Dawn of War 3?

Soldato
Had an epic 3vs3 last night, lots of attacks and rebuffs, culminating in us launching a full suite of elites: knights, terminators, the lot, artillery etc, drop pods flying everywhere, but they held on and counter attacked in kind and wrecked us. It was awesome

Associate
I'm on the line about getting this, now I know opinions are subjective but I really enjoyed dow2 and hated dow1. I liked how 2 concentrated on combat and not building although I got my ass kicked. I remember from the last one- what ruined it for me was people looking at your stats and leaving if not impressed, is that likely to be the same here? I'M assuming late arrivals will have more of a hard time than early adopters.

Soldato
Definitely has moba aspects. Even the map layouts all form channels. :(

As do most RTS games... I am not sure how the MOBA comments are really coming into it? Other than the animations on some units

If you mean special units or even units in general having abilities you click and use then they were also in the previous games and not exactly MOBA specific.

Soldato
Had some good games last night. I struggle to get my early game right. I think I invest too much in economy structures and upgrades too early and end up losing them. Once I get going I can take the points back, but a failed attack usually loses the game for me

Soldato
Will be on sale in less than a month guaranteed

By sale you mean cheaper than £30 which you can get it from most cdkey sites? I'd be surprised, Warhammer titles always tend to stay at the higher price end.

Hmm so it's not very good then? I've not reviewed it up as I don't like to risk spoilers.

The campaign is nothing special, the gameplay itself is fun, maybe a tad micro heavy. I think the comparison to MOBA's are a bit overstated.

I for one didn't like the direction DOW 2 (despite enjoying it as a game in its own right) as it felt more like an aRPG with small unit caps/no base building/loot drops etc.

I'd say DOW3 is a jack of all trades master of none currently. It's tried to blend DOW 1 and 2 but not quite hit the spot. I suspect this will be refined and improved with expansions so unless you're desperate to play it I'd hold off for now. I don't personally agree with the rampant criticism it's getting on steam. I think the critical reviews are right in that it's flawed but fun.

Soldato
DoW was awesome, several expansions that were great too. I shivered when I heard DoW II was moving away from RTS, "how could they scrap such a winning formula!" but there wasn't any need for concern because the game worked really really well and I loved it, and again some great expansions. Now DoW III and when I heard it's going back to an RTS I thought "how could they scrap such a winning formula!" DoW II was awesome.

DoW III lies in the middle, it's a teeny bit scaled back from DoW and so obviously it's not as much as a hero elite game DoW II was since you build bases and armies.

Soldato
Bought this, despite the reviews because I'm such a DoW fan boy.
Mission 1, I hated.
Mission 2, the game started to grow on me, just love Ork personality.
Mission 3, really getting into things, love the shields and the webways.
Mission 4, I'm bored again.

I'll keep ploughing through it, but it does make me want to install Dark Crusade again.
A mate got the DoW2 base game and we did some co-op on that yesterday, forgot how fun it was, despite being a different game from the original.

Associate
I've played 2 online games and enjoyed it One thing I did notice thou is this game is very very easy ! You only have 4 base buildings for new tech & upgrades, it's got a lot of negative views because it's not like the other Sega RTS games. They have tried something different on this one , I like the fact you can't base Rush anymore , it makes sense & makes for a great battle

Back
Top Bottom