Dead Space (Remake)

Soldato
I had to turn fsr onto performance (which looked ****) as it maxing out all 16 of my cores on a 3700x (so hardly a slow cpu). I'm using a 6900xt and gaming at 1080p and it's still not smooth. I've given up on it as the stuttering is atrocious. Bit annoyed I couldn't get a refund despite having played less than 2 hours on it.
Using FSR/Performance wouldn't help much with CPU issues as it will mainly just reduce the load on the GPU. Maybe it got worse since launch or does not like old AMD CPUs but performed okay in limited test from a CPU POV on my ancient 5820K. I played using an EA Play sub on release so I cannot actually test how the current performance is. Going by comments it seems to hit or miss whether it performs well on a given system.

Associate
Installed this last night from Games Pass on the Xbox. Very enjoyable so far, I played it when it was originally released, but can't remember anything.
Didn’t even notice this was on game pass, nearly bought it separately! Installed it after reading your post and played the first few hours, seems like a decent remake so far

Permabanned
I bought this in September on steam but only tried it last week. Can't get a refund but game is unplayable. I had to turn fsr onto performance (which looked ****) as it maxing out all 16 of my cores on a 3700x (so hardly a slow cpu). I'm using a 6900xt and gaming at 1080p and it's still not smooth. I've given up on it as the stuttering is atrocious. Bit annoyed I couldn't get a refund despite having played less than 2 hours on it.
That's weird?

I finally got it yesterday and just played it for 3 hours on a 5700X/4070 at 4K using FSR balanced, I'm getting an average 58 FPS with the test with everything maxed but RT turned off, and in actual gameplay Riva Statistics Server reported 60FPS constantly, to the point where I just turned it off after an hour and got immersed in the game - I play it via a 4K 60Hz TV with a controller, so cap my FPS on all games at 60 for obvious reasons.

My 5700X wasn't breaking a sweat % usage wise nor temps either?

I get a micro stutter when entering new bigger areas via a door, but there is 'no loading screens' in the game, so that's fine by me. During combat/exploring levels, the gameplay is silky smooth.

I'm absolutely loving it, it is such a decent and true to the original remake, the muscle memory is outstanding with a PS4 controller.

Soldato
I'm a big fan of Evil within games and just finished Res evil village, currently on Res evil 4 remake. These type games I love so when I tried this game on game pass I got nothing from it. I've no idea why? It ran flawlessly played 4K but it just didn't grab me. Maybes it's the setting I don't know and I may try again sometime but a.no from me.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's weird?

I finally got it yesterday and just played it for 3 hours on a 5700X/4070 at 4K using FSR balanced, I'm getting an average 58 FPS with the test with everything maxed but RT turned off, and in actual gameplay Riva Statistics Server reported 60FPS constantly, to the point where I just turned it off after an hour and got immersed in the game - I play it via a 4K 60Hz TV with a controller, so cap my FPS on all games at 60 for obvious reasons.

My 5700X wasn't breaking a sweat % usage wise nor temps either?

I get a micro stutter when entering new bigger areas via a door, but there is 'no loading screens' in the game, so that's fine by me. During combat/exploring levels, the gameplay is silky smooth.

I'm absolutely loving it, it is such a decent and true to the original remake, the muscle memory is outstanding with a PS4 controller.
That's what made it difficult when searching for a solution. Some guy coming online and saying I get no stuttering on ps5 is really helpful when I'm trying to troubleshoot it on pc :rolleyes: .
I actually had to enable FSR as otherwise it was just turning into a slides how. I had afterburner up and it was essentially downloading my gpu to be the same as when I'm broslwsing the Web, think the gpu clock went to say 10MHz, just couldn't figure out why. I might try reinstalling it, but it verified OK.

Permabanned
That's what made it difficult when searching for a solution. Some guy coming online and saying I get no stuttering on ps5 is really helpful when I'm trying to troubleshoot it on pc :rolleyes: .
I actually had to enable FSR as otherwise it was just turning into a slides how. I had afterburner up and it was essentially downloading my gpu to be the same as when I'm broslwsing the Web, think the gpu clock went to say 10MHz, just couldn't figure out why. I might try reinstalling it, but it verified OK.
What'd you mean, PS5 trolling is the first step at diagnosing PC? :p Just take the **** out of them and say well your 4K is just 1440p chequerboarding nonsense!

FWIW, this was on a clean install I'd literally just done then and there, I decided I fancied doing a BIOS update/clean install with the latest drivers, so just went OCD, only installed that + firefox/vlc/afterburner/riva/steam, and installed Dead Space/Halo Infinite MP/The Callisto Protocol... And it just 'worked' so there is something dodgy going on there, as your 6900 XT is made for that game, I'd definitely do a reinstall of the game? Maybe a DDU in safe mode and clean latest GPU drivers?

Soldato
Competed this recently & absolutely loved it. I bought the original at the time it came out but fortunately couldn't remember a thing about it so there were no spoilers :D

Soldato
I bought this in September on steam but only tried it last week. Can't get a refund but game is unplayable. I had to turn fsr onto performance (which looked ****) as it maxing out all 16 of my cores on a 3700x (so hardly a slow cpu). I'm using a 6900xt and gaming at 1080p and it's still not smooth. I've given up on it as the stuttering is atrocious. Bit annoyed I couldn't get a refund despite having played less than 2 hours on it
Mate the 3700x goes for about £65/70 on the members market. It's coming up for 5 years old now. I wouldn't call it a powerhouse of a CPU that's for sure :S

Soldato
By modern standards it's pretty slow. For gaming I don't think it was ever even that fast :p Don't get me wrong I thought they were decent chips from a perf/pound pov at launch and good enough for gaming but that was nearly 5 years ago. Are you not tempted to stick something like a 5700X3D in there? :p

Permabanned
I've tried redownloading it, but not sure even I'll give it a go. Maybe tonight when the kids are in bed.
I'd personally do a DDU and fresh up to date drivers before reinstalling it. As I say I by fluke had just done a fresh Win10 install with the latest drivers, and mine runs flawlessly at 4K with DLSS and everything maxed with only RT/PT off. It makes 58-60fps on the benchmark and in actual gameplay is 60 throughout - I have mine capped at 60fps as it's played via a 4k60hz tv, but it is silky smooth and only has a micro stutter when entering a new area, which I don't mind as there is no loading screens throughout the game, during actual gameplay/combat/running about etc frantically, it never stutters. I'm now on Chapter 4 and yeah nothing has changed.

Oh and FYI the 5700x was only about 46-53% usage from memory with my 4070 at 96-100%, so zero bottlenecking going on. Definitely sounds like your CPU could be an issue if it's being ragged as hard as you mention?

@opethdisciple that's strange, I played a bit of TCP before starting Dead Space, I did a fair bit of one of the challenge modes with the hoards (whatever it's called) and had no stutters/issues?

No joke I randomly decided to do a fresh Win10 install, and bought literally TCP/DS at the same time and installed them both, they're the only 2 games I haven't got since building my pc, and 2 of the games I built it for, but I'd waited for the prices to go down and found them both cheap on a key site so bought both at once.

Last edited:
Soldato
By modern standards it's pretty slow. For gaming I don't think it was ever even that fast :p Don't get me wrong I thought they were decent chips from a perf/pound pov at launch and good enough for gaming but that was nearly 5 years ago. Are you not tempted to stick something like a 5700X3D in there? :p
You must be trolling, Google tells me it's only 20% slower than a 5700x3d. Besides, deadspace should not be maxing my cpu, especially if a series s can run it :D .

Soldato
It's not been running terrible bad, generally smooth. But sometimes it seems to load a new area and it can turn into a slideshow for a good 20 seconds or so.

As much as I annoyed by the performance issues, I'm enjoying myself.
I replayed the orginal back in '21 and I don't remember it being this scary, the sound design and music really knock it up a notch.

Soldato
Just wanted to add, does anyone else find the game overwhelmingly dark.
I'm using the recommended settings and it seems like I constantly walking around with my weapon up to see where I'm going.

I don't remember the original being this bad.

Permabanned
Just wanted to add, does anyone else find the game overwhelmingly dark.
I'm using the recommended settings and it seems like I constantly walking around with my weapon up to see where I'm going.

I don't remember the original being this bad.
It's right in a lot of places but I agree the default recommended setting is a joke, I think I'll bump it up a bit, however I believe it is correct in most places because it's meant to be terrifying/dark, and the element of looking around more to find sneaky items makes sense versus just making it easy for you, after all it is a tension based/quick thinking non pausable inventory based game like the OG.

Back
Top Bottom