharpen up some more.

Other than that, nothing much is required.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure i'd need >£5k for a K20 install but that's me doing the labour I guess.

Do Hondata do anything for the Crz yet in terms of ECU control with boost?

Yep, thats the system the Mugen/HKS and Jackson use.

Case and pointtoday. Was just filling up at BP during lunch and the guy next to me asked what it was I was driving and said he'd never seen one before.

He was driving a mk1 focus of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom