***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Permabanned
Rule no1 in Dayz, Don't get attached to your gear!:D

I dont but being wiped by a server 2 times in a row is annoying, its not the gear its my time that is precious. Still ive killed so many high level players on this game that ive lost count so not a problem. I am getting bored of it now though of the running over large distances, gonna take a break and play some other stuff. I wont be playing RUST either as thats gone completely boring. Tbh i wish i never bought RUST.

Soldato
I dont but being wiped by a server 2 times in a row is annoying, its not the gear its my time that is precious. Still ive killed so many high level players on this game that ive lost count so not a problem. I am getting bored of it now though of the running over large distances, gonna take a break and play some other stuff. I wont be playing RUST either as thats gone completely boring. Tbh i wish i never bought RUST.

Not quite sure what you mean about 'time', That's the thing about this game once you have geared up there is not much to do..

Caporegime
sometimes your char isnt wiped ! sometimes it might say you dead but you arnt try another server instead.

at this early stage as pointed out don't get mad if it does happen though.

Caporegime
some interesting stuff in this for those who havent seen it.

about 18mins in he mentions about vehicles. most likely bike will be first and could be done soon.needs tidying up.

Associate
Lol, just skimmed through that 2 hour video looking for interesting bits, and yup, I didn't find any.

It's just...find a building, enter it, look for stuff, find nothing, and then leave.....rinse repeat. Laughable thing is, people spend hours doing that and claim they enjoy it.

With all its positives over the mod (inventory etc) it'll be a great game when it finally has vehicles, base building, currency to trade with, trader cities, and other new maps. Hang on, that all sounds familiar.

j0s

j0s

Associate
Anyone able to recommend a good hosting company??
I'm thinking of going with Vilayer as they were good in the Mod.

My experience of Vilayer was poor, took 3 days to reply to a sales email. I use gaming deluxe, not had an issue as such with the server apart from the odd DDOS attacks they get

Permabanned
sometimes your char isnt wiped ! sometimes it might say you dead but you arnt try another server instead.

at this early stage as pointed out don't get mad if it does happen though.

Yeah tried that, it happened 2 times, first i was annoyed, second time after hitting NW airfield and coming back to Berezino we changed server to higher pop and it reset again. All that time wasted. Im taking abreak from it anyhow, ill wait for some updates as im playing it too much. Have 196hrs and i took a 2 week break away from it before!!

Soldato
Just purchased this myself after watching a few streams through the week. Ill be playing solo, my worry is that everyone ive seen playing solo die all the time. do many of you roll in groups?

Associate
Well a slightly more interesting weekend on DayZ.

Have noticed on "Normal" level servers there seems to have been an accident with a plane carrying m4a1 carbines. We found a number of them in the West airfield (up until this point we had found only 1 over many searches of newly spawned servers) along with pilots helmets (in various stages of condition) which we have never seen before. Ammo for the m4 seemed to be just about everywhere...

We also had a number of zombies attack by jumping which is another new experience...

I can confirm from my own experience that zombies can, rarely, climb up stairs. I ran in to a barn with very little equipment (hammer and new spawn stuff) and knowing there was a zombie outside ran straight up the stairs on one side of the doors. To my surprise the zombie followed me up. I jumped down, luckily didn't break my legs and ran outside. When outside I saw another zombie (possible the same one that may have teleported) attacking a piece of ground endlessly (combat logger maybe).

We were walking along the side of the West airfield and when searching one of the buildings I thought I saw a blue blur of someone running past. I usually crouch when searching buildings and just pop up briefly to check high places so they probably had not seen me. We moved on and came from the trees to a two story prison building below the fire station. My son tells me he sees someone in blue through the windows. Five minutes then ensure as I ask him where / which window to which he then points to the screen and keeps saying "there, there". After explaining I would rather not take my eyes off the screen and that he should describe which window rather than point we got in sync and lay low under cover outside the building. Never did see the person in blue or enter that building and with no mic, didn't want to risk communication. We then moved under cover up a bit further and saw a guy in combat clothing running towards us. Again we duck and observe. He runs past towards the buildings we had just looted. Again we just move on. Makes me wonder how many times people have done that to us.

THe last encounter was the worst and, at least in part, down to my own stupidity... I was playing Hardcore on my own and checking out the hangers in the West airfiled (yes I like the west airfield). This charactor only has a SKS, badly damaged scope and magnum for guns. He does have a protector case, medical bag and ammo box though fairly well filled up. I had been trying out the scope on the SKS and looking for better quality one and a bipod or an m4 replacement but no luck. I worked my way up to the middle set of hangers and went to the back on one side an started to examine something I had seen... with my back to the enterance. At that time my 6yo decided to come and reason with me to try to get me to allow him to watch more Minecraft videos (he had been told to stop as he had been watching or playing most of the day). 5 minutes of discussion ensued, for which I had to remove my new headset (with mic). After the discussion ended and he went away to watch Team Umizoomi I turn back and put the headphones on to hear "bom, boom" then get the 'You are unconcious' screen. Thinking a zombie had snuck up on me I wiggled around and gained conciousness only to hear "Bang", "Bang", "Bang", "Bang" then fall unconcious again... Some git was shooting me with an m4 by the sound of it whilst my back was turned. My fault for stopping in a stupid position but still not nice of the other player as I was clearly no threat, even when they started shooting. Clearly there was no hope so I logged off (I was pretty much dead anyway so loggoff - with the new 30 sec delay) / respawn are pretty much the same thing in that position).

So my Black Panter guy is gone and surprisingly I am really not too upset. Irritated that I was not there when they were gunned down but a freash start is sometimes good. Strangely I now seem to have gone from a black guy to a black girl. This is all very Quantum Leap. Luckily there is no spandex in sight :D.

Spawned south, got lost, had the barn / zombie up the stairs encounter, found a loot cache that was surprisingly zombie free (usually there are a couple at that place), went to my fav small village to stock up and ended up running around the village chased by 3 zombies with only a hammer (which takes like 20 hits to kill). It was like something out of Benny Hill... Run, dash in to a house, grab what I can while they catch up, exit and get some distance on them then come around again for another pass at a different house. No fire axes found (seem to spawn there now and then) so ran off over the hill to my favorate factory which usually has a good collection of backpacks and fire axes. Lost some blood with the zombie "Ring-around-the-roses" but have bandaged, am hydrated well and in the energized zone although not bright green. Found a hunter backpack, UK assault vest, a fire axe (finally), a hoodie, some food, a saw (for some reason I could not open the cans with the hammer. If I was starving I think I would have had a go ;). Logged out for the night.

Interesting weekend of play. Got a X5 headset for myself and my older son (cheapest I could quickly get with a mic where I am). Really wanted to be able to communicate with other players if I came across them. Will upgrade later as the X5s are cheap plastic, the ear pads cover has come away on both sets showing the foam underneath. The sound is ok for the game but wouldn't use them for music.

Looking forward to going and exploring the shipwreck up north.

Came across a couple of other sets of videos. The ones by the 'Two Scotsmen' are quite funny. I do like the Scots sense of humor a lot of the time. THe one where they meet a herd of people migrating north was great and shows how some people just want to be social and play the game together rather than just "robbin' and stealing". Will link to it when I get home. Found another series as well with some guys sniping the bads and helping the new spawns which was also fairly good.

RB

Soldato
if you go up to the ship mate on a populated server you WILL get killed!

Same with the NE airfield, never seen so many people in one place, its because both the ship and AF are easy to get to within 15 mins of spawning. Case in point once I fell off the stairs in the ship and died, while my mate covered my body i spawned, ran back and got all my gear withing 10 mins!

Server with 10 ppl in, 7 were at the NE AF, get your son a mosin with a long range scope and hunt some of those guys :D

Associate
if you go up to the ship mate on a populated server you WILL get killed!

Same with the NE airfield, never seen so many people in one place, its because both the ship and AF are easy to get to within 15 mins of spawning. Case in point once I fell off the stairs in the ship and died, while my mate covered my body i spawned, ran back and got all my gear withing 10 mins!

Server with 10 ppl in, 7 were at the NE AF, get your son a mosin with a long range scope and hunt some of those guys :D

Most the servers over here in Asia have around 4 or 5 players. The one I got killed in had about 3 other people on it. Bad timing, bad luck and stupidity at not finding somewhare quiet and hidden before chatting about his need to watch minecraft videos got my character killed. What do people do if they have to stop / step away from the machine for 5 minutes. Hide and pray or log out from the server then back in on their return ?.

After getting the headset for my older son, he then informed me that he would rather play TF2 with his mates (which he vary rarely does) than continue playing DayZ with me last night. I am sure he will join in when he gets the choice later in the week but for now ... lone wolf again for a while.

Got the point about the ship. Have been to the NE airfield a bit and no-one there (again very low usage figures on Asia servers I see which is fine by me).

Not sure I like the idea of any vehicles (maybe a bike). Although they would be great fun, I like the solitude in DayZ rather than turning it in to Mad Max. If there are cars / jeeps etc added then would like to see car roadblocks, abandoned traffic jams, very limited fuel, an ecosystem around having to collect parts and fix things. I can see how the DayZ mod seems like a lot of fun but I personally feel it would be a shame of the SA to loose what it currently has. Sure it needs more zombies so even with a fully loaded m4 you can still get seriously overwhelmed. Imagine having to fight off a hord of zombies from the top of the control tower of one of the airfields as the zombies come swarming in from the surrounding areas and up the stairs, ladders. That would be very good.

Long way to go to get something like that but I feel keeping to the Stalker side of the line rather than the DayZ mod side would create a more interesting game. Alternatively give the server mods the ablilty to turn features on and off.

One of the vids I caught last night was long but had a guy trying to help out some new guys. Started trying to fight a new guy then after some fisticuffs took him under his wing. Some of the interactions were fantastic. The new guy "Rookie" and another guy they collected along the way decided to change their characters t-shirts in Electra because they were dirty..... THe guy had to teach them how to run with fists up but then had to keep repeating himself and finally commented that he felt like a gym instructor. Thumbs up to him for working with the new guys but some of the stupid stuff they did and the concepts they had issues grasping really makes you wonder about the state of the world...

RB

RB

Caporegime
no point going to the ship really its like a magnet and no real good loot there most times. so avoid just run up to Svetloyarsk .

the amount of people who don't go there puzzles me as its one of the best loot places and you often get guns within minutes or other great loot and the other airfield is less than 5 minutes run straight left.

having a mic or voice coms is more or less essential in group situations. also makes for great fun when something goes wrong :p

Back
Top Bottom