Dell P2414H 24" Monitor Thread

Soldato
My U2414H seems to have some blacklight bleed in the bottom left along the bottom and slightly up the side.

What do you guys think?
0E8CB820-B2B5-40B5-B2B4-85A8D893F032_zpsu7iwkclt.jpg

Soldato
Infact think I am going to return it for a replacement its very noticeable.

Also That yellow glow to the right I take it that ips glow? It moves and disapears when you move your head. Just seems to be in one huge spot.

Should I go dell or the company I bought it with?

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone with the P2414H experienced aliasing issues on fonts or images? I changed to the P2414H and I'm finding the pixel edges just aren't clean at all compared to what I have at work, which technically is a inferior monitor. I'm wondering whether it's the higher pixel pitch?

Last edited:
Associate
gord: Checked your scaling/overscan? Shouldn't look anything but sharp if connected with DVI or DP.

Alternately it does have a light AG coating... if you're coming from a gloss screen it can slightly soften the pixel edges from some angles but if the P2414H is like the U2414H in this regard (I believe so from the reviews) this is not an issue.

Associate
Reading through this thread got my so interested in the P2414H and then subsequently the U2414H that I ended up making a new thread to decide between them and none-IPS monitors.

Have any of you come from standard LCD's and used the Dell for normal office / programming type work?

Soldato
Ok just off webchat and they sending me a new monitor out and picking my old one up. I just told them that the blacklight bleed was at an unacceptable level.
I asked before I requested a replacement that if the replacement is not suitable or worse can I return it for a refund he said yes.

I really hope the new one is fine as I really want to keep it.

What I think is isp glows seems to disappear after a little distance which is grand but I went to the other side of the room and took a photo of the problem area.

The right side is just the window reflection. The room is not dark

DF066454-6C1C-48AD-B53A-498A5308CAD7_zpskwwk7kwz.jpg

Reading through this thread got my so interested in the P2414H and then subsequently the U2414H that I ended up making a new thread to decide between them and none-IPS monitors.

Have any of you come from standard LCD's and used the Dell for normal office / programming type work?

I just picked up the U2414h and I love it apart from the blacklight bleed I have on mine. Its bezel is very slim and stand if brilliant. It looks like kinda a cross of an office and studio monitor to me.

colors right out of the box where really good.

Associate
Ok just off webchat and they sending me a new monitor out and picking my old one up. I just told them that the blacklight bleed was at an unacceptable level.
I asked before I requested a replacement that if the replacement is not suitable or worse can I return it for a refund he said yes.

Was this with Dell directly ?

My U2414H is on its way now, hopefully it has no issues :)

Has there been any mention/rumor of a U2714H ? i know there is a P2714H.

Soldato
Was this with Dell directly ?

My U2414H is on its way now, hopefully it has no issues :)

Has there been any mention/rumor of a U2714H ? i know there is a P2714H.

no with NO COMPETITOR TALK!

fingers crossed we good ones. I would have kept it if it was not as bad. what makes mine really noticeable is there are two spots on the side and the bottom and they kinda join and make a bigger spot. Can notice it on my dark desktop wallpaper in general use.

Associate
Cheers bigpig, interesting to read about ips bleed. i just put up with my dell monitor being **** after i discovered whites and greys all looked the same. no amount of adjustment could fix. has to get a new one

Associate
Just set up my P2414H, absolutely LOVE it! So much better than my old monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on what I should tweak settings wise? (If anything, the colours seem pretty good to me already)

Soldato
Just set up my P2414H, absolutely LOVE it! So much better than my old monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on what I should tweak settings wise? (If anything, the colours seem pretty good to me already)

Yup, don't touch anything in that case. It's nicely set up out of the box and if you're happy leave it as is. I assume you've just lowered the brightness a bit? That's generally all you need to do. :)

Associate
Yup, don't touch anything in that case. It's nicely set up out of the box and if you're happy leave it as is. I assume you've just lowered the brightness a bit? That's generally all you need to do. :)

Yep, currently got it at 45. Seems to be about right for me as I use a lamp which gives of a fairly soft light instead of the usual top lights. Also I must say my desk looks a lot tidier now that I have that little cable routing hole, it also turns out I can charge my iPod from the USB hub as well, which I wasn't expecting! :D

Associate
Got my U2414H today, so far very pleased, installed the software which decided to change the profile when ever i loaded a game :p so that got removed right away.

as for the IPS glow / back light bleed. when in normal use its not noticeable, only when on a full black screen. and then its nothing like some of the horror pictures some others have linked, and it seems like the chance of getting a 100% perfect monitor is near impossible so il just accept it :)

Plan to order my self a second, unless i hear of a U2714H coming out :p

Soldato
Got my replacement today. The bottom left seems to be a problem area on these screens.

This time it's not as intrusive. Unless I get the full black screen up. Think Iv got a keeper.

Soldato
Got my replacement today. The bottom left seems to be a problem area on these screens.

This time it's not as intrusive. Unless I get the full black screen up. Think Iv got a keeper.

God I just cant live with this..... Am normally not a picky person but when you add in the ips glow it's not acceptable to me started to notice it in surfing the web

There 4 places I can see what I thin is blacklight bleed?
Can notice isp glow half way across a room?

sorry for poor pictures only have my phone

5BA9E907-3011-4772-BF8B-4FD6FB9910BC_zps4betjmqp.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Associate
@Bigpig what brightness is that screen on ?

I have been considering if i should send my U2414H back, but looking at the ones you have had, ive got a keeper :o or does have a white glow bottom left, and yellow bottom right (not as bad as the white) and then very very slight at the top right, but you don't notice this unless its full black screen.

but the bottom left you notice when on dark load screens for games, or watching movies.

I have a second one on order now, if that is half as bad as the one you just linked, il be sending it back.

Soldato
50%

yup can really notice the left side in use. There is ips glow there just highlights the blacklight bleed. This one is not as bad as the one I sent back but to me not acceptable.

The yellow glow is not really noticeable but the camera makes it worse.

What rev is your screen. both of mine have been 00

Associate
God I just cant live with this..... Am normally not a picky person but when you add in the ips glow it's not acceptable to me started to notice it in surfing the web

There 4 places I can see what I thin is blacklight bleed?
Can notice isp glow half way across a room?
Bigpig, that definitely looks like backlight bleed, not IPS glow.

From the evidence here and elsewhere, it seems pretty obvious to me that this model is prone to excessive backlight bleeding, with the bottom left corner being a consistently weak spot. Of course it's in issue you could potentially run into with more or less any LCD/LED panel, but from my own experience and from what I've been reading, the P2414H is a particularly bad example of the breed - as I said above, my replacement is better than the one I was originally saddled with, but it's still completely put to shame by the 42" LG HDTV (IPS panel) I have hooked up as a second monitor, which frankly is a pretty sorry state of affairs.

There do seem to be some (relatively) good ones out there, but unless you have the time and patience to keep swapping them out in the hope that you'll eventually get lucky, my advice to you would be to consider other options.

Soldato
Bigpig, that definitely looks like backlight bleed, not IPS glow.

From the evidence here and elsewhere, it seems pretty obvious to me that this model is prone to excessive backlight bleeding, with the bottom left corner being a consistently weak spot. Of course it's in issue you could potentially run into with more or less any LCD/LED panel, but from my own experience and from what I've been reading, the P2414H is a particularly bad example of the breed - as I said above, my replacement is better than the one I was originally saddled with, but it's still completely put to shame by the 42" LG HDTV (IPS panel) I have hooked up as a second monitor, which frankly is a pretty sorry state of affairs.

There do seem to be some (relatively) good ones out there, but unless you have the time and patience to keep swapping them out in the hope that you'll eventually get lucky, my advice to you would be to consider other options.

I think what you're actually witnessing here is a monitor that has become extremely popular due to the price and performance on offer - rightfully so. Because of that, it has gained a heck of a lot of attention. You therefore have a lot of people posting about issues they have with the monitor on forums like this. But you don't hear from all of the users who are extremely satisfied with their purchase. I do... I see things from both sides. And I'm also very experienced with these 'alternatives' of which you speak. The fact of the matter is, if you're after a relatively cheap IPS model then this is one of the best on offer from every perspective - including the likelihood of getting a unit with decent enough backlight uniformity.

This issue of concentrated negative posting is made worse by the fact that people are lumping together the U2414H and P2414H. Different monitors, different constructions and different panels. The latest example here shows an extremely overexposed (look at the power light) image of the U2414H which exacerbates the issue massively. But there is definitely still an issue with the model being shown here. The extremely thin-bezelled construction of the U2414H does make it more prone to these issues than the P2414H. Looking at the bigger picture, the P2414H is simply one of the better affordable IPS models out there.

Associate
I see things from both sides. And I'm also very experienced with these 'alternatives' of which you speak. The fact of the matter is, if you're after a relatively cheap IPS model then this is one of the best on offer from every perspective - including the likelihood of getting a unit with decent enough backlight uniformity.

This issue of concentrated negative posting is made worse by the fact that people are lumping together the U2414H and P2414H. Different monitors, different constructions and different panels.
Well, I'm not a professional tester, but this isn't exactly the first LCD monitor I've ever owned :p . I'm still of the opinion that the P2414H is nowhere near as good as it should be - no it's not an expensive monitor, but it's not an ultra-bargain-basement cheapie either.

I'm well aware of the existence of the backlight lottery; however, the fact that there's a *consistent* issue with one particular area of the panel suggests to me that there's a fundamental problem here, maybe with the design/production of the LM238WF* panels themselves given that the P2414H, U2414H and LG 24EA53VQ all seem to suffer a high incidence of excessive backlight bleed in the bottom left corner.

As for the people who are satisfied with their purchase *shrug*, well, good for them - maybe they got lucky, or maybe they're simply more willing to put up with what they're given, but it's not much comfort for people who don't fall into either of those categories.

Back
Top Bottom