• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Old video from when I first played around with Quake 2 RTX but RT water can be really nice - this is only scratching the surface of it:

EDIT: Can do some decent water effects in general though it needs something better than Quake 2 to show it off really:

Zkr5uMY.jpg

f5YUwPo.jpg

Last edited:
Old video from when I first played around with Quake 2 RTX but RT water can be really nice - this is only scratching the surface of it:

EDIT: Can do some decent water effects in general though it needs something better than Quake 2 to show it off really:

Zkr5uMY.jpg

f5YUwPo.jpg

Looks great as always. I fancy a play with this myself, where is best to start?

Yeah I've been clocking up some hours in Quake 2 RTX. When a game makes you stop and take screenshots :) I wondered why I kept missing my shots from land/water water/land, the light is all bent like a straw in a glass of water!! :) I might get Minecraft RTX next.. now there's something I didn't think I'd say.

I will get Cyberpunk one day but I want RTX on, DLSS sure, and 90fps. Control with DLSS upscaling at basically x2 is amazing, sure there are a few things where you can tell but 2.0 is really nice. Interesting that DLSS has to be updated in the game so there are some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that is stuck with DLSS 1.0 and is off by default for good reason, which is a shame because it needs it, with everything maxed even a 3070 struggles sometimes. And equally some games will be stuck with just 2.0 etc.

120fps+ (my opinion)

To gameplay? Less input lag, better control in general.
To Graphics? Nothing really, other than better temporal resolution

Because it's such a small improvement over 60fps in a single player game.

Give me 60fps with top-tier graphics, over 120fps with average graphics any day of the week for single player games.

Do you not feel the reduced input lag is beneficial in single player? Also what difficulty do you usually play at?
What about animations? Does high refresh rate improve animations?

Do you not feel the reduced input lag is beneficial in single player? Also what difficulty do you usually play at?
What about animations? Does high refresh rate improve animations?

Reduced input lag is useful in some titles, hence my earlier caveat about twitch gameplay and racing games.

I tend to play on hard difficulty.

High refresh rate often doesn't improve the animation as it's more often than not pre-calculated at 60fps.

Some games like Resident Evil 2 remake even use lower FPS for far away zombie animations so it really wouldn't matter if you used a higher refresh rate in something like that.

I wonder what was changed since then. So in 2013 in an AMD sponsored game made with Unreal Engine, you were able to put in your game really good water reflections. And everything reflected here is what you see when you look around. Really well made, you don't see anything weird. There is even a scared bird flying and being reflected in the water but let's say it is not real time reflected, it is an animation they inserted in there, you walk, the bird will fly and you can see it reflected.

But why do we think the nearby geometry is not reflected this way in 2020 games? Why do we think everything is ray traced now? Or let's say that everything is indeed ray traced now. Why do we need to kill our graphic cards when it is so easy to do it in traditional way.
You can buy the whole Bioshock collection from Steam for $12 now and look for yourself, it is right at the beginning of the gameplay (first 15 minutes). The game also has other stunning effects which shows how many things some talented creators can do with limited resources. Again this game ran on PS3.

I wonder what was changed since then. So in 2013 in an AMD sponsored game made with Unreal Engine, you were able to put in your game really good water reflections. And everything reflected here is what you see when you look around. Really well made, you don't see anything weird. There is even a scared bird flying and being reflected in the water but let's say it is not real time reflected, it is an animation they inserted in there, you walk, the bird will fly and you can see it reflected.

But why do we think the nearby geometry is not reflected this way in 2020 games? Why do we think everything is ray traced now? Or let's say that everything is indeed ray traced now. Why do we need to kill our graphic cards when it is so easy to do it in traditional way.
You can buy the whole Bioshock collection from Steam for $12 now and look for yourself, it is right at the beginning of the gameplay (first 15 minutes). The game also has other stunning effects which shows how many things some talented creators can do with limited resources. Again this game ran on PS3.

I used a trick to do this in DX7 - I'll see if I still have it - you basically re-render the scene every few frames to create a cubic environment map - it only really works on short to medium distance flat planes or smudged on more complex geometry.

I used a trick to do this in DX7 - I'll see if I still have it - you basically re-render the scene every few frames to create a cubic environment map - it only really works on short to medium distance flat planes or smudged on more complex geometry.

You did this in DX7, wow. So this was a rasterisation based workaround to achieve a similar effect?

You did this in DX7, wow. So this was a rasterisation based workaround to achieve a similar effect?

There is nothing particularly clever about it - you just re-render the scene into an off screen buffer either from the player's position or a probe usually simplified, lower resolution and more limited draw distance and sometimes at a lower update rate than the main camera and then use that as an environment map - it works well enough if you don't look too closely and/or can control how the player can interact with it - being on a flat horizontal plane helps, and for closer range stuff.

Can't find my implementation quickly - was like 20 years ago - but this is someone else's implementation of it using purely DX7:

Rz3Qqxq.png

There is nothing particularly clever about it - you just re-render the scene into an off screen buffer either from the player's position or a probe usually simplified, lower resolution and more limited draw distance and sometimes at a lower update rate than the main camera and then use that as an environment map - it works well enough if you don't look too closely and/or can control how the player can interact with it - being on a flat horizontal plane helps, and for closer range stuff.

Can't find my implementation quickly - was like 20 years ago - but this is someone else's implementation of it using purely DX7:

Rz3Qqxq.png

I figured that was more or less how reflections worked with rasterisation. However from memory you got very little of that back in DX7 days.

I figured that was more or less how reflections worked with rasterisation. However from memory you got very little of that back in DX7 days.

Yeah it was expensive on performance as you were re-rendering the scene potentially multiple times and from different angles to the player's perspective so most games just used precomputed versions of it using multiple probes and maybe rendered in a few animated objects in real time separately and fudged them in.

Ultimately it has many limitations that ray tracing doesn't and can only be used in a controlled manner usually very sparingly like in Bioshock Infinite though their implementation is a bit more elegant.

Yeah it was expensive on performance as you were re-rendering the scene potentially multiple times and from different angles to the player's perspective so most games just used precomputed versions of it using multiple probes and maybe rendered in a few animated objects in real time separately and fudged them in.

Ultimately it has many limitations that ray tracing doesn't and can only be used in a controlled manner usually very sparingly like in Bioshock Infinite though their implementation is a bit more elegant.

Rz3Qqxq.png
It looks cool and if you don't see weird things as you more/turn around, i don't see why i should be impressed when i see textures reflected in puddles even if they call them RT these days. :)
Can you build on it, like adding real time animations without seeing wierd things? Bioshock have 3 people in that pool and at least a bird animated/reflected.
Really you should try this game was so ahead of its time. The rain looks also spectacular and has nice light effects too. And it costs like 5 bucks on steam, 12 for the whole collection.

Back
Top Bottom