***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Associate
The only thing they've got about right is the performance - which honestly, considering how the game looks, should have been there to start with, and even so, still has some minor problems here and there. Graphics are meh, passable, but nothing more.

The UI is terrible (if I don't have the pistol equipped I have to go through 7 steps to reload it, 6 if it's equipped), the combat is still clunky and it feels like they've pulled a Bethesda with the "engine upgrade", the AI is bad, the gameplay is still kinda meh (but if you're into Battle Royale type of game with zombies, some survival elements and no time limit, should be fine), game world is build in pure Bohemia's style (like an airsoft playground and not like a place where people and animals lived), still buggy (I can't get into the options, as soon as I click it I get a nice CTD; I've shot a zombie that was near a house, but bullets were hitting only that wall, had to go full Shining on the monster) and so on. If it would have been the first game of its kind, I may have said "ok, let's see what you bring next", however after so much time and many other games, this just feels like a fail. A failed opportunity to do so much more.

Sadly, Bohemia is used to have its loyal fan base that would find excuses for the problems ArmA series has (more so sine it's basically the only game in that genre) and even adding content to keep it alive longer and make it more interesting (just like some do for Bethesda), but times have changed and this is no ArmA. Hopefully they won't mess things up with ArmA 4.

To solve the CTD, delete the dayz folder from my documents. An ago old dayz bug that still exists. The game is not perfect, but the UI isnt that bad at all, takes a bit of preparation with equipment to make reloading easy for example. I have grown quite fond of the UI lately. The zombies are still far from working as they should but at least they have fixed the clipping and other problems. The game as it exists today, is a lot of fun if you put the time in, modding is only in its infancy so that will bring some new elements to the game shortly.

Soldato
The hot bar is 100% vital for reloading. Get your weapon, the magazines for it AND the loose ammo to fill it in your hot bar, then hold down the relevant key for the thing you want to put into what's in your hands (i.e. mag into gun, ammo into mag).

It takes practice if you're used to the old format, but it does make firefights more challenging for all involved as it's so easy to mess up when you're just getting used to it.

Soldato
I still don't fully understand the reloading process. Can someone dumb it down for me?

I mean for guns.
Guns without magazines - have gun in your hands, move ammo into hot bar, and hold down the relevant number for the hot bar to load the ammo into the gun in your hands. Some guns require you to manually cycle the action using R (mosin, pump shotgun).

Guns with magazines - to put rounds into the magazine, do as above but with the magazine in your hand. Then to put the magazine into the gun, put the gun in your hands and move the magazine into hot bar, and hold down the relevant number for the hot bar to load the magazine into the gun in your hands. These guns can jam, so if that happens you'll need to manually cycle the action by pressing R.

Associate
As Above, the important thing is to have the weapon in your hands, then you can chamber or load a magazine into it, weapon depending. Ammo can be loaded into a magazine to make life easier but the secret is preparation.

Soldato
As Above, the important thing is to have the weapon in your hands, then you can chamber or load a magazine into it, weapon depending. Ammo can be loaded into a magazine to make life easier but the secret is preparation.
Very correct. My above post may be misleading in terms of suggesting an order required, but you can (and should) move the ammo and magazines into your hot bar long before needing to reload!

Soldato
Thanks! I have this horrible noise at night time, how can I remove this?

it's the "fuzzy dots" dancing around.
It's been a few weeks since I've played and I don't know if the night time had been fixed, but it was unplayable due to the visual noise. I'd hoped that it had been fixed for full release, but it sounds like not. I stuck to day servers only precisely because night was unplayable even with a torch.

Soldato
To solve the CTD, delete the dayz folder from my documents. An ago old dayz bug that still exists. The game is not perfect, but the UI isnt that bad at all, takes a bit of preparation with equipment to make reloading easy for example. I have grown quite fond of the UI lately. The zombies are still far from working as they should but at least they have fixed the clipping and other problems. The game as it exists today, is a lot of fun if you put the time in, modding is only in its infancy so that will bring some new elements to the game shortly.

Reinstalled the game, then deleted that file like you've suggested and still CTD. When I click the Options the game freezes for a sec or two, then CTD. At least it defaults to the resolution of the desktop and not just 1080p. My God...

The hot bar is 100% vital for reloading. Get your weapon, the magazines for it AND the loose ammo to fill it in your hot bar, then hold down the relevant key for the thing you want to put into what's in your hands (i.e. mag into gun, ammo into mag).

It takes practice if you're used to the old format, but it does make firefights more challenging for all involved as it's so easy to mess up when you're just getting used to it.

Thx, tried it with a shotgun: gun in one slot and in arms while the ammo in the 2nd slot. Kept pressing the key for the 2nd slot and it reloaded the weapon. I would say how on Earth they've thought of this stupid system, but then again, there's the action menu in ArmA :))

Soldato
Thx, tried it with a shotgun: gun in one slot and in arms while the ammo in the 2nd slot. Kept pressing the key for the 2nd slot and it reloaded the weapon. I would say how on Earth they've thought of this stupid system, but then again, there's the action menu in ArmA :))
Hold down the key for the ammo you're trying to load, no need to keep pressing it. Also, the gun doesn't have to be in your hot bar, just in your hands (it's just usually a good idea to have it in your hot bar too so you can access it nice and fast).

Soldato
Well downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about.

Usual run to try and find some stuff, got an gun and some bits and bobs, didnt have to worry about zombies as they all got stuck in doorframes trying to chase me.

Went to reload my pump action shotgun, it wouldn't. Then tried that hotbar trick, it loaded one into the chamber but said I had used 3 out of the 10 that I had.

Tried to reload again to see if it filled the tube but nope, it unloads the gun and now I have 6 and nothing in the gun. Tried once more and it does the action, puts nothing into the gun and splits my ammo stack in half.

It went dark so I tried to find a daytime server, all the ones listed as daytime are actually night and I have to wait 90 seconds to find out as it counts as server hopping!

5 years and its a complete waste of the bandwidth i used to download it, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Soldato
Are there any servers that are day time only ? Or atleast day time when its evening here like now ?

Me and my mate wanna get back into this but not sure we can do much when its dark all the time....

Soldato
OP
Well downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about.

Usual run to try and find some stuff, got an gun and some bits and bobs, didnt have to worry about zombies as they all got stuck in doorframes trying to chase me.

Went to reload my pump action shotgun, it wouldn't. Then tried that hotbar trick, it loaded one into the chamber but said I had used 3 out of the 10 that I had.

Tried to reload again to see if it filled the tube but nope, it unloads the gun and now I have 6 and nothing in the gun. Tried once more and it does the action, puts nothing into the gun and splits my ammo stack in half.

It went dark so I tried to find a daytime server, all the ones listed as daytime are actually night and I have to wait 90 seconds to find out as it counts as server hopping!

5 years and its a complete waste of the bandwidth i used to download it, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I wouldn't put it down just yet.... they're allowing the modding community to get a hold of it! Exile and epoch are re looking... Could be EPIC!

Back
Top Bottom