CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
OP
How much is a genuine Mugen CRZ?

Anything between 18to22K from what I have seen.

Thats with the kits (which iv got), the SC (which I want), and sometimes wheels (which im not going to get, £800 each!).

However they come up very rarely.

There was one recently in black, full kit and SC'ed for 18K with 20k on the clock from a private seller.

Soldato
OP
Stop faffing and just buy a decent DC2. Both faster, more special and cheaper than this CRZ charged rubbish.

Then use the thousands saved for holidays, driving tuition, track days and hookers.

Ill throw in a suggestion and say Celica t-sport, newer than a dc2 plenty of good ones to choose from and plenty quick enough, i love mine but the only thing is practically but you'll be used to that. Fantastic owners club too i reckon you like that side of things

What you boys on about? Why would I buy an DC2 as a second car or a Corolla T Sport to replace my CRZ? neither are my cup of tea and don't meet the requirements.

It's like you read the thread, disregarded everything and then suggested your own cars!

Soldato
OP
I said Celica not corolla, you need the recommendations and help you drive a crz and want to spend nearly 6k on it

I don't even understand the last part of that sentence. Was it supposed to be some sort of dig?

Anyway, a celica would be a waste of time too and it is the same as the corolla but with a different body shell.

Soldato
OP
Saving money for 18k a year whilst sticking to petrol but no older than 2011 kinda locks most things out anyway. If you were interested in saving money you would entertain an older car, if you wanted comfy 18k miles them you would be pushed diesel.

Hence the catch 22, to a degree.

Yeah it was, he was implying that you need help because you own a CRZ, and because you are planning to spend money on it.

The benefit of being half idiot is that I speak the language :p

ha, what an SKN.

Soldato
OP
Its not a dig its stating the obvious, if you feel its a dig then maybe its because you know I'm right and don't like it, no matter how you look at it 6K modifying a car meant for economy is crazy

A couple of people including myself have suggested you consider older cars to achieve what you want but you've disregarding it, obviously that's fine but don't get your knickers in a twist over it

:cool:

This.

Spending near 6k on a tin can of a car is utter crazy.

meow

Does it have to be Japanese?

Preferably!

Soldato
OP
I am eager to hear what experience of the CRZ you have?

I just spent a good few minutes (wasted ones), reading through his posts and the overtone of negativity in every field/subject he talks about is devestatingly shameful.

So I will be taking no advice from him.

Given the age criteria and budget that probably explains your limited choice :)

Indeed!

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;26368927 said:
I think you should change it for an automatic diesel German saloon.

Whilst this makes me die alittle inside, it seems like the sensible choice.

The only German saloons I like are the CLS(which is old or too much £££ for the new one) or the E-Class. I love the look of the E-Class coupe and the engine in the E350 CDI seems pretty good, 230BHP and 40+mpg seems to be doing diesel right.

I imagine a large part of that 5700 quid is the Mugen scene tax. As much as Mugen stuff is pretty desirable - do Jackson or Comptech not do a kit? If so, are they any cheaper?

The jackson kit is £5300 inc VAT installed.

What was the problem with the Ralliart Sportback I suggested? I would regard it as a direct competitor to the MPS.

Haven't looked at that yet. Although my gut feeling is "not an EVO though" which is a shame as I'm sure it is a good car.

Soldato
OP
So you can spend 18-25k on a car doing only 18k per year and you're still worried about the fuel economy. But you would spend 5,7k on upgrade kit which only gets you around 75hp, no offence but to me this make no sense. I'm sure you'll quickly get bored of CRZ and you might (or might not) regret that you haven't bought a different car.

What I would do on your place, but don't listen to my advice as I haven't done my license yet :p

1. Keep CRZ, buy another car for weekends
2. Sell CRZ buy any car of the ones suggested
3. Keep the CRZ a little bit longer and then decide?

So far did you like any of the cars suggested? Japanese cars are great, but germans ain't bad either a nice e92 with 3.0 diesel wouldn't disappoint you ;)

18k is above average mileage and fuel isn't the only cost involved in higher mileage.

I have ran two cars before and it is hassle to be honest.

Well the plan is to do the conversion in dec. I have owned the car since 2012 and have done 22k since then however my daily mileage has increased a lot with my new job.

Soldato
OP
The mugen kit can go up to 350bhp in theory but beyond 250bhp the crz needs internal work.

Larger injectors and good exhaust system/intake can reach 250bhp

Some of these replies are missing the point. This isn't a quest for 200bhp in any car that they think fits the bill. Sure I could buy A 3k ep3 but then why would I?

Soldato
OP
HKS are considered a very reputable company in the Jap scene

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger kit (~175 PS) = £2183.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 1 kit (~200 PS) = £3283.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 2 kit (~200 PS+) = £3789.50

Then you need Hondata ECU on top which is £480 ex VAT then fitting & mapping which is around £1K.

So overall cost is hardly different.

FWIW you can get the jackson racing supercharger kit fully installed for £5.3K

For me I think Nathan could make a great car out of the CRZ, tune it to 220-240BHP, stick a pair of bucket seats in there, shorten the rear ratio and fit a diff, it would be a whole lot of fun. It would kind of be like a stage 1/2 supercharged Mini-GP and those things are great fun and great on track.

I am saying do it, because with the above it will be huge fun, very handy on track and road, but still retain the comfort and mpg's when just cruising to and from work. :)

See Gibbo gets it.

It's not about just putting more BHP through the car.

I'm gonna try and test drive the following this weekend:

- GT86
- Mazda3 MPS
- 370Z

I've already driven the GT86 & 370Z before but it was a while back.

The above cars my be out of budget but I can't see me settling for any of the other examples inbetween and being happy. So we will see how I feel as all of the above cars will cost considerably more to run and maintain so I have to really consider the costs involved.

I'm also going to try and get a test drive in a SC CRZ but that could take some time as they aren't common at all. I'm goign to do more research on the SC CRZ regarding power, economy. As one ofthe advantages is that the CRZ can maintain it's great economy whilst delivering increased performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom