D&D 5e, starting a game soon, any DM's have tips?

Soldato
Just going to say, you always confuse Darvin and Galath not Galath and Dwon... :p

That was the early days, I’m fine with Darvin now after we had the sessions without Galath. Just the Galath and Dwon confusion for me now.
You volunteered first thing, didn't you?

I've actually been surprised by my availability - I really thought my wife would kick off at having two D&D sessions a week, but she's been ok so far :D

I did, but no one ever volunteers to DM so it was my only chance, loved it though!

So does anyone on gear read the blog apart from you lot who play anyway?

Soldato
I did, but no one ever volunteers to DM so it was my only chance, loved it though!

At the beginning I had no desire to DM, mainly because my D&D experience was severely limited so makes being a DM difficult. The more we play though the more I'm wanting to do a few sessions as DM, although think I prefer being a player still :D

Associate
Pre-written or even semi pre-written adventures will get you off to a good start. Just make sure the story makes sense (unlike ours which actually ruined the game a lil) Ah well xD

Soldato
Well for those who are reading sitting on the blog at the moment and releasing wave echo cave as a one shot as it’s spanned a few sessions.

Will also do a separate RP release at the same time dealing with the LMoP post events some of which I still haven’t wrote and we will be getting into on Thursday. Hurrah for my garbage organisational skills at the moment :p

Soldato
You could just try the general roll20 boards though it’s a free for all as there are a lot more players to DM’s.

Unfortunately the group I’m running is full, we’re at 6 which is a stretch as it is. We tried 7 at first and when we had all 7 online it was completely unmanageable for me (as DM)

Soldato
You could just try the general roll20 boards though it’s a free for all as there are a lot more players to DM’s.

Unfortunately the group I’m running is full, we’re at 6 which is a stretch as it is. We tried 7 at first and when we had all 7 online it was completely unmanageable for me (as DM)

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Hope your game goes well.

Soldato
Well the initial DnD group campaign finished last night!

It was supposed to just be a quick LMoP run to settle players in but it ended up morphing into a much larger homebrew with LMoP at the core.

It ended last night with one of the PC’s Galath, having revealed his wife was in a coma needing healing, the party went to a ruined temple and rescued a reliquary of a god to utilise for its healing power. They were hindered by Mordred an ex PC who was murdered by the rest of the group and then resurrected for revenge.

Had side stories about families, political troubles in Neverwinter (which we never got to fully explore) mysterious groups, seeking to rebuild Phandalin and Hendel getting an inn renamed after dragging a dragons head cross country to sell :D

I’m never going to be able to finish the write up properly but I will put up a slightly more fleshed out conslusion in the blog as it was great fun.

I’m stepping back now as DM due to real life responsibilities but Shami is stepping up and I’m dropping into a players role now. It will continue in the same world with 3 of the original 6 group continuing with myself and two re-rolls joining the group. Onward and upward!

Soldato
Want to thank you Dave for all the time and effort that you put into this its been thoroughly enjoyable despite your crazy ability to roll crits and drop masonary at will

Caporegime
Indeed, was a fitting end to a fun introduction to D&D for me. I was reading through LMoP the other night and realising how many things we missed!

Now power is mine *insert evil laugh here*

As Dave said we'll be moving on to a new campaign with some new characters joining up with some of the continuing characters. We'll be running a modified version of Storm King's Thunder.

I don't think I'll be bringing as many crits as Dave so I might need to include more monsters to keep it balanced :p

Associate
Yes, thanks for running the show Dave.
It was a very fun intro campaign with all of the homebrew modifications.

I had to try completely erase my mind for parts of the campaign as I've run LMoP before, I may have purposefully/subconsciously steered towards some of the danger though...

Indeed, was a fitting end to a fun introduction to D&D for me. I was reading through LMoP the other night and realising how many things we missed!

Now power is mine *insert evil laugh here*

As Dave said we'll be moving on to a new campaign with some new characters joining up with some of the continuing characters. We'll be running a modified version of Storm King's Thunder.

I don't think I'll be bringing as many crits as Dave so I might need to include more monsters to keep it balanced :p
It'll be interesting to see how the new characters get integrated into the party.
I guess we can say that the others who retired have gone to travel with Galath to deliver/protect the relic... or Hendel ate them too.

I'll send an update of my character sheet over the weekend with the revised Druid Circle from Xanathar's Guide, I'll tidy up my extra background notes and send that across as well in case you decide to bring in people from our pasts as well.

You know there's a button on the GM's end of Roll20 to have auto crits right? :D

Soldato
Been my pleasure. I have pages and pages of notes for the extended campaign (which would have been based around Neverwinter) but not going to get the chance sadly, but i’ll keep it on the back burner for future.

I’ll liaise with Shami to write the exits, i’ll Let him handle the intro’s!

Back
Top Bottom