Dashcams!

Associate
Well, the Garmin has gone back as it started randomly shutting off and eventually wouldn't turn off at all and displayed the Garmin splash screen permanently. Disappointing as when it was working it was perfect. So now waiting for the Thinkware F770 (front only) to come and see how that goes. .

Soldato
I don't know if I dreamt this, but was there a dash cam that was integrated into the electrics of the rain sensor. Like the camera and SD card slot was under the rain sensor.

Does that exist? My fiesta has a bulky rear mirror connection attached with a plastic shroud.

I've seen a dashcam that's been fitted to an E85 Z4 using the rain sensor +12V DC wiring located in the plastic surround of the rear view mirror. The USB power supply uses the +12V DC (or maybe +5V, can't remember!) and then a short amount of cable protrudes from the surround and plugs into the camera which is mounted using a 3M sticky pad in front of the mirror.

Associate
recently treated myself to a Mazda3 Sport Nav and got the 412GW hardwired at the same time.
Quite impressed with it myself, I've not excessively used it but I did try to save a video when driving but when hooking the SD card up to the computer the video file didn't show under the 'protected' folder.. The cam beeped and flashed when I pressed the button thou.
Anyone else had that??

Associate
I've seen a dashcam that's been fitted to an E85 Z4 using the rain sensor +12V DC wiring located in the plastic surround of the rear view mirror. The USB power supply uses the +12V DC (or maybe +5V, can't remember!) and then a short amount of cable protrudes from the surround and plugs into the camera which is mounted using a 3M sticky pad in front of the mirror.

Which is exactly how mine is connected! Tap a live off the rain sensor cabling, and earth on the windscreen surround. Job done, and a very neat job of I do say so myself!

Associate
So my new car supports apple car play which means I can now use Apple Maps and play audible books, amazon music, spotify etc simultaneously.
Unfortunately I'm unable to dash cam record whilst doing two of the above, third world problems eh?! (was using iOS app and my iPhone 7 in £2 ebay dock before).

Now looking at a dedicated solution with front/rear cameras and also parking mode.
I also need something fairly discreet/ not suction cupped because of the massive mirror footprint on my new car.

Thinkware F770 as above seems to fit the bill, but as said the F800 should be due soon.. Wonder if this will bring the price of F770 down.
Are there any competitor products that have this functionality I might have missed?

Associate
Bought my partner the Nextbase 412GW as she's fancied a dash cam for a while. I'm intending to hardwire it in to her Mito, tapping into the fuse box. Stuck it in the car using the cigarette lighter adapter to test it out first. The video quality seems very good. But when on the move, there is a lot of camera shake. Real shame as I was hoping it'd capture some nice scenic shots from a road trip we're planning to go on.
Anyone experienced this and come up with a solution? Is the suction mount the issue and can anyone suggest an alternative?

Associate
I'm thinking of picking up a dashcam, had a couple of close calls recently and also seen a fair few "strange things".

I am swaying towards an anker roav, just a shame it doesnt have GPS. Anyone tried one?

Soldato
Well, the Garmin has gone back as it started randomly shutting off and eventually wouldn't turn off at all and displayed the Garmin splash screen permanently. Disappointing as when it was working it was perfect. So now waiting for the Thinkware F770 (front only) to come and see how that goes. .

My DashCam 55 is proving to be a tad unreliable as well; have had several occasions where it's just locked up and required a power cycle to get it back to life. It's a shame as it's a great little unit when it's working, but these issues seem far too prevalent.

I stumped up for the parking mode cable as well, so loathed to send it back too soon.

Soldato
I'm thinking of picking up a dashcam, had a couple of close calls recently and also seen a fair few "strange things".

I am swaying towards an anker roav, just a shame it doesnt have GPS. Anyone tried one?

I've got one recently on offer.

very decent built quality, seems to be reliable enough in the week or so I've had it - aka starts up, records, emergency video works etc. mount is very slim and secure. Easy to remove too and wifi software does the job.

I'll upload a video for you to youtube and you can decide what you think of the quality.

I'll put it this way, it is adequate but not amazing.

then again I did only pay £49 for it.

Associate
Bought my partner the Nextbase 412GW as she's fancied a dash cam for a while. I'm intending to hardwire it in to her Mito, tapping into the fuse box. Stuck it in the car using the cigarette lighter adapter to test it out first. The video quality seems very good. But when on the move, there is a lot of camera shake. Real shame as I was hoping it'd capture some nice scenic shots from a road trip we're planning to go on.
Anyone experienced this and come up with a solution? Is the suction mount the issue and can anyone suggest an alternative?

Hey there

Contact Nextbase support via their website chat thingy & they will send you a nice little self adhesive mount for free.

Hope this helps.

Cheers all

Associate
My DashCam 55 is proving to be a tad unreliable as well; have had several occasions where it's just locked up and required a power cycle to get it back to life. It's a shame as it's a great little unit when it's working, but these issues seem far too prevalent.

I stumped up for the parking mode cable as well, so loathed to send it back too soon.

Ditto and they are not cheap, really annoyed with that as well and thought Garmin would be reliable. However the Thinkware is actually better and manages recordings really well, Plus it also has a timer for parking mode and you can set it to shut off if the batter voltage drops below a certain point.

*edit* Just been looking and the Nextbase dash cam hard wire kit looks like it is the same thing so looks like it may be possible to get some of the cost back. The Thinkware has a different connector.

Last edited:
Associate
FYI, Nextbase are sending me out a sticky mount after I emailed and sent them some sample footage. Hopefully this should solve the whole camera shake issue.

Thank you roman59 for the tip off! :)

That's good sure it will cure the wobble, just make sure its in the right place before you stick the mount to the screen.

Also if you have the blacks dots at the top of your screen the mount will stick to those no problem.

The Nextbase polarizer filter is worth getting too, it really cuts down the reflections on the inside of the screen especially the long air vent across the dash ;)

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom