Dark Souls 3

Soldato
Think I'm near the end now. I do love it but I'm disappointed in pretty much all of the bosses. Some of them are well designed but then they cheapen them by adding smaller enemies or other factors that are just annoying. DS2 got criticised for that, I'm surprised they did it again.

Soldato
I was pretty impressed by a few to be honest, especially the optional area end boss.

I really enjoyed the Abyss Watchers, Dancer, Twin Princes, the optional area last boss and of course the final boss

Soldato
Cheers for that mate, I was thinking about making my sword a fire one as I had some gems. I'm still not understanding the numbers though. With fire does that mean it does 117 normal damage and 117 fire damage? If it does, I guess that's an upgrade. Unless I come against a fire monster with resistances :D

This is true, but most enemies in the game have trouble with fire! I'd wait till a new merchant turns up at Firelink Shrine and buy the ******* Sword, it is the lightest great sword and requires less stats then all the others(maybe not the claymore). It has awesome power, and I'd make it a Raw Weapon, meaning all damage it deals is physical. You should also have a frost sword by now, which I love, but upgrades with the rare twinkling titanite, I'd upgrade that as your sword skills will be honed and you'll do well. Good luck!

Soldato
Yes, just download the exe file you need from that thread then edit the config file in your appdata folder to the correct resolution and windowed, not full screen. Set it to read only after you're done. Load the game, hit alt enter and it should work.

Soldato
I started an alt yesterday.

On my first char, I died about 10 times to each boss, and plenty of times to trash mobs too, but amazingly on my alt, I'm half way through the undead village, and I haven't died once yet! Even managed to take out katana bro first time without cheesing him, though I'll admit I skipped the crystal lizard thing lol.

Just goes to show how much of the game is about gittin gud I guess.

Soldato
I started an alt yesterday.

On my first char, I died about 10 times to each boss, and plenty of times to trash mobs too, but amazingly on my alt, I'm half way through the undead village, and I haven't died once yet! Even managed to take out katana bro first time without cheesing him, though I'll admit I skipped the crystal lizard thing lol.

Just goes to show how much of the game is about gittin gud I guess.

It's all about skill, and a bit of brain power as to what you equip. The skill area is exactly the same as when I played Ghosts 'N Goblins in the early 90s on the Megadrive.

Associate
This is true, but most enemies in the game have trouble with fire! I'd wait till a new merchant turns up at Firelink Shrine and buy the ******* Sword, it is the lightest great sword and requires less stats then all the others(maybe not the claymore). It has awesome power, and I'd make it a Raw Weapon, meaning all damage it deals is physical. You should also have a frost sword by now, which I love, but upgrades with the rare twinkling titanite, I'd upgrade that as your sword skills will be honed and you'll do well. Good luck!

I've took the plunge and have a +4 fire sword now, seems decent! I have no frost sword though. I got an item which can enchant my weapon but I don't have enough int to use it. Forgot what it's called now...

edit - this thing - http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Magic+Weapon not a clue what to do with it. I don't think I can use it with a shield from what I can gather searching on websites.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've took the plunge and have a +4 fire sword now, seems decent! I have no frost sword though. I got an item which can enchant my weapon but I don't have enough int to use it. Forgot what it's called now...

edit - this thing - http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Magic+Weapon not a clue what to do with it. I don't think I can use it with a shield from what I can gather searching on websites.

Put a staff on the quick slot with your shield. Switch to the staff, cast the buff while having a weapon equipped, switch back to shield. The buff lasts for a minute or 2 but it doesn't work on all weapons.

Soldato

That is a spell that you need an attunement slot for(you will have one if started with knight) and intelligence 10. You'll need a staff in your shield hand to cast the spell, but will no work on any infused weapons. I'd use a talisman and the heal spell for the attunement slot you have, you have the stats to use it now.

Associate
So I've finished my first playthrough now, and I've not really changed my mind from my earlier posts.

The game is fine, because it's a Souls game and followed a tried and tested template. With that said, there wasn't anything new or innovative about this iteration and it definitely started to feel a bit stale and samey as I got further in. A lot of the bosses felt a bit undertuned too. I'm not a particularly good Souls player, but I think I got about half of the bosses down in 2-3 goes and one shotted several of them.

Seeing review scores of 9.5/10 and people calling this the game of the year just totally blows my mind. I found it reasonable for a single playthrough, but I don't have any desire to push into NG+ or anything.

Permabanned
[ui]ICEMAN;29411079 said:
Yes, just download the exe file you need from that thread then edit the config file in your appdata folder to the correct resolution and windowed, not full screen. Set it to read only after you're done. Load the game, hit alt enter and it should work.

Can't find the link to the exe file but I might of missed it and not realised

Soldato
I got a controller for this game and I just don't see what's good about it. I can do the tricky moves such as kick and jump attack with the keyboard easily, I configured all the useful keys around WASD and everything works.

The controller key configuration is good but the stick controlled camera is very annoying, the mouse camera is smooth and natural.. The controller was mandatory in DS1 and it made things easier in DS2 due to the heavy attack double click but now I just don't see its advantages.

Soldato
Can't find the link to the exe file but I might of missed it and not realised

The read only bit is kinda crucial for the .exe file and ensure you open up with windowed mode.

It is worth noting that the softban hammer came out yesterday, and multiple posters on both Steam and Reddit are stating that they have been softbanned. The message pops up on the opening title screen once the game has completed its save data and server checks.

WiAa7qm.png

a lot of people are claiming that they have not cheated and have been banned (I have some scepticism with this) but so far the tin hat brigade are speculating that the following is 'potentially' causing issues.

1)Corrupted save files (either from a hack or a BSOD crash)
2)Cheat engine (obviously)
3)Controller software (some peeps claiming that an xbox controller has softbanned them!)......doubtful....a lot are also claiming that PS controller software has
4)Shadowplay

Nothing reported in the 2000+ posts yet on the 21:9 hex edit fix, but this is MAYBE because From software harvested their 'data' before the fix came into place (somewhere between 1.03 and 1.04) and this fix has been only out for two or three days.Maybe 21:9 hex editers (myself included) will be picked up in the next softban hammer sweep.

At the moment if this is true, and ANY mod (technically anything cheat or not is against the T&Cs and end user agreement)triggers a softban then the softban server will have a significant population anyway, so effectively online play will not be impacted.

I weighed up my options like this assuming that I do get softbanned eventually for this fix. Does playing without black borders outweigh the inability to play on the 'legit non softban' server? For me.....yes. I cant stand them.

Knowledge of the ban is also relevant here. DS2 and SOTFS did not make it obvious if you were softbanned. I modded the hell outta both of them with graphic tweaks for my monitor (FW etc), was I softbanned? Honestly I have no idea...I could still summon and be summoned....did I still enjoy both games? Hell yes!

For me I will continue. I post on WSGF quite regularly and will update there if I get softbanned (others are going to do the same)....so watch that space.

Permabanned
[ui]ICEMAN;29411079 said:

Thanks. Ive got it working now and it looks glorious. I will quite happily take the ban over those black bars any day :)

Soldato
If people are going to mess about with save files, then they cant cry when the softban hammer comes down, especially as it was a well known thing in DS2, and FROM have probably got much better at detecting it since then.

Nearing the end I believe, as have just done Giant and Dancer, both fights were crazy cool but not overly difficult. The giant one in particular has a nice awesome mechanic.

Soldato
Been using Dark Sword, seems really nice and the special move thing is great! Is it quite rare? Looked the weapon up and found a farming guid for it i mus have got lucky as i got it from the first enemie of its type i killed!

On farron boss atm and also at the door of the other areas boss, its stepped up in difficulty now :)

Back
Top Bottom