D&D 5e, starting a game soon, any DM's have tips?

Soldato
Never, ever played a dragonborn before though I have plenty of Pala experience.

I'll just damn you all to hell for having fun and playing a stupid game when you should be in church, how's that for accurate RP'ing :p

Soldato
I'm on there, can't see any character sheets but I am probably missing something, been a long while since I have used Roll20.

It is a good job I logged in to test this as I just realised I have not got a working microphone at the moment so will have to get myself out tomorrow and buy one! :)

Soldato
I'm on there, can't see any character sheets but I am probably missing something, been a long while since I have used Roll20.

It is a good job I logged in to test this as I just realised I have not got a working microphone at the moment so will have to get myself out tomorrow and buy one! :)

Join the game and on the right are a row of icons at the top. Second one looks like notepads/sheets of paper. It brings up the characters. Click on yours, choose edit and rename! You should see my character is no longer called "Elf wizard"!

Soldato
Well after a year of looking for a D&D group I have a regular one at last! I'm a DM not a player which isn't ideal but loved it flap far. Got a group of 5 people who never played before my wife, her 2 brother's and her 2 cousins and they have completely embraced it and gone for it RP wise. Character wise we have;

It, a dwarf fighter of indeterminate sex who is grossly overweight and has anger issues.

Father Jack. An alcoholic handling cleric who missed most turns drinking and has a fetish for collecting eyes which he keeps on a loop round his neck.

Stealthy Jo, an eleven ranger who once had a normal name and now known as stealthy Joe for the fact I don't think she has yet passed a stealth check since we have started and hardly ever hits with her bow.

Margaret The Mighty, once known as Magrither no one could be bothered to learn his name spends pretty much every round asking every enemy and NPC He meets if they know what Searing Smite does.

Wand Man, a wannabe tactical genius who gets every big call wrong and who is also completely paranoid by this point and will debate everything into the ground before making a decision.

Unfortunately can only play once every 4 weeks as one of the lads works away on ships but still it's great to have a group At last. Got them play testing a hole baked adventure of mine, 16 hours and they are level 3 at the end of the 2nd chapter (they aren't the fastest, they tend to maniacally off reservation at times) start the 3rd chapter next month. Thinking of putting this up on DMguild if it continues running as smoothly as it is its campaign based on Mammon/Minauros and a cult which worships them.

Soldato
Finally, for those who don't know Roll20 too well, you can download the PDF for the entire adventure here:
https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/23/the-masters-vault

The first few pages are dedicated to how to control your character, and how to use Roll20 effectively. If you have a chance, please check it out. There is a clear line where it asks non-DMs to stop, though :D

Just to add, that the module itself has a series of journal entries I can share through the game which explain exactly how to do everything you need to do, include attack, cast spells, make ability checks, etc... - we'll decide tonight whether or not to use them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I would prefer 1930. I have 2 kids and if I can get at least one down it will placate my wife somewhat :p

If it needs to be earlier I will live with the pain though.

Associate
Yeah any time is cool with me. I'll make sure we're online just before 18:30 but don't mind if we're waiting around for everyone to join.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a voice function through the roll20 client or are we running something else to talk?

Got a mic, can hear through it, not sure if it will pick up anything I say though :p

Soldato
There is built-in comms through Roll20 - I'm just testing mine now.
If there's a problem, we can use the in-game chat though.

Also, just get in the game when you can. If everyone can try and get there at any point from now on, we'll get cracking with intros - there's also a little flashback at the beginning which might take a good 45 minutes and it's more of an intro to 5e on Roll20 than anything else - we'll do that.

Back
Top Bottom