DCS: A-10C Warthog (first screens!)

Lower specs than I expected, wonder how it would run on my system... E6600 and 8800GTS 640MB with W7 x64.

Almost tempted :D

Too bad there's not a demo for this, to see how well it runs. And I've a feeling the actual "gameplay" aspect of it will be lost in all the simulation, as cool as the game looks.

What spec is your aging system? I'll be very interested to know how it performs :)

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.00Ghz
3gb RAM DDR2
256mb 8600M GT

(Yes it's a laptop).

Time for an upgrade I think. To be honest though, I can run Ka-50 with most settings on medium and get around 25fps which although isn't great, It's defiantly playable. On Beta 4 my FPS was around 15 if not lower with everything on low. I'm hoping to at least get into the mid 20's with the release candidate.

It's not a release candidate, it is the Final. We have been internally testing the RC for a while now. You should expect an nice bump in performance from Beta 4.

From the front page..............

“DCS: A-10C WARTHOG” Released

DUXFORD, UK, February 21, 2011 – The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics now offer “DCS: A-10C Warthog” as a digital download for $59.99.

Purchase "DCS: A-10C Warthog" at:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop&lang=en

"DCS: A-10C Warthog" is a PC simulation of the U.S. premier Close Air Support attack aircraft. This is the second aircraft in the DCS series, following DCS: Black Shark, and raises the bar even higher in the DCS series. Warthog brings the most realistic PC simulation of a modern fixed wing combat aircraft in regards to flight dynamics, avionics, sensors, and weapon systems. You also have the option to play Warthog in "Game" mode for a casual game experience. Fly missions in the Caucuses region of the Black Sea against and with a wide array of air, land and sea forces with new and improved intelligence. Create your own missions and campaigns with the included Mission and Campaign Editors, and fly with and against friends online using the included online game browser.

Key Features:
• Fly the A-10C “Warthog” in either realistic or game modes.
• Fly missions in Georgia and Russia.
• Interactive training missions shallow the learning curve dramatically.
• Rich campaigns and single missions included.
• Multiplayer cooperative and head-to-head.
• Mission and Campaign editors allow user created content.
• The most realistic flight dynamics ever done for a PC simulation.
• Huge array of land, air and sea units to flight along and against.
• Ability to command ground forces during missions with radio commands.
• Fully interactive Forward Air Controller (FAC) that helps you find targets.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog

System recommendation
Operating system: 64-bit Windows XP, Vista, and 7
Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better
Memory: 4GB
Hard disk space: 7 GB
Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT DirectX 9.0c or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
DirectX®: 9.0C

About The Fighter Collection:
The Fighter Collection, as well as developing software for the entertainment and serious game markets, also operates, rebuilds and maintains Europe's largest collection of airworthy WWII fighters and is based at Duxford Airfield, in the UK. For more information visit our websites: http://www.fighter-collection.com/

Trailer:

Nate

Last edited:
I've had my Thrustmaster Warthog on pre-order since Friday. OC say stock expected today, so I'm hoping to receive it tomorrow. Saitek rudder pedals on their way, too :)

Been learning on the beta for a while, but there's a lot to learn. Definitely going to sink a lot of hours into this.

picked this up (finally) today in the Direct2Drive sale (20% off - making it around 31 quid)

I was a bit of a sceptic as from screenies it looked a bit too much like an improved Lockon (graphics wise)

initially I was a bit disappointed, lots of menus looked quite Lockon like

but in-game - ok looks a bit like Lockon but improved graphics wise

but far more important - the physics feel much better - the flight model of the A10 is sublime - a joy to fly

been playing for a few hours - and overall 30 quid well worth spent :)

For those thinking about buying this be aware!

They have changed how to multiplayer works at the last minute on the final
release ....... of course they never let us know this when we bought
the Beta..... and they still do not publish this on the buy game web page ...

Like the UBI soft DRM protection system this game requires
CONSTANT CONNECTION to their MASTER SERVER or after 30 seconds the games crashes out

This is required for ALL multiplayer modes including LAN mode
So you cannot play the game in LAN mode if the LAN canot connect to the net

The biggest issue will of course be uptime of their master server and also
the million and one things that could go wrong stopping you from connecting to it

At least the rise of Flight game clearly states constant connection

Buyer beware

Like the UBI soft DRM protection system this game requires
CONSTANT CONNECTION to their MASTER SERVER or after 30 seconds the games crashes out

This is required for ALL multiplayer modes including LAN mode
So you cannot play the game in LAN mode if the LAN canot connect to the net

The biggest issue will of course be uptime of their master server and also
the million and one things that could go wrong stopping you from connecting to it

It's nothing like Ubisoft's DRM, so please don't spread such rubbish.

The master server has been running constantly without issue for Black Shark and FC2 for a couple of years, so why should the same server in a new sim be any different.

It's nothing like Ubisoft's DRM, so please don't spread such rubbish.

The master server has been running constantly without issue for Black Shark and FC2 for a couple of years, so why should the same server in a new sim be any different.

Is it the always on type or did he make a mistake?

I would like to know as I was planning on buying the A10 to go with the ka-50.

Oh dear God

Why do people think a Single point of Failure is a good idea ?

There is a big difference between the master server going off line it it is only needed to serve a list of current servers ....
effect = I give my mates my IP and they all connect and play
This is how things should work (DCS Black shark)

With DCS A-10C it is different
Master server goes offline you loose master list and ability to login
effect = You now cannot host and gives your mates your IP = you cannot play

You want to play in a LAN environment that has no connection to internet
effect = you cannot play the game

Something happens to the master server when you are 3 hours into a mission
with your mates ( 30 seconds of disconnect is all that is needed) eg a issue in their ISP , server glitch a million other things yadda yadda
effect = the awesome multiplayer game is ended

So to re-cap connection to the master server dropping at any time kills game session

Does this make it any clearer as to why this is such a bad idea ?

Last edited:
just watched the video on page 1 of this thread and i must say i am very imprerssed with the quality of the graphics.

Is this actual gameplay or just the cinematics?

HAWX had a good cinematic intro but relatively poor ingame graphics in comparrison.

Is it the always on type or did he make a mistake?

I would like to know as I was planning on buying the A10 to go with the ka-50.

No it's nothing to do with the DRM whatsoever, the DRM requires only that you activate with your licence key once, that's it.

Connection to the ED master server is required for multiplayer and multiplayer alone, and is used for the server browser, and hopefully in time persistant pilot stats etc. It is exactly the same master server than runs the server browser in FC2 or Black Shark, and in the time since those sims were released has only gone down for a short period a couple of times while ED do upgrades of maintenance.

However, with that in mind, lurkio is correct that IF the master server were to go down at all or you lost connection for any reason for more than 30 seconds you'd loose your multiplay connection. This has been pointed out to ED and there are looking at MAYBE extending that 30 second window.

This has only been done as a step towards adding much more functionality to multiplayer, not for any other reason.

Back
Top Bottom