***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Soldato
OP
To be fair, the game is infinitely better than the mod, from many aspects, the issues are generally down to teething issues with the new engine.

Most want DayZ to be a success but this project changed from purely giving the fans a more updated version of the Arma 2 DayZ mod on the legacy platform, to a platform for not only a (hopefully) great DayZ Standalone vanilla experience, but Arma 4 and beyond. Modding is now available so the ability for people to ‘go wild’ on this new engine. I expect Namalsk map to be released around the same time as 1.0 or by Christmas – it does look epic!

Unreal 4 engine is pushing towards 20 years of development now, Enfusion is 3 or 4 years at the most. Listening to PUBG and other players moaning about the state of the Unreal engine, troubles are definitely not isolated to DayZ.

The biggest criticism I can lay at the devs has been their communication – it’s been pretty dire for the most part. The things that Eugen has discussed in the last two Status Report (SR) have been some of the most honest, but difficult to read, of all the SR’s.

On a positive note, the player base has increased nearly 5x in the past few weeks, which is great to see. There are some, like me, with 1000 hours+ that are just waiting for things to settle down before jumping back on.

Nice post.

I dont think any true Vanilla Dayz fan would ever completely write this off. As you've said, who knows, Arma 4's selling point could include a Dayz SA release.

I still dont hold much hope though haha.

Soldato
I never played the mod but played a lot of Arma 3 - the 'console-ification' of DayZ and the move away from the Arma feel is probably the most disappointing thing to me.

Still, there is no other game out there like it. I've met some great people through talking in game that I'm now good friends with.

Arma 4 devs have taken over engine development so clearly we'll be seeing Arma 4 in either very late 2019 or more likely in 2020. There was a 4 year gap between Arma 2 and Arma 3 and 5 years have passed since Arma 3 was released.

Caporegime
the mod was amazing. not like arma 3. just reinstalled this to give a try and pleasantly surprised. performance is amazing now. looked really good inventory works but still bit odd. maybe this could still work. ran by a light house some guy waving saying Hi! went over and punched him until knocked out. the funny thing is you can now do cpr. so i revived him to knock him out again and then killed him :D .

Soldato
the mod was amazing. not like arma 3. just reinstalled this to give a try and pleasantly surprised. performance is amazing now. looked really good inventory works but still bit odd. maybe this could still work. ran by a light house some guy waving saying Hi! went over and punched him until knocked out. the funny thing is you can now do cpr. so i revived him to knock him out again and then killed him :D .

Part of the reason the game is broke people like you :D

Caporegime
not gunna lie id love to see the people responsable for messing up basically one of the best games ever and put a size 12 boot in em...but...it wouldnt help would it. may make me feel a little better though :p

rather than just cry forever about it. thought id give it a try. with a fresh mind and not trying to hinder what maybe done.

jumped in fps is amazing. 144 minimum close to 200 solid. remember not long ago horrible drops to a slide show. now its constant fluid. the graphics are really nice. really well done. sound is believable. so its actually coming together nicely now. only took them 6 years to get their fingers out their arses but its sorta getting there. the only problem is many wont even give it a try now because of the messing about and the delay.

Soldato
The modded servers make this enjoyable to play again.

Anyone know how to craft a bow and some arrows? No option to combine the usual sharpened sticks and feathers, nor longer branch and rope it seems.

Edit: appears that they've removed this crafting for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Loving this again!!!!
Though I have to learn the game again, I have yet to work out the crafting

It's certainly refreshing to be able to play this again - SCUM is out for me entirely, although they are somewhat different.

Server stability seems to be a big problem (lots of random server crashes/restarts on a variety of servers) but the gameplay is excellent again. Real mix of PvP and non-hostile communication, even mid fight where people discuss a stale-mate and decide to part ways. Happened a couple of times now, and it's really quite enjoyable to come across others who aren't just about killing and not giving a damn if they're killed in the process.

Soldato
Lots of stuff missing from the mod but all in all it feels a lot better to play and have sunk some hours in to it with a friend. Keys bits missing though and it does not help that in my mind its taken 5 years to get to this part,that feels like a 12 month mod release

- GP

Associate
Lots of stuff missing from the mod but all in all it feels a lot better to play and have sunk some hours in to it with a friend. Keys bits missing though and it does not help that in my mind its taken 5 years to get to this part,that feels like a 12 month mod release

- GP

Remember they rebuilt everything, Enfusion engine, animations, gestures, sounds, infected AI, new textures.. new items.. new everything. That isnt just a mod.

Soldato
But the mod was so damn good. It's unlikely I'll get my friends back on it but those evenings where we had 8 of us on at once were amazing. Nothing has come close to giving me the feeling I had whilst playing that game. Even at the end of a long night of looting we we would go back to our base and just sit around a campfire before logging off. We had an awesome base which we left in plain sight and it wasn't ever looted for months. We noticed that at the dam near the NEAF if you rolled near the water edge you could walk on the floor of the dam. We hid about 15/20 tents down there and nearly all of them were full up with weapons, NVGS, ghillie suits, blood, food and bandages. Took us many long nights to amass the collection we had but it meant if you happened to get killed, as long as you could make the long trek up North you would be decked out in amazing gear from the offset.

Good times in Chernarus. May have to revist

Soldato
Remember they rebuilt everything, Enfusion engine, animations, gestures, sounds, infected AI, new textures.. new items.. new everything. That isnt just a mod.

Ofcourse and I agree, but 5 years worth of dev the result is that the performance and inventory management is much better, but overall the game in regards to content has gone back. Sure the engine is new but other than that the textures, sounds at al are just copies of the original so it may be new but it doesn't add anything by itself. I'm sure now its in a reasonable state they can add it all back in, but then its 6 - 7 years down the line. In that time other studios have had multiple releases (I'm not talking about the likes of COD being churned out) for games that are of similar scope. Now that are the plans for all this rebuild work? They cant waste the time they put in to the engine it but whats the plan - does it hold much value to other developers?

My main fear is that the zombie survival market has been flooded with mostly trash games and the likes of Fortnite/PUBG have taken players from the arena/survival aspect - is it too late for the game? Has the player base for it peaked. Certainly I hope not but it feels like it to some degree as players are burned out from the mod and an abysmal version of the game in pre-release-alpha

- GP

Associate
Ofcourse and I agree, but 5 years worth of dev the result is that the performance and inventory management is much better, but overall the game in regards to content has gone back. Sure the engine is new but other than that the textures, sounds at al are just copies of the original so it may be new but it doesn't add anything by itself. I'm sure now its in a reasonable state they can add it all back in, but then its 6 - 7 years down the line. In that time other studios have had multiple releases (I'm not talking about the likes of COD being churned out) for games that are of similar scope. Now that are the plans for all this rebuild work? They cant waste the time they put in to the engine it but whats the plan - does it hold much value to other developers?

My main fear is that the zombie survival market has been flooded with mostly trash games and the likes of Fortnite/PUBG have taken players from the arena/survival aspect - is it too late for the game? Has the player base for it peaked. Certainly I hope not but it feels like it to some degree as players are burned out from the mod and an abysmal version of the game in pre-release-alpha

- GP

They didnt start the new engine until a couple of years into it.

Also, its 5 years next month since Standalone development began, about 3 years since start of new engine, which will be the Arma 4 engine. As for other devs, Enfusion is Bohemia's 'own' engine for their 'own' games. Those other games you talk about started on already established engines.

And as for the sound engine, not sure how you think it all sounds the same, the new audio engine is the new Eden audio from Arma 3 from a couple of years ago, the game sounds totally different!

I just wish the old hardcore DayZ community would just move with the times and realise that were almost into 2019, games get better over the years (unless you like playing a buggy clunky mess of a game on an old ass limited Arma 2 engine), there will be a Standalone Mod eventually which will probably take you guys back to a game from years past.

I kinda get fed up of people going on about the old mod and how fantastic it was, this is DayZ Standalone.

DayZero etc is dead.

Soldato
They didnt start the new engine until a couple of years into it.

Also, its 5 years next month since Standalone development began, about 3 years since start of new engine, which will be the Arma 4 engine. As for other devs, Enfusion is Bohemia's 'own' engine for their 'own' games. Those other games you talk about started on already established engines.

And as for the sound engine, not sure how you think it all sounds the same, the new audio engine is the new Eden audio from Arma 3 from a couple of years ago, the game sounds totally different!

I just wish the old hardcore DayZ community would just move with the times and realise that were almost into 2019, games get better over the years (unless you like playing a buggy clunky mess of a game on an old ass limited Arma 2 engine), there will be a Standalone Mod eventually which will probably take you guys back to a game from years past.

I kinda get fed up of people going on about the old mod and how fantastic it was, this is DayZ Standalone.

DayZero etc is dead.

I am aware of the timelines of when they were working on it and then ditched it for the new engine. To me that doesn't matter as its the time they started and the product that's in play now, starting from scratch 2 years or so in isn't a get out of jail card to be forgiven on half a decade development. I'm also not talking about ARMA, I never mentioned that. I also didn't mention the sound engine, I said the sounds - to me there is no need to use an excuse that they had to redo them all, they had the old files and sounded fine. Certainly when I hear a zombie scream now I can't tell they re-recorded it or whatever.

Nobody in their right mind can stand by what we have now and justify it as 5 years worth of product.

I also never said the mod was fantastic so don't lump me in there. Fanboys of the old mod and fanboys of the standalone alike need to look at it properly and see what it delivered. Neither are or were in a good state - nobody liked walking over a twig and breaking a leg. Same as nobody liked it when zombies teleported around or were stuck in the floor, a problem which is still there.

- GP

Back
Top Bottom