Dark Souls 3

Hope some new drivers come out then before next week

Quote from a review

"Every level is not only full of breathtaking architectural marvels and the most minute environmental embellishments, but also dense with things to do and see from moment to moment. But those views are more intense than Dark Souls 3 can handle – dramatic framerate dips (which we saw even on an ultra-high-end PC with two GeForce GTX Titan Zs) caused a lot of these fantastic looking areas to drag along, sometimes down to 20 to 25 FPS. But the rest of the time, when it is running at a smooth 60 (on PC only), Dark Souls 3 is a sight to see."

Doesn't say what res though.

I am prepared for an upgrade tbh. I had a decent Radeon 4850(that ran everything at the time, brilliantly), but Dark Souls had terrible frame rate issues, couldn't play it. Runs with sweet mods now lovely on my 970, but it's a pretty old game :( I want to play this maxed out in 1080p on my 970, but have a nasty feeling I'll need more power or wait for mods.

If it's really bad, then it'll be the xbox one for me.

Could also be that SLi doesnt work yet? With two Titan Z you are running 4 way SLI with down clocked original Titan GPUs. If SLI doesn't work they are essentially running on a single underclocked GK110 chip. If thats the case then a 970 will outperform that setup.
Benchmarks just released here:

http://gamegpu.com/rpg/роллевые/dark-souls-iii-test-gpu

Shows that SLI is working great. You have to check out the 4k bench to see it though, as the game is capped at 60fps and a single 980Ti can handle that at 1440p just fine.

Obviously these benches weren't run in the one notorious problematic area, though. Looking at the CPU load spread, it seems the game is quite heavy on a single core. This doesn't seem to have any effect on the vast majority of the game, but I would guess that the one area where things drop even on super high end setups is running into a CPU limitation there, quite possibly due to this heavy balance towards the single core usage.

This is a bit surprising for a game that was developed in tandem with XB1 and PS4, but it seems like a pretty minor issue on the whole so long as its limited to a small part of the game. Everything looks quite impressive otherwise, optimization-wise. I grant that it's maybe not the most impressive looking game for the performance it requires, but when compared to how it runs on consoles, it's more than reasonable.

I am prepared for an upgrade tbh. I had a decent Radeon 4850(that ran everything at the time, brilliantly), but Dark Souls had terrible frame rate issues, couldn't play it. Runs with sweet mods now lovely on my 970, but it's a pretty old game :( I want to play this maxed out in 1080p on my 970, but have a nasty feeling I'll need more power or wait for mods.

If it's really bad, then it'll be the xbox one for me.
God no man, your 970 will be fine. The framerate issues in DS3 are apparently limited to a small part of the game.

Benchmarks just released here:

http://gamegpu.com/rpg/роллевые/dark-souls-iii-test-gpu

Shows that SLI is working great. You have to check out the 4k bench to see it though, as the game is capped at 60fps and a single 980Ti can handle that at 1440p just fine.

Obviously these benches weren't run in the one notorious problematic area, though. Looking at the CPU load spread, it seems the game is quite heavy on a single core. This doesn't seem to have any effect on the vast majority of the game, but I would guess that the one area where things drop even on super high end setups is running into a CPU limitation there, quite possibly due to this heavy balance towards the single core usage.

This is a bit surprising for a game that was developed in tandem with XB1 and PS4, but it seems like a pretty minor issue on the whole so long as its limited to a small part of the game. Everything looks quite impressive otherwise, optimization-wise. I grant that it's maybe not the most impressive looking game for the performance it requires, but when compared to how it runs on consoles, it's more than reasonable.

God no man, your 970 will be fine. The framerate issues in DS3 are apparently limited to a small part of the game.

Good to know! I have a 980Ti myself so wasn't worried about the performance to be honest. Dark souls one still had drops in blighttown on PC and it didn't effect my enjoyment of the game at all so I'm not worried about the occasional drop. Just a bloody shame i'm in Munich for work next week so wont be able to play on release :mad:

I hope so mate.
Honestly, the place that is largely causing issues on the PC version also causes issues on the consoles.

TBH its a game where 30/45fps are acceptable and consistency makes for better experience than sheer fps
I dont agree at all. The difference between 30fps and 60fps in Souls games is game-changing. Going from DS1 and DS2 at 60fps to Bloodborne was hard to deal with. And I did not 'get used to it'. I merely tolerated it because the game was really good. I haven't reviewed it in final yet, but the performance is going to mean a docked point or so for Bloodborne. Souls games are too action heavy to be good at 30fps and Bloodborne is an even faster take on the series. Dark Souls 3 is also faster than the other Souls games, so 60fps will definitely make a difference, without a doubt.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this, pre-ordered and bought a new controller :-)

The Steam controller?

I was going to get the bundle (still can i suppose) but i bottled it last moment and got the solo pre-order. Would be nice to have a completely pain free PC controller to fall back on when standard xbox ones dont play nice, though it likely uses xbox drivers anyway.

The Steam controller?

I was going to get the bundle (still can i suppose) but i bottled it last moment and got the solo pre-order. Would be nice to have a completely pain free PC controller to fall back on when standard xbox ones dont play nice, though it likely uses xbox drivers anyway.

Razer Wildcat actually. It's got a nice solid well made feel and nice clicky buttons.

So where do I want to pre-order this from? Want a key that can be used to activate on Steam but I remember reading some mumbo-jumbo about Bandai having a better deal direct?

Heres a link to bandi website

https://store.darksouls3.com/uk#/cart

Sign in with steam on that page,and you should get the game for £33.33.

You need to have ds1 or ds2 in you steam account to get the full discount.

Also the email i got said the game will unlock on the 12th april,so dont think i will get the steam key before that date.

Last edited:
Razer Wildcat actually. It's got a nice solid well made feel and nice clicky buttons.

Nice controller but i avoid razer now. Use to have a lot of their stuff but lack of driver fixes and updates annoyed me to no end. They seem to spend a lot of attention on flagship products but their mid and low range gets nothing after release and dealing with game-pad drivers are a pain if you have issues and just want to play a new game.

I use xbox controllers and logitch f710, since they both use windows in built xbox drivers and play nice with most games, although i have the odd game where the D pad decides to do whatever the hell it wants.

They better have good AMD Crossfire support. My CPU (i5 6600k) at 4.8Ghz will be more than ample. But if only one of my 290x is supported i cant play it in 4k glory :(

Heres a link to bandi website

https://store.darksouls3.com/uk#/cart

Sign in with steam on that page,and you should get the game for £33.33.

You need to have ds1 or ds2 in you steam account to get the full discount.

Also the email i got said the game will unlock on the 12th april,so dont think i will get the steam key before that date.

I'm hoping that is just a timezone issue and their website not changing that date based on location? Either way I won't be able to play until 13th so no issue for me ;)

Cheers

FWIW I use an Xbox 360 controller that I've had for years, never had any issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom